YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem: As I'm racking up my number of dives, I'm finding it harder and harder to stay warm.

I learned to dive on the GBR in 2011 and was happy in a 2.5mm shortie.
Dived northern Red Sea in October 2012 in a 3mm full suit - temps of about 26-27deg.
Dived southern Red Sea in March 2013 and was fine in a 5mm full with 2.5mm vest.
Maldives in June last year - 28deg - required 3mm full suit and 2.5mm vest to be comfortable.
Just got back from Cozumel - 26deg - having needed my 3mm full suit, with another 3mm full rental suit over the top, plus 2.5mm vest and rash vest in order not to be chilled.

Heading to the Red Sea in December and am wondering whether multiple layers are better than a single thick one? Wondering if I need a 7mm with my 2.5mm vest underneath, or whether my 5mm with my 3mm full suit underneath would be better?

Keen to hear from anyone else who gets cold!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Getting a good fitting single piece could be suitable, look at some of the suits that have a drysuit style zip across the shoulders as these appear to be warmer.
I have used these before and found them pretty good.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I don't feel the cold that badly but here's a couple of things that I've tried and/or might be of interest/worth a thought:

Have you tried wearing a hood/beanie? I was pretty chilly on my last trip until I started wearing my 2mm neoprene beanie (IST make them, amongst others). The difference it makes is surprising! A full hood would be even greater. Fourth Element's Thermocline material is great for travel and is about as warm as 2-3mm of neoprene but a full 5mm hood doesn't weigh much.

Do the suits all fit you properly? An ill-fitting suit is not much use really.

Worst case, the last time I dived the Red Sea (April last year) I wore my membrane drysuit with light thermals underneath!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My suits fit well but you may be onto something with the hood - even on dry land if my neck is warm I feel warmer generally. Kind of obvious now you point it out... :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts