·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, I'm in the market for a new suit and have narrowed the field to either:

Otter Britannic
Pros- bulletproof
Cons- more than my budget will really allow
Q - I have heard of bargain suits, unclaimed orders etc being available from Divers Warehouse, does anyone know how often this happens? Is it possible to find out what they have and how much or is it down to onsite haggling?

Oceanic Aerdura Black front loader
Pros - it fits budget (just)
- I could probably get an off the rack fit (I'm a fairly standard size)
Cons - heard a few leaky leg stories
Q - Would you consider this a budget Britannic?

Seaskin Nova
Pros - (different to the other 2 but I'm taken by the good reports)
- It comes in on budget
- MTM
Cons - I might be pushing my luck getting it made in time for my visit (current 7/8 week wait)
Q - what would you consider essential additions (currently thinking 2 x pockets, neo lined boots, zip cover - anything else?)

The suit I'm leaving is an Oceanic flex - i've been happy with it, but it's now due a new zip and seals which will cost a bit and I could put the money towards something shiney.

I didn't really want to exceed GBP500 ex VAT (i'm visiting UK in a few weeks and can claim VAT back when I leave.)

TIA Paul

·
Liberal Lefty
1,694 Posts
I have an Aerdura and not had leaky legs. It's been pretty bulletproof for me surviving lots of scrapes on wrecks and quite a bit of oil. I would prefer a front loading one though (so I don't have to keep asking people to let me in and out)

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Nova

Don't bother with the zip cover.
Think about the neoprene neck warmer

7/8 week wait? I think that says it all about the demand for these suits.

Ian
Sometime Oceanic Flex 2000 user and Nova user

·
rEvolutionary HPDW'ing
1,150 Posts
PM sent re; Otter Britannic

Andy

·
I came, I saw, I dived
552 Posts
I have a Britannic front loader and the Oceanic Suit as supplied to the MOD (it's basically an all black, rear loading version of the Aerdura)

Not impressed by the Oceanic suit at all, the legs leak around the knees (too many folds in the design - so very difficult to seal the seams properly)

The Britannic on the other hard is an excellent suit, the seams are double stitched, double taped and glued and rolled by hand, rather than being heat sealed. I know of only one other drysuit manufacturer in the UK that goes to this effort. (I have not researched this fully though)

I know nothing about the seaskin,(looking at the website the seam method looks similar) although they are highly regarded by people on this forum.

With regards to options, always go for a neoprene neck seal

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
I have a Britannic, and as you say it is though as nails, it is also dry, but it is also restrictive. If you want tough and hard wearing you need to be able to live with a bit of inflexability.

·
Registered
131 Posts
go for a seaskin

only done 4 dives in my new seaskin suit which arrived on time last week. I cant really compare it to the other 2 suits as I have not dived in either, but it is a very well put together item, triple stitched and glued seams, back extension to help flexibility MTM, shut downs no problem. Front entry available and all the extras at very sensible prices ie neo neck £6 extra!
They are even made in Yorkshire.

I guess you get the picture, I like my new suit.

(judgement could be clouded by the last 4 dives being my only completely dry dives this year)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts