YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped my PC over the christmas break. Everything is fine other than the WD Passport USB hard drive I use for backup. I now can't get it to work and it has a couple of Gb of stuff I don't have anywhere else so I could do to try and recover it.
I have removed it from its case and plugged it into a USB hard disk enclosure. It seems to power up. Makes a buzzing noise for a couple of minutes then dies. Neither my PC or my Mac recognise it. I occasionally get a message from my PC to say something like "the USB device will work faster connected to a USB2". But nothing appears when I try to connect to it.
I guess I can take it to a PC shop to get recoverd but the data isn't worth the £100 I think it will cost.
Any ideas?

·
Still here....
68 Posts
Sounds like it's pretty fubar TBH... people like vogon will be able to recover the data directly from the disk platters where the heads didn't make contact (and in a lot of cases where they did). I've used them before to recover accounts data that was lost but it was over a grand!!!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like it's pretty fubar TBH... people like vogon will be able to recover the data directly from the disk platters where the heads didn't make contact (and in a lot of cases where they did). I've used them before to recover accounts data that was lost but it was over a grand!!!
I hink you may be right. I'm going to drop it off at a PC repair shop who are going to take a look for free.

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Thanks. I wasn't aware hard drives came with that option. Unfortunately this one doesn't.
If your right it will be the first hard drive i ever heard about that is like that.

Do you know what you are looking for in order to change the settings? as its not a switch as suck, just a pin thaat you move, from one position to an other.

good luck anyway.

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
If your right it will be the first hard drive i ever heard about that is like that.

Do you know what you are looking for in order to change the settings? as its not a switch as suck, just a pin thaat you move, from one position to an other.

good luck anyway.
I'm not sure SATA disks have drive jumpers on them any more except to drop bus speeds and for Factory use. I'm pretty sure you don't need to select master or slave on modern SATA drives, and USB connected disks are SATA in the main.

PATA disks (IDE) then you did, but SATA don't - see here.

·
Still here....
68 Posts
Correct, SATA is one drive per channel so there is no concept of master and slave as there was on the older PATA tech... They may be referred to in the BIOS as M/S etc. but if one recalls this is just for backwards compatibility with IDE

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
I am living and learning :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Seen quite a few of these and IMO drive sounds dead, any ticking/buzzing noises indicates physical damage so no software will repair that. Testing in another drive caddy rules out damage to the controller.
If you really need the data then you are looking at £100+ for recovery. Google search

Never used this kind of service, maybe look for one that is local to you: Example

Mike

·
Life is a journey not a destination ...
156 Posts
Unfortunately,you are realistically looking at more like £200 + VAT and postage to recover your data.

I have just sent a disc off for a customer which is making similar sounds.

PM me if you want details of the company we have used.

Gary

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you want to try a free option you could try freezing it (search on google if you don't believe me), but this really is a last resort. I have used this method a few times and had a pretty good success rate & managed to get most of the files off it. If you are lucky you might get 3 or 4 attempts at it before it dies completely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts