YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am looking at undergoing my very own tailormade holday next year around Britain.

Ambition: To explore photograph and explore Britain's best diving desitinations.

The idea: To visit Britain's best dive sites, inland and coastal.

How: Motorhome rental

Duration: 1 week or 2 depending on costs

Destination: John'o Groats down to Land's End and accross to N.Ireland.

What I need: HELP!!

I'd like to know what are people's best dive sites in Britain, if you can give me your top 10 no matter where they are.

I'm boat handler trained so if it requires a boat trip (nothing to far) then let me know.

Thank you,

Steve

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
My two favourite dives this year have been the U12 (47m) with Marinequest off Eyemouth in September and the Hispania, Sound of Mull, in March with Lochaline Dive Charters. St Abbs can be stunning in the summer and playing with the seals at The Farnes is just magic.

·
probably just mental
2,399 Posts
Chesil Cove...shallow suitable for all levels of diving and can be spectacular.
Plenty of other special dives around here...but Chesil is definitely my fav.
Let us know if you are coming down this way next summer and I'm sure Captain Calamity and I can be persuded to dive it with you.
PS are you travelling with a boat or looking to pick up charters wherever you go?

·
All we wanted was a home... Manics
4,553 Posts
Here's a few I've [email protected]:

boat dives
- scapa flow - tabarka, doyle, koln wrecks ; mull - hispania, rondo & tapti wrecks, wall dive slignish mohr+++ (said sliggish maw) Lochaline pier; Torquay - Bretagne wreck; Lyme Regis - Moidart, Bayguitano wrecks ;

Shore dives
Porth Kerris beach
Brixham breakwater
Brixham (towards Bury head - Shoalstone beach from swimming pool area)
Chesil beach (watch out for the tides / currents/swell entry exit can be tricky!!)

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
The trouble is that my top ten or so dives were dependant on conditions, salsette on a day when we had blue sky, sunshine flat water and 20m vis is hard to beat. You might do it on a wet windy day with 2m vis and wonder wy I rated it so highly

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
No I'd just think you're a doddery old twat away with the fairies :D
The world is back on it's axis thank god for that, It's ages since an old northern bird has insulted me on here, she's normally too busy making up recipes or running over old slag heaps :D

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
If you're coming past Plymouth, try and do Hand Deeps and JEL (can be combined in one day easily) and Firestone Bay from a shore dive.

There are loads more, but you'll probably be moving about a fair bit?

Can't comment on anywhere else, as I'd just be going by pictures! Land's End is supposed to be great, as is Porthkerris.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Farnes for the seals
James Eagan Layne, Hispania would be my chosen wrecks, though it would be rude not to do the other SoM wrecks while you're doing the Hispania - and maybe the Port Napier just over the Skye bridge
Falls of Lora is a cracking drift dive

·
Owner of the Frankinspo
947 Posts
St Abbs is fantastic, the shore dives are great, and at £20 (or was it £25) for 2 boat dives, you can't beat it.

Also Hands Deep and the Murree are another two fantastic dives.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Everyone.

Please please keep these coming. The more sites the better.
With regards to boats may look at linking up with local skippers with other trips or just taking a mate and hiring a RIB.

But please keep the top ten coming.

Thanks.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I in advance apologise to anyone this may offend but it's how I feel

I did not do my research correctly everyone do what you normally do at nor my post sorry for who have read what I said it was incorrect and wrong of me

·
Making God laugh...
3,112 Posts

I did not do my research correctly everyone do what you normally do at nor my post sorry for who have read what I said it was incorrect and wrong of me
How dare you apologise before someone has demanded it...

·
Registered
526 Posts
I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong I was wrong and luckily enough I deleted it quick enough that I think no one as scenic is just purely politeness through my own stupidity sorry
How dare you apologise before someone has demanded it...
It is Friday

·
Registered
143 Posts

Did I nod off??? Have I missed something?? Its happening to me a lot these days.

·
Just another pikey diver...
1,993 Posts
We have to lob in Sussex Mulberries on a good day plus Swanage Pier (poss Selsey Pier) - they're all easy, scenic stop-offs on your tour - you've already got Chesil Cove...

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
This is a tough one to answer as what works for one won't work for another! Plus.....I've not dived all the UK sites so I'm still building my top ten :D

Scapa Flow - it would be a fight between Brummer and Dresden
Plymouth/ Looe - James Eagan Layne
Weymouth/Swanage - Aeolian Skye
Weymouth/West Bay - St. Dunstan
Weymouth - M2
Swanage - Kyarra
Nayland - The Lucy

Those are the wrecks.

The scenic sites being a metal head I don't travel to see scenery....just wrecks :embarassed: so....only local sites here then

Stennis Ledges
Pulpitt Rock
Chesil Beach
Grove Point

If you are BSAC then let me know....as we may have spaces on the Rhib if/when you're in the locality

1 - 20 of 41 Posts