YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

While unintentionally demonstrating how not to kit-up in Cyprus a couple of weeks ago, I broke one of the two shoulder buckles on my just over a year old Aqualung Pro QD BCD.

So back to the dive shop it went to be returned to Aqualung to get fixed.

It now turns out that Aqualung have said they cannot fix it.

My initial reaction to the suggestion of having to junk �300-worth of kit for a broken piece of plastic included some choise rude words and oaths of never buying anything from Aqualung again etc etc.

Am I truly stuck with a written-off BCD? Are other manufacturers or models of BCD any better?

All advice gratefully received :)

·
All we wanted was a home... Manics
4,553 Posts
post a picture. someone will give you a solution

·
The worlds slowest sailor.
2,970 Posts
is that the same one that ding has for sale?

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Not fit for purpose. Send a letter to your LDS advising them of this, you are entitled to a refund or replacement. You can choose for them to repair/make good if you'd rather.

A year is not a reasonable lifetime for a BCD unless it has suffered significant abuse, which should be entirely evident. Nobody in the Scuba industry would suggest that you need to replace a BCD every year, as a result it has prematurely failed.

Digs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. Thought I would give you an update in case it's of help to anyone in the future in the same situation.

I took the soft way out and didn't argue the toss with my LDS as I felt partially responsible in the way I was kitting up with too much weight hanging off a single strap. In retrospect perhaps this wasn't the right decision as I now know of another member of my dive club who had the same problem and managed to get a replacement BCD out of his LDS. A point that I think helped him win the argument was saying that if there's a limited lifetime warranty on the product then the buckles ought to be replaceable as part of the yearly service rather than sewn in.

And it does seem to be a common problem with the Aqualung buckles - exactly the same issue as the pictures in this thread on a different forum.

What I did instead was I bought some 50mm marine webbing and two pairs of buckles online from
Handy Straps then took it to a shoe repairers who explicitly said on their website that they do strap making and repairs. They seem to have done a good job and I'll be testing it out at Wraysbury this week. If I make an uncontrolled ascent after separating from my kit I'll let you know :embarasse.

Would I buy another BCD from Aqualung? No. As well as shrugging their shoulders, and saying they couldn't/wouldn't fix it, they didn't have the decency to offer to supply me with a replacement swivel buckle to get fixed myself.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Was it actually sent back to Auqalung or did the shop just tell you this.
I only ask as when a peice of stitching come loose on my Waterproof Aries, I took it back to the shop in Colchester (Shark Scuba) and they promptly sent it away to aterproof for repair. Three weeks later I collected it and found the repair was, basically, crap.
I went online and contacted Waterproof and after a few emails to a few high up people it seems my suit had never been sent for repair.
They then offered to collect it and it was all done in about 2 weeks.Nice repair like new.
Don't always blame the manufacturer, sometimes it is just the LDS that is full of brown stuff.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had a similar experience recently - after two quarry dives, the clip on my Balance broke in a very similar way just before its first boat dive. Luckily we had spare kit on the boat, so I didn't have to sit it out, but I was rather miffed. By the time I'd loaded up a weight belt and set up the spare BCD I'd calmed down though :)

Turns out my excellent LDS man had the same problem on his own BCD a few months ago. I'm sure that helped when he called Aqualung and arranged for my BCD to be replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Oh my God, a buckle broke! Our DIR argument for a one piece harness finally has evidence!!!

Shame, I mean good thing, it did not happen underwater. :D

Sorry I can not help with your question, but the DIR lot (me included) do need to cool their heels regarding no breaks in the harness ;)

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm slightly surprised by your experience. Last year a part of my Aqualung BCD broke so I emailed them asking if I could buy a replacement part. They emailed back to say that they couldn't get the part but that even though the BCD was over a year old and had done over 100 dives, they would replace the whole thing free of charge. I was dealing with a lady at Apeks and she was really helpful. I'll dig out her details and PM you - maybe you can get in touch with her and see if she can help?

Sarah

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Oh my God, a buckle broke! Our DIR argument for a one piece harness finally has evidence!!!

Shame, I mean good thing, it did not happen underwater. :D

Sorry I can not help with your question, but the DIR lot (me included) do need to cool their heels regarding no breaks in the harness ;)
You should instead concentrate on making your kit non-magnetic so you don't set stuff off, eh?

·
Getting Grumpy, Old and Twisted
3,115 Posts
These plastic buckles should be manufactured from impact resistant polymers and have a service life way beyond that of the jacket.
The problem is that the cheaper sources of manufacture don't always produce to spec and often introduce re ground material into their moulding production. This results in a much weaker finished part, as the OP and many others have found.
Sounds like a QA issue to me.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
How can a one piece harness "snap"?
Cheap webbing :D

Or more likely they are talking about the waist band clip, unless of course that is now outlawed under gooey regs and you all either tie it in a bow, or there is a new bit on the funny's course on how to wriggle into a "true" OPH :confused:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts