YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a Bristol Hamworthy 4S4 MBCE 6000 2.4cfm compressor (ex MOD). I'm trying to get a copy of the operating and servicing manual. Anyone able to send me an electronic copy or I'm happy to pay for a photocopy.

I've just purchased the compressor and don't want to run it without any instructions. I've also spoken to Central compressor consultants about getting new air filters for it. They said that this compressor was for pure air applications and that the air would be too dry for diving purposes. I may have this wrong but if I fit suitable diving air filters then the air shouldn't be too dry ?.

Any help or information would be much appriciated.

thanks J

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I remember that model used to fill the small accumulators for pure air on the Thomson J minicooler. You should have on the outlet a green quarter turn bayonet type filling outlet connector. You will have to loose that as well and change it for DIN

I don’t think I have a manual anymore as the pump must be 20 to 25 years old but I will look. (look on top of the black filter shell for the earliest date not the retest date)

They are very old now that model was discontinued ran too hot and too much oil carryover. I know the Mod scrapped them in favour or an oil less compressor !!! Hope you got it cheap.

Re the filter cartridges I can see why you were told too dry air for diving as the MoD required a dew point better than –70 or it buggered up the equipment. For diving –55 should be OK

Not sure on the cartridges. They may be bog standard Hamworthy PAS 6 filter shells but if you use the serial number on the cartridge it will alert them it’s a MoD unit and you will be either:
A. Be hosed on the price.
B. Be told its’ too dry for breathing purposes.

If it’s a bog standard filter cartridge fitting then a normal scuba equivalent cartridge would do.

I hope you didn’t buy this thinking it was suitable for scuba diving and I trust the seller described it accurately. You may find it cheaper just to change the filters shells (£188 each) they should be changed at 15 years old anyway and you can then use normal cartriges also re set or replace the BPR setting to 180 barg. See if it runs first I guess, fill and old cylinder and time it They came with a Briggs or Honda petrol engine some were electric you need to give more info or its a wild ass guess.
the block is the same as the small scuba unit so its do able. Iain Middlebrook

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Iain, Thanks for the info. I spoke to CCC and they said I can use normal diving cartridges. I just need to check the age of the filter housings as they may need testing or replacing.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi,

I have a Bristol Hamworthy 4S4 MBCE 6000 2.4cfm compressor (ex MOD). I'm trying to get a copy of the operating and servicing manual. Anyone able to send me an electronic copy or I'm happy to pay for a photocopy.

I've just purchased the compressor and don't want to run it without any instructions. I've also spoken to Central compressor consultants about getting new air filters for it. They said that this compressor was for pure air applications and that the air would be too dry for diving purposes. I may have this wrong but if I fit suitable diving air filters then the air shouldn't be too dry ?.

thanks J
PM on its way

Phil

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Have you tried Windy of this forum......a wiz with Hamworthy!

ps. I was watching that compressor on Ebay but thought 6000psi was a little more than I needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I've spoken to Windy who offered me some good information, also a couple of other very useful replys. Planning to trial run the compressor tonight. I'll let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

thanks J
Hi all,
Just bought a Hamworthy 4s4-60 compressor via SCUBA forum, hoping it was a good purchase. Having read a couple of these posts, may now be questioning it. However, I will need to try and source a manual if someone could help me out, and also provide advice on filters/oil/etc..

Thanks

Gibbo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,
Just bought a Hamworthy 4s4-60 compressor via SCUBA forum, hoping it was a good purchase. Having read a couple of these posts, may now be questioning it. However, I will need to try and source a manual if someone could help me out, and also provide advice on filters/oil/etc..

Thanks

Gibbo
Note- I now noticed these posts were from 2010!, hope some folk are still around who can advise

JMG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts