YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Thanks for previous info, on which I ordered a SS BP from combro and have details on how to rig a harness.

Last bit is the wing... what do you good folk recommend and where is it cheapest. By the way, is £170 for a diverite tecwing a good price

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

Online scuba have still got a Buddy Redwing for £60 as far as I know. You can't go wrong with it.

That's what I'd do, save myself £100 in the process. I dive a very similar rig myself (TekWing) and love it to bits.

You'll have to burn holes for the bolts, or I've heard of people doing it with eyelets.

Another one I'd check before buying is divebag.co.uk They try and hold cheapest prices for most mainstream products, and can be a good indicator of different options you may not have considered.

Hope this helps.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

errr... sorry I've bought the redwing.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kirky @ April 14 2003,19:58)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]By the way, is £170 for a diverite tecwing a good price
Not when you can buy a Trekwing for £126 or a Classic or Recwing for £139 from places like DiveAtlantis, no

Haven't bought anything from them, tho, so they might be a dreadful place to shop, for all I know.

Me, I went for a Buddy Tekwing & Combro backplate, and haven't regretted it yet. Tho I might be tempted by a classic if I went higher than twin 7s..

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

diverswarehouse do the oms 100lb single bladder for £206.

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
1,403 Posts
Imported post

I got the redwing this morning.  gotta say, theres nowt wrong with these as a main wing.  i switched the side that the inflator hose was on and will be putting a coupla holes in it for the bp and there you go, a wing!!

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

I thought about getting it myself, but haven't really got the cash (being a student n'all).

I really like the buddy wings. I've got the TekWing myself, and prefer it to the CD wings I've used, and I just can't see anything to go wrong with it. It's a doughnut shaped plastic bag in a cover. No bungees, no faff, 2 d-rings on the outside for securing kit where you need them, ideal.

In short, I'd reccommend them to pretty much anyone. I don't see why people are paying over £100 for wings. Theyr'e so easy to make, and you can get them at these prices, so why pay over £200 for the OMS? Lots of stuff to go wrong on one of those.

·
1,403 Posts
Imported post

In short, I'd reccommend them to pretty much anyone. I don't see why people are paying over £100 for wings. Theyr'e so easy to make,
Interesting.  Have you made your own wing?  I'd be interesteed to know if anyone has...

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

It can't be that hard. I reckon a few days with the right plastics and some serious glue and I could make a wing. Oh god, I've just decided on my next DIY project...

No, seriously, it's not like a BCD where the fit's got to be exact, and all these extra bits and bobs. It's just a doughnut! It doesn't even need to be that! It could just be a big circle, and that tanks will stop it overinflating in the middle.

I guess I should try and make one before I decry how easy they are to make...

·
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Ok here goes...

Get an old DSMB.  
Bend it round your neck.
Seal the open end.
Cover it in canvas (black).  
Tie the ends together at the bottom.  
Stick it to a bit of canvas with some holes in.
Fit a dump valve and an inflator off an old ABLJ.
Sorted.

Double its re-sale value by nicking some OMS labels.

Competition for the cheapest homemade wing starts here!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

I got an OMS bladder with 100lb lift from Andy Hayhurst. Nice and red too!!!!

Only cost £170 cash.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts