YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Well guys and gals, i have to say that i havent laughed so much in a long time.  You are all as mad as a bucket of frogs!  I hope you all got what you wanted from the show at the prices you wanted, and all got home safe!

I will be keeping my eyes peeled for pics of me in the horny hood in the diving press!

porg

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi

I had a good time, managed to put some faces to names

Digger, Porg, Nitrox, Dcrampt, SteveL, FionaB, Dalesdiver and Mary. Very civilised and I didn't get into a fight once.

Spent far too much time at the DiveGirl stand but it was funny watching the slightly inebriated Bren (now I know why Bren offered me a lift. I get to drive back!!) and Nitrox try different chat up lines which were getting more lude and ludicrous by the pint?!

Ended up buying a 7ft long hose for my singles rig, some spare webbing, and a yellow smb. (Not to mention the pink snorkel, Yellow Force fins and a new nitrox computer with which I got a 30 piece selection of brightly coloured plasticy clips. Not.
)

But nice to have met you all.

Andy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Imported post

Hi all

Went to the show on Sat, spent what seemed like ages in queues of traffic all heading in the same direction.  

Didn't manage to meet up with any YDers, (did the pic scare you off?), so maybe next time.

Picked up some chillcheater stuff, and a few clips and things. My girlfriend was very keen to collect as many stickers as possible and enter all the competitions, (and get a few things for my Christmas stocking  
).  

Looked like a busy show and it was nice to see that they extended out into one of the other halls.

One point though...

Maybe I ought to start this up as another thread but... we were looking for a ladies fit BCD, and apart from Aqualung the other manufacturers we tried seem to be missing the plot abit.

?

Rob

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>People never look like you image they do, though do they

Very nice day out all in all great to meet some of you guys and come home with shiny new kit

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

Well, I must say most of you lot are a lot prettier on the internet. But a good laugh, I'll give you that. Not the greatest show, but lots of fun with the boys and girls, and ideal opportunity to put names to faces.

When me shoulder's sorted, I'm definitely going to have to do some diving with some more of you lot. I'm starting to wonder if it's ever going to sort itself out, and whether I'll ever reach my valves again...

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ Nov. 16 2003,22:18)]You are all as mad as a bucket of frogs!  
<font color='#000F22'>Just as well really, means you can fit in without any trouble at all  

·
Registered
72 Posts
Imported post

Well although I had the intention of trying to meet up with you guys on the Saturday that idea quickly went out the window due to the wonders of our rail service...

The Plan:
Get up 6:30. Leave house 7:15. Get on train in St Albans 7:52. Get to Brum Int'l 9:39. Get in while it's quiet and have a look around whilst trying to persuade my mate to buy a drysuit so he's forced to take up UK diving (he was only looking for some basic gear + comp to use on holiday). Meet up with peeps at midday for a drink or two - which was the main reason for using the train in the first place. Leave reasonably early in order to avoid packed trains on the way home.

The execution:
Got up 6:30. Left house about 7:25 due to basically me faffing around and not getting my arse in gear.

In order to get to the station we wanted we walk past the main station in St Albans. At this point I check my watch and decide there's no way we're going to get there in time so decide to switch at the last minute which should add about 20 minutes to the journey and require a train switch in the middle but would be quicker than waiting for the next train at the other station. So in we go, buy tickets, get on train to Luton.

Get to Luton trying to get to Leicester. Ask someone which platform and he says the next train is cancelled and we'd be better off going to Bedford then from Bedford to Leicester. OK, no problem. Hang on, Bedford's back on the same line as we've just got off of - next train: 30 minute wait!

Eventually get to Bedford; OK, when's the train to Leicester. Ooh, only 20 minute wait this time ;) Get on train, next stop Leicester... or is it? I think they added about 4 extra stops in all, seemingly on the spur of the moment, so we get in about 20 minutes later than planned.

Leicester to Birmingham New Street - no problems!

New Street to International, next train 15 minutes. Decided not to risk finding our own way there and getting lost as it would probably be only a 15 minute journey at most. Train turns up, we got on. 5 minutes after departure time we're still there, told we're delayed due to signal failure. Well that's happened to me plenty of times, not normally more than a couple of minutes delay, no big deal (although remember that for later in the story, delayed due to signal failure, OK?). After a further 30 minutes we finally start moving. Fantastically though this was kind of made OK due to the sight of someone 'just' missing a train that had been sitting at the platform for 35 minutes

About 5 minutes in we suddenly come to a complete stop in the middle of nowhere and see someone from the train running past the window. After a couple of minutes it's announced we hit something and they're checking to see what it was. By this time we're thinking the whole journey's been a bit ridiculous so expected them to discover we almost hit a leaf, but luckily it blew out of the way just in time so it should make a full recovery...

When the announced we'd actually hit a dog that set us, and to be fair everyone else in the carriage, off laughing until we'd had a chance to realise what they'd actually said and decided that was actually pretty bad. This was reinforced a short while after when we saw a very upset looking guy walking back to the front of the train...

Still sitting there but thinking fair enough, the guy we saw looked pretty shook up and it's not something I'd like to see. 10 minutes pass and another announcement comes on. Turns out that hitting the dog had somehow forced the train's emergency brakes on and they were having trouble disengaging them. Now, I'm sorry if you're a real dog fan or whatever but in the circumstances that was just about the funniest and last thing anyone expected to hear - was certainly a couple of minutes before the laughter died down. As we're still sitting there this was followed by coming up with headlines for the story, "Train delayed due to dog applying brakes", etc.

Once that had become boring we returned to waiting for the train to restart, talking rubbish, realising we were now actually on a train heading back south so should we just call the whole thing off and go home, etc. That was until I happened to overhear the conversation of the two women in the seats across from us. One asked the other, "I wonder what they tell other people back at the station? Do you think they tell them we've hit a dog?". To which I interrupted with, "No, I'd expect they come up with a slightly less unpleasant reason. Like signal failure." I think it must have been less than two seconds before her expression changed from one of slight puzzlement, whilst she thought this through, to one of the most horrified I've ever seen. If I hadn't already been wearing my coat I think I'd have had to put it on and move seats. Luckily my mate burst out laughing so I'm pretty sure they realised I was just joking...

Shortly after this the train set off and we finally completed the journey to Birmingham International. After 5 hours!  

We then made our way into the show to meet up with another mate who'd driven up instead. By the time we'd had a quick look around to see what was about it was nearly 1 and as the other two guys aren't on YD we didn't bother trying to find anyone else. My mate got a reasonable deal on some X3's for £30 but I failed to convince him to get a drysuit

By the time we'd looked at the history of diving and the photo competition entries we decided to head home just on the off chance of similar train journey fun. Back at the station we found out we could use our return tickets to go the easy route back to Watford then skip across to St Albans, i.e. the route we should have taken to get up there in the morning. Somehow that still managed to take about 4 hours instead of the expected 2! Luckily for me I slept through most of it so I've no idea what hazards we had to overcome to make it back at all ;)

So in summary; the show was pretty good although as I wasn't really looking at buying any kit it got a bit samey and I was really only bothered about the non-shop/holiday parts of the show. As for the trains, I think I've written enough now...

Same again next year then  

Paul

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Paul
you would have done even worse on the Motorway. I went over to Dunstable on the bike and Northbound was absolutely stationery all the way from Luton North (maybe more) back to Harpenden and beyond and that was at 10 in the morning.

Transport dont you just love it?
Matt

·
Registered
563 Posts
Imported post

Full marks to Bren for organising the tie up.

I was impressed how he sacrificed his tour of the show to greet every Yd`er  (in the bar).

Look forward to seeing you all, hopefully before St.Abbs gig next October

Anyone up for a midwinter quarry tour of the NDC and Vobster................what better way to spend a weekend !

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wetlettuce @ Nov. 17 2003,10:36)]I had a good time, managed to put some faces to names

Digger, Porg, Nitrox, Dcrampt, SteveL, FionaB, Dalesdiver and Mary. Very civilised and I didn't get into a fight once.
Aye,

Was a pleasure to put faces to names at long last (after 'RB'ing' Saturday's mob  
); PORG is an-event-in-a-box, unflappable and a ruck of laughs - as is Mary, all japes and jokery, nothing could get this pair down if it tried.

Hope the arm gets better soon Diggs mate; good to finally meet Steve Lovell (SteveL) after all the emails about a 'YD Tour of Southern Muddy Pits' LoL! Nice to see Dave C all the way down from Edinberger and brand-new YD'er,  Steve 'Butch'. Got to meet Stu (PressurE) too for a quick hello. Even got to hook-up with Fiona B and her oppo at last orders....err....sorry, closing time. Nitrox, hope you made it safe back down to London Village mate.

Wee Daz and the lovely Sam (his better half) and the cohorts of the 'Bristol Massif' - always a pleasure meeting you crowd.

I think I went to about three stands: TDI (to see La Hayhurst and Simon and to buy a T-shirt - caught [Diver's Whorehouse] Brett there too); Fourth Element (to purchase an 'Arctic' suit) and the Dive Girl stand to share sherried merriment with Louise T, Wetlettuce, Nitrox, PORG et al.

Suitably merry, we wended our merry way home - hic!

Until next year folks........

Keep in good spirits, failing that, any single-malt will do  

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Imported post

Is anyone planning to go to the London show?  I am going to be on the stand with Louise helping in an official capacity there, and hopefully for the next brummie show too.  I have got a stinking cold, and so anyone who had a go on the Draeger rebreather after 12.30 yesterday will have got a lungfull of my germs free of charge! hehe

Bren - you are a mad bugger, never have i been fed a hot dog bun in such an imaginative way.....

Oh yeah, keep an eye out for me photo in the diving press with the silly horny hood on (it was worn in the try dive pool hehe).

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Nov. 17 2003,17:42)]nothing could get this pair down if it tried.
<font color='#000F22'>I'm sure the right bloke could tie us down with very little effort  

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wetlettuce @ Nov. 17 2003,10:36)]"and Nitrox try different chat up lines which were getting more lude and ludicrous by the pint?!"
ha ha ha , you must have the wrong bloke mate.

if i recall correctly....who was it who had the lovely louise bending over and bareing her arse at him, all within about three word's?

and dont lie, cos i have wittness's

as i'm sure you have now gathered andy, i'm not the sort of bloke that take's prisoner's or suck's ass.

however should i ever be tempted towards the latter....it will most definatley be louise's chocolate starfish at the front of the que.  

digger, dont invert!!...f!"k the rig off and get a unit!!....simple!.

Bren, sure did mate the trip back was actually pretty swift compared to the usual sunday evening drag. ....but i had just been out with my new play thing on the way back!!!  

Mary and Porg... a madder pair of badger's i have never had the pleasure to meet!!....your welcome in my set anytime.

hey Bren!!   seen any spotty young scroats in SAS regalia shit themselve's lately?    

didnt buy anything as there's nowt that i want...

the southwest trip beckon's.....

nice to meet you all

regard's

troxmiester

·
3 boats down from the candy
230 Posts
Imported post

hey guys and gals sorry i couldn't meet any of you at the show on sunday but it was a last minute decision to go . for me the best thing about the show is the speakers in the side halls , managed to see innis mccartney , jack ingle ( good laugh )  amos nachoum  ( mad ) and tanya streeter ( commence heavy breathing blurry look and drooling ) so all in all a good show

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

Well I'm just back at home. Long drive home via Leeds over night at the folks, and then to Edinburger ? via Denny to buy a 15L Faber for my fiancee. I know, I know I should have got in early at the show but by the time we'd decided to buy one they'd all gone!
 Anyway very nice to see you all, Bren, Daz, Wetlettice, Mary. I'm full of cold now, which I fugure I cought on a trysive I organised on Friday for a few collegues, so I'm away to my bed with a hot lemonade.

Dave (how can I change my post name) C

·
Registered
381 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I made it to Brum too on Sunday.

Sadly, I did not know about this site until after I got back and someone told me about it. I guess I must have walked past some of you, but didn't know who you were. I was wearing a pretty distinctive rugby shirt (blue with three amber bands on it), as a few of my friends were there and looking out for me.

Not too flushed with cash at the moment, but did manage to buy an assortment of hangers for the various bits of kit I own. I've recently had my bathroom done up and part of the plan was to make it a little more 'diver friendly', so got some Ikea soap dished. Pop the plastic tray out and you've got a great handrail for attatching to the wall for drying kit on. Anyway, the purpose of the Birmingham 'bunfight' was to get some proper hangers for all my various bits of kit.

It seemed a good idea to get it split over two halls this time, as previous shows have been crammed in to one room and no room what so ever.

Hopefully, will get to use this site more and maybe even get to know some of you ?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Imported post

Well it was nice to see the Saturday crowd, although it seems that things deteriorated markedly from our high 'cucumber sandwiches and more tea vicar' social standards on the Sunday!  
Dive on!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts