YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Very Senior Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Good aint it  

Mind you that big swell they are all concerned about looked like a normal day in the English Channel  

Havent seen any speedos yet

Regards

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Tis a fine programme indeed. So good in fact that I'm recording it on Nat +1 as the phone rang about half way through

·
currently offshore, please leave a message
1,106 Posts
Imported post

very enjoyable

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I was thinking when they said it was "a bit rough" it would be wreck detectives rough (like i make bigger ripples in the bath when i fart rough) but that was lumping it!  Jeez.  Brave guys.

·
Very Senior Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ Feb. 15 2004,21:22)]I was thinking when they said it was "a bit rough" it would be wreck detectives rough (like i make bigger ripples in the bath when i fart rough) but that was lumping it!  Jeez.  Brave guys.
wimp.....

dont let the new employers hear you say that. most of their craft operate in real seas......

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
Imported post

Wow, that was great.  Thanks to all concerned for the tips that this was going to be on...extended my cable package so that I could get to see this - well worth it too!

H

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Well

I felt a bit sorry for them, what with that crap viz

Just like what we get off Dover

Very good stuff.

Paul

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I noticed they were kind enough to mention that JC got there before them but then they forgot the Kevin Gurrs expadition in 1997 and claimed to be the first to penitrate the wreckage.

Liar Liar pants on fire, or should I say Speedo's

No wonder they got a slagging when this was aired in the USA

Ho hum it was great footage of the wreck.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>ERMMMMMMMMM did i miss something ,,,,,,,, WHAT BIG SWELLS ?

Only thing about the diving that really surprised me was " them scooters don't stir up the muck and wreck the viz ".

Hope you lot, like watching what us divers in Dover enjoy every weekend when we go out diving ,

Intact ships
Nice weather
Flat seas
portholes
20+ mt viz

·
Registered
335 Posts
Imported post

I suppose it wets the appetite for when the most recent expedition airs - this was 1999 after all. One thing, the CGI was good - it just goes to show how much we take this for granted now and illustrates that producers have to work even harder to get the "Wow" factor into there shows (Jim Cameron's "Bismark" or "Ghosts of the Abyss" anyone". Exit Wreck Detectives stage left.

Mind you in their defence, the production team at RDF Media haven't been given a broadcast date by CH4 - who won't commit to another series until they've seen the viewing figures of the next series!! Its now Feb and they should be planning the next series - but like everything they'll probably only get the green-light at the last minute and then be scrabbling around for wreck stories that fit their narrow series parameters.

We'd be better with a couple of great one-off's each year - now there's an idea!

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Ya know, to be honest I was a bit dissapointed, great dives, but not enough of the wreck for me. All it really did was to make me want to go and take a look for myself. I really WANT a scooter though.

Andrew

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Feb. 15 2004,23:06)]I noticed they were kind enough to mention that JC got there before them but then they forgot the Kevin Gurrs expadition in 1997 and claimed to be the first to penitrate the wreckage.
<font color='#0000FF'>Have to say I thought it was going to be the Kevin Gurr one.  So was initially a bit dissapointed, but enjoyed it anyway.

FB

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (andyp @ Feb. 16 2004,00:22)]Ya know, to be honest I was a bit dissapointed, great dives, but not enough of the wreck for me. All it really did was to make me want to go and take a look for myself. I really WANT a scooter though.

Andrew
Totally agree with you - history of the Britannic is fine but not when it interferes with the diving.

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi

I thought it was very good. Obviously not enough dive talk or footage but I guess they have to cater for everyone.

Andy

PS Currently working very hard to get me one of those scooters.

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Yea scooter good, liked the AquaZepp until I tried to pick one up. The Gavin is a really nice unit. Hmmm, housing / strobe for the D100, conservatory (to keep partner happy / quiet), then a scooter.

All I need now is to make some bloody money.

Andrew

·
Registered
335 Posts
Imported post

For those thinking (dreaming) about getting a scooter, but not liking the idea of stumping up £2,500+ have you tried an Apollo AV1.

I'm on my third (or fourth?) season with them and for 90% of the diving we do (40-70m) it is ideal. I know they may not be as big and sexy as a Gavin or Zep's but apparently you can get an o-ring that uprates them to 90m (there rated at 60-ish). They certainly pull a diver, back & sidemounts along at a rapid rate on full speed (never use it on this) for a burn time of about 40-50min if thats what you want. We tend to use them on their mid setting that gives about 70-80 min.

However I do know a British company is developing something like the Gavin but it should retail around £1,000. They've been testing the prototype in Dorothea with excellent results.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Imported post

I'll vouch for the Apollo AV1 - if it can pull Ron, his back gas and side mounts along it must be powerful!!  

1 - 19 of 19 Posts