YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
That's it, go on, spoil a good swipe at DIR (and Mal) by introducing witness statements and fact's.........Mumble mumble :(
he he he.........

We could just take the bit of webbing that broke off and whip him with it anyway.........:D
Perhaps HP could advise on technique?:D:D

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Just to confirm Alistair's post on how to rip a Halcyon OPH in two. The failure was at the the lower left hand diagonal slot in the backplate where the backplate cut a neat diagonal slice across the webbing. The situation was that the diver (me) was balanced on the gunwale of the dive boat Elena-C and about to make a backward entry when my KT reel caught on the gunwale lip as I launched myself into the ogin. The KT was attached to the left hand hip D ring and remained on the deck with the D ring as the harness parted at the backplate. I estimate that the total weight of diver and equipment was around 135-140 Kg and the distance from the gunwale to he water around 1.5 to 2 metres so a considerable shock load on the webbing. Needless to say despite the damage to my gear I was glad that I didn't end up strung up like a chicken on the side of the boat. And the KT, well it just shrugged its shoulders and stared back at me completely undamaged:)
Chris
I can sympathise with your plight. I did this once by hooking an octopus reg under the edge of the boat as I rolled in - it completely removed the hose from the first stage, and made an almighty sodding bang. Managed to get back on board, swap the regs over, and carried on the dive with rather less gas than I started with. It's easily done.

Nevertheless we have established that a one piece harness is not unbreakable in normal diving use. A lot like a clip or any other failure point - it can break, but has to be subjected to the right circumstances to make it so.

Digs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The replacement part is about 6 quid and the repair takes three minutes no stitching dead simple the part number for the axium is
AP7027K this is the push clip not the pinch clip initially they said they never snap however the female side snaps very easily great repair and worth keeping a spare in your box fixed mine on the side of stoney no problem

41 - 43 of 43 Posts