YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Madame Wheelie-Bin
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after some good advice from here, I finally ordered my shiny brand new dry suit. I decided to go for a membrane, and before you "serious" divers laugh I went for the Typhoon ladies MTM (price was a consideration). It should arrive in a week or so.

My LDS have offered me a free pool dive to test the new suit, which I'm going to take them up on.

Here's the question! Although I've been diving 2 years I still class myself as a newee. Do I dive with a very experienced buddy on my first real OW dive with the new suit just in case something happens, or do I go along with HWMBO who has also bought a new suit and isn't as experienced with dry suits as I am?

Or doesn't it matter because I've tested it in the pool???

Please, no agressive or sarcastic comments!!! I am not as experienced at diving as you lot and wondered what you thought. I bow down to your superior knowledge!!!

Personally I am leaning towards going with my instructor buddy who I have only ever had great dives with, get HWMBO to go out with his club and normal buddy, THEN when we're both happy with the suits go off somewhere together? (Bearing in mind he did cause me to get the bends on our first dive out together!!!! :teeth: )

Answers on a postcard, please................ :angel:

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Well done sorting out your suit!

Personally, I would want to do easy dives to begin with. My first drysuit dives were in Wraysbury. There is a big difference in how the suit reacts in 2/3m with very little undersuit to 20m with appropriate underwear.

Obviously, your weighting will be different in open water to compensate for the additional underwear and (perhaps) if you go out and dive in the sea.

I think you would find it easier to do early dives at a familiar site with a buddy you can rely on to help you get out of any tricky situations.

There. My 2p :)

·
It doesn't look like that from where I'm sitting..
4,745 Posts
Jools,

stick with what you feel comfortable with... in this case your regular buddy... it won't take many dives before you'll be ready to take on a dive with your other half! (probably:teeth: )

Best of Luck

Pete

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
The mere fact that you're asking the question tells you the answer: if you're not sure about diving with HWMBO for the first couple of dives in the new suit, then you ought to go with the more experienced person.

Whatever you decide, have loads of fun and no damp bits in the new suit :)

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Jules well done on getting the suit, I think it sounds like you are looking for some reassurance so I would stick with your regular instructor buddy, it sounds like you are familiar with them and confident in their ability which will enable you to have a more relaxed and enjoyable dive.

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
Super.
Do familier dives if possible so you can play.
Remember a drysuit is easy deep so watch out for problems on the ascent and do a safety stop incase you pop-up a bit suddenly after that.

Drysuits take the temperature out of the question "Do you want to come diving this weekend?"

·
I'm quiet, shy and I blush a lot... honestly!
860 Posts
Personally I got HWMBO to do a dry suit course with an instructor (and DM and me, DMT, with him) then had him do about 10 dives in stoney+wraysbury just us and my trusted buddies before we hit swanage next weekend for his first uk sea diving.

End of the day it's whatever, where ever and with whoever you feel most comfortable :) Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yep, do a few shallowish dives with whoever you feel comfortable with, play around with the suit, inflation/deflation, air migration etc. It will take a few dives for you to sort your weighting out alone so chose a site that you can get in and out of easily as you may be back and forth fetching weights etc. The greatest bouyancy change in a suit occurs between 10m and the surface so keep to 10m max for the first few, get the feel of the suit but above all HAVE SOME FUN. Hope all goes well.

·
Madame Wheelie-Bin
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!

Taken on board all you said, and I agree, I think my mind was pretty much made up to go with my regular buddy rather than HWMBO.

I've only ever dived in a dry suit, so not "worried" about that, but I've arranged to have a shoulder dump rather than a cuff so need to practice with that first. If went with HWMBO who has about 100 dives in but only 6 with a dry suit, all of which weren't great, he would be mucking about too, so best we both go our own ways for the first few dives!

Wraysbury, Blondie?!?! Good God no! I like to be able to have some viz! I'll pop to Vobster and test it out down there, then off to Swanage for a nice drift after the bimble around the pier!

Thanks for all your recommendations! Once again, I bow my head to you all!

Have a good day, y'all!

XXX

:shade:

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Jools,

You've made the right choice going with an instructor - someone more experienced than yer bloke.. especially as you are getting used to a shoulder dump rather than the cuff dump..

They really are quite easy to get on with once you get the nack..

I run mine:
fully closed and a half turn back open during the dive
then (obviously) open it more during the ascent - to probably only half a turn closed.
You will get used to just rolling your left shoulder up slightly during the dive if you are slightly light - rather than upsetting your trim in the water.

take it steady..

:)

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Jules well done on getting the suit, I think it sounds like you are looking for some reassurance so I would stick with your regular instructor buddy, it sounds like you are familiar with them and confident in their ability which will enable you to have a more relaxed and enjoyable dive.
Fiona hit the nail on the head and I would echo her advice.
So, can we expect WARM squeals of delight on the lift then julie? ;)
mike.

·
Madame Wheelie-Bin
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fiona hit the nail on the head and I would echo her advice.
So, can we expect WARM squeals of delight on the lift then julie? ;)
mike.
Hi Mike!

You know me tooooooo well!!! I'm afraid two years down the line and I STILL grin like an idiot after a dive! The pleasure has never stopped! I've even got a bit of a reputation in my LDS for my comments when entering the shop! I just lurve the smell of neoprene! :angel:

And so starts another thread, if Finless has anything to do with it?!?!

It's nice that you remember me Mike! Much appreciated! Or was it "once seen NEVER forgotten"!?! I had a great dive that day with Jason. And I was pleased to make you smile after what had been for you a bad week!

I'm 40 on July 10th and planning on coming down there for the day so may see you around then!?!

·
Madame Wheelie-Bin
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Woo Hoo!

Well the day finally arrived! I popped into my LDS to discuss my AOW and amongst other things and totally unexpected my new dry suit had arrived.

Apart from slightly strangling me, it's wonderful! Doesn't it just make a difference having a MTM suit! My old one was a pretty good fit actually though the boots were about a size and a bit too big. However this new one is the dogs thingys! Perfect fit! Well measured Carl at the LDS!

Now the scary bit! Testing it at Vobster on Saturday. Yes will take the old one just in case! Need to practice with the shoulder dump, but I'm actually looking forward to the whole experience!

And as for all your advice, I'm going with my regular buddy who's an instructor.

So to all of you who are also going on Saturday, please try not to laugh too much at me flapping about a bit in my NEW SUIT! (Do you have any idea how good it feels to be able to say that?!?!?) I'll be the girl with the HUGE grin on my face ALL day long!!!

And for those who've guided me, particularly Fiona, with regard to this suit. I can truly say you pointed me in the right direction without making the decision for me. I owe a beer to you if we ever get to meet!

I feel like a kid at Christmas! :angel:

·
Open Wide
2,417 Posts
You'll love it, I dived my new suit a couple of weeks ago and it was a different world to have one that fitted. Dived sunday with it, and left it on for the entire day, now there's now way I could have done that wiht the previous one,

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Whoo Hoo.. I heard you had been in and collected it. Have fun with it at the weekend... maybe we will see you in in at Chepstow in August? :)

·
on last legs
890 Posts
Yes will take the old one just in case!
Why? Would you take an old jacket that didn't fit with you after you had bought a new one?
Forget the old one and just really enjoy the new one, the more time you spend diving in it, the faster you'll get used to it.
For the record, 20 years after I 1st strapped on an ABLJ and a set of jet fins, I still grin like a loonie every time I get near the water :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Congrats on the new suit. What colour is it? I'll look out for you on Sat.

Cheers, Richie.

·
Madame Wheelie-Bin
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why? Would you take an old jacket that didn't fit with you after you had bought a new one?
Forget the old one and just really enjoy the new one, the more time you spend diving in it, the faster you'll get used to it.
For the record, 20 years after I 1st strapped on an ABLJ and a set of jet fins, I still grin like a loonie every time I get near the water :D
I think it's because I haven't tested it so IF it leaked I'd not be able to dive! And I really gotta go under the water. I'm not going to even open the other one if the new one doesn't leak! Or am I being over cautious?

Um, this is a dumb question, I guess, but do they pressure test new suits or do they just make them up and ship 'em out???? Well, how would I know? I've never bought a new suit before and not really thought about it!!! :embarassed:

Oh I still grin like a loonie EVERY time I dive just from being under the water. Ask Mike, Resting Rifleman. He'll vouch for that!!!!!

Woo hoo, I've got a new suit :note: :teeth:

·
Madame Wheelie-Bin
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Congrats on the new suit. What colour is it? I'll look out for you on Sat.

Cheers, Richie.
It's a Typhoon (yeah, yeah, don't laugh!) membrane, mainly black, with purple shoulders. I'll be the one with the inane grin on my face! As always!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts