YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Moderator if you think this is in wrong thread then please feel free to move it.

Is HELL endothermic or exothermic?

The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington
chemistry mid-term exam.

The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it
with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have
the pleasure of enjoying it as well.

Here is the "Bonus Question" on the exam:
Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law
(gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:
First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we
need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at
which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a
soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different
Religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state
that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since
there are more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to
more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth
and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to
increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's
Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay
the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are
added.

This gives two possibilities:

1.. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls
enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until
all Hell breaks loose.

2.. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in
Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes
over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa (a girlfriend of mine
during my Freshman year) that, "it will be a cold day in Hell before I
sleep with you", and take into account the fact that I slept with her
last night, then number 2 must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is
Exothermic and has already frozen over.

The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it
follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore,
extinct... leaving only Heaven thereby proving the existence of a divine being which
explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting "Oh my God."

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED THE ONLY "A."

·
412 Posts
Im not one for writing profanities but..

that was fu*king great
:teeth:

·
life is too short
1,987 Posts
superb.... that is getting copied and e-mailed....
green en route

·
Registered
140 Posts
yazzyfooty said:
Any Moderator if you think this is in wrong thread then Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law
(gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.
Is this not a diving forum ?
Boyles law is for isothermal compression (there is no change in temperature)

Boyle's law

The students meant Charles' law

Charles's law

Of course they are both just simplifications or one unifying gas law

Ideal gas law

One can not really use the ideal gas law as the basic assumption is the size of the particles are small compared to the mean free path. The people also should not interact (bump into each other). This is probably not true in Hell (if two have to share the same cell / shake hands)

The more general van der Waals equation is then a better approximation

Van der Waals equation

Or will the hell corrections

Hell corrections to Van der Waals equations

Tony
ps do I get a green from all those that posted how funny it was ;-)

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
Tony Jay said:
Is this not a diving forum ?
Boyles law is for isothermal compression (there is no change in temperature)

Boyle's law

The students meant Charles' law

Charles's law

Of course they are both just simplifications or one unifying gas law

Ideal gas law

One can not really use the ideal gas law as the basic assumption is the size of the particles are small compared to the mean free path. The people also should not interact (bump into each other). This is probably not true in Hell (if two have to share the same cell / shake hands)

The more general van der Waals equation is then a better approximation

Van der Waals equation

Or will the hell corrections

Hell corrections to Van der Waals equations

Tony
ps do I get a green from all those that posted how funny it was ;-)

When did Nigel H turn into Tony.:)

·
Registered
140 Posts
dry suit diver said:
When did Nigel H turn into Tony.:)
I've just been a pedant in another place...
Tony

ps check out the best Free palm CCR TMX GF deco program (shame I seem to have misplaced the source code...)

·
Going down and loving it
831 Posts
Heres another one to balance out the equation

Is Heaven hotter than Hell?

The temperatures of Heaven and of Hell are not given specifically in the Bible. That may be because the various temperature scales ~ Fahrenheit, Celsius, Rankin and Kelvin, were not created by the 1st century CE. However, there is sufficient data available to calculate the temperature of Heaven. The maximum temperature of Hell can also be determined.
Heaven's temperature:

Isaiah 30:26 states: "Moreover, the light of the Moon shall be as the light of the Sun and the light of the Sun shall be sevenfold, as the light of seven days."

One individual interpreted this passage as meaning that the radiation received by Heaven from the sun is 7 times 7 or 49 times as much as the earth does today. 1 Added to that is the contribution of the moon which would equal the present amount that the earth receives from the sun. Thus Heaven would receive (49 + 1) or 50 times the radiation as the earth does today.

The Stefan-Boltzmann law for radiation links the temperature of an object with the amount of radiation received. It would predict that the temperature of heaven would be 498 degrees Celsius hotter than the earth is currently. Thus heaven would be about 525 °C or 977 °F.

However, this temperature would only be the "steady-state" temperature. Presumably Heaven was created shortly after Earth so that it would be ready for its first inhabitants: Abel, Adam and Eve.

Revelation 21:17 says that the walls of New Jerusalem are 144 cubits thick. This is about 66 meters or 216 feet. Such a thick wall would be an effective insulator. Heaven would thus have taken many months to reach its equilibrium temperature. But it presumably has reached about 525 °C today.

Hell's Temperature: Revelation 21:8 states

"But the fearful, and unbelieving ... shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone."

Brimstone is sulphur. In order for sulphur to be molten, its temperature must be at or below 444.6 °C or 832 °F.

Thus heaven is at least 80 °C or 145 °F hotter than Hell.

Assuming that the glorified bodies that the inhabitants have in Heaven are as sensitive to heat as our present earthly bodies, then they would suffer greatly; Heaven would become worse than Hell. Since that cannot happen, due to theological considerations, Heaven must have some very effective methods of air conditioning to handle the excess incoming radiation.

·
12,604 Posts
are you sure sulphur is molten below the figure quoted as I remember sulphur powderfrom school and given that it was 20 deg C in the labs, using your figures it should be molten at room temp

sorry just being a pedant this morning

·
Going down and loving it
831 Posts
dry suit diver said:
are you sure sulphur is molten below the figure quoted as I remember sulphur powderfrom school and given that it was 20 deg C in the labs, using your figures it should be molten at room temp

sorry just being a pedant this morning

So your schools temperature was at or just below 444.6 °C. I know sometimes school was hell but.....

·
12,604 Posts
Luddite said:
So your schools temperature was at or just below 444.6 °C. I know sometimes school was hell but.....

Eh?

Powder is a solid, molten indicates liquid.

you are saying that below 444.6 Deg it is molten in the first post. or am i still being a pedant:)

·
Going down and loving it
831 Posts
dry suit diver said:
Eh?

you are saying that below 444.6 Deg it is molten in the first post. or am i still being a pedant:)

OK pedant. Sulphur boils at 444.6 °C so it can not be a liquid above that temperature. Therefore hell can not get above 444.6 °C and since sulphur melts at 115.21 °C hell can not be any cooler then that.

I hope thats settled now and just enjoy the thing.

Regards

Luddite BSc Hon.

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
dry suit diver said:
Eh?

Luddite is correct. To use water as an analogy. Water is solid below 0 deg. C, but if it is molten (ie liquid) then it must be be below 100 deg. C.

Similarly, Sulphur is solid at room temperature, and melts at 120-ish deg. C. It boils at around 444 deg. C. Luddite was using the 444 deg. C figure to establish an upper limit for the temperature of Helen. In order for it to be "molten at room temperature" you must have a very warm classroom.

Janos

PS - You are not being a pedant. You are arguing a point. A pedant is someone who argues over minor details, such as the meaning of the word pedant.

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
The initial assumption is flawed. Different religions allow escape from Hell, some have no Hell so won't be going there, some used to have a Hell but don't anymore, some didn't have a Hell but do now, some have a Hell but nobody goes there... so you can't make any assumptions about the mass of all the souls there. In fact, not all religions send souls, some send other bits. It's too variable and the mass must be changing quite a bit. Also, not all Hells are hot, some are cold.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Damn, I only looked at this thread cos I thought Boyle finally got layed. He's needed to for as long as I have known him!!!!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I think his boyles burst

I think his boyles burst due to Katie sitting on it whenn it was just below 444deg but was that c or e or c of e :teeth:

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
See, even the geeks can't answer the question properly.

So what is, or who was Boyles lay?

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just a tiny one

I thought this thread was dead and buried weeks ago. Its amazing how one tiny little teeny weeny typo ie typing the letter Y instead of a W can keep people amused. Or are we just a tad bored and waiting for Chrimbo?
Keep making me smile.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts