YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have recently bought a 4S7 powered by a Petter 6hp Diesel engine. Apart from a fuel line leak (Fuel feed hose perised and hard as nails) both compressor and engine are working fine :)

I opened the Air inlet filter housing to check the condition of the intake filter today - and found the filter to be full of oily gunge. I have spent the day cleaning the filter with degreasant, IPA and petrol and it is now free of gunge - but I would be happier if it was changed. Here lies my question:

The filter housing is 11cm in diameter, but the filter that I have removed from inside is only 7cm in diameter. I would expect the filter diameter to be a little smaller than the housing to allow intake air to circulate the circumference of the filter before passing through it - but 4cm difference seems a little excessive to me - is this correct or has the wrong filter been fitted?

I would also appreciate any comments from compressor experts as to other things I should check apart from the obvious oils, purity filters, drive belt tension etc. i.e. is it necessary to check the engine valve clearances for example? Any other gotchas?

Kind regards, Andy

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my ast club we used Gardner Denver to service our Hamworthy compressor. I guess this is for your own personal use?
It is primarily for personal use, but it is mobile (mounted on a ex-military Sankey trailer) with the intention to fill other club cylinders when we are further afield on dive trips (non profit).

Do you have any ball park / rough idea of servicing costs from Gardner Denver?

Kind regards, Andy

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Depending on where in the world you are Colin Bruce (Windy on this forum) lives near Gatwick and is a very knowledgeable independent compressor man. You may find his prices more competitive than Gardner Denver.

I would take all the valves out and taken them apart. The plate is spring loaded by a flat spring washer. These lose chips from the side that get down into the bores of your pistons and do all sorts of damage. So run a fingernail along the edge of each spring to make sure they are smooth. Any roughness, replace the spring.

Neil

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Iair intake filter on the compressor or on the engine?
you didnt say.
As others have said check the valve springs and also if it is the same as the bigger Bristol hamworthys, change the compressor oil. (always fill the oil to the very top of the oil filler)

If in doubt contact one of the YD compressor gurus!

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Do you have any ball park / rough idea of servicing costs from Gardner Denver?
I think our wasn't serviced for nearly 5 years and cost £500. This was a major service though including a new Filter stack and rings on one of the pistons - it being a petrol driven compressor. I think the quote for an annual service (where we delivered it to them near Hereford) was about £100. I do recall their call out charge was costly. But then this was for a club, and we had Lottery unding for new dive equipment so we didn't wnat any come back from dirty fills. Sorry I can't be of more help, I left the club a couple of years ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts