YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My dad was a BSAC 2nd Class diver in the 70's & 80's but had to give up because he developed asthma. Now that diving with asthma is not an absolute no-no, he is interested to know if his qualification would still be recognized. In other words would he just need a review or would he have to start again (provided, of course that the doctor cleared him to dive).

any thoughts?

Cheers

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
I stopped diving around 1989 as a BSAC Sports Diver. When I took it up again in 2003, BSAC still had my records and recognised my qualification. The club I joined were happy to adopt me at that level after 'checking me out'.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
AFAIK Bsac only recognise your certification whilst you are an active member (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), Padi etc is a cert for life. However after 20yrs away from diving the kit will have changed quite a bit, so may diving philosophy, I think a complete re-start would certainly be the best approach. That's my personal opinion of course.

Matt

·
ego postulo urino
3,325 Posts
Last year we took on a BSAC 2nd Class diver who also hadn't dived for 20 years... prior to that he'd accumulated many hundreds of dives.

We agreed together that it would be useful to go through all of the training (Ocean Diver through...) again.

He did this without problem; he hadn't really lost any of his skills although technology and kit has advanced as some of our diving practices have to.

He says that he found going through the training again very useful.....

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
I think I wouldencourage him to go through the training again to upate and refresh him and rebuild confidence slowly. It shouldn't take too long and it's the best way to ensure nothing has been forgotten or overlooked.

·
Team Starburst
865 Posts
your dad was me,

i was a BSAC 3rd class diver [now sportsdiver] in the late 70's, in the late 90's i did the PADI OW course whilst on holiday [to fill a week in an all inclusive resort] decided in 2004 to get back into diving, joined my local BSAC club who were just starting a sports diver course after an assessment dive with the DO i was allowed to join the SD course and have since also completed the DL [3rd class] course.

I would recommend he do something similar whilst the concept is the same the kit has moved on somewhat - some of the kit we have now just didn't exist then for example

• BCD's - we had something called ABLJ's which stood alone [no direct feed] you could inflate them by blowing into them or by cracking the bottle
  • dive computers - you made a plan and dived it and got back with whatever air was left if you ran out you pulled the reserve leaver which in theory meant you had 50bar left and came up
  • octopus regs, you buddy breathed if something went wrong [it wasn't a pleasant experience]
  • contents gauges, if you ran out of air you pulled the reserve leaver [de ja vous]

so he'll need some training

ATB

Dave

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
your dad was me,

i was a BSAC 3rd class diver [now sportsdiver] in the late 70's, in the late 90's i did the PADI OW course whilst on holiday [to fill a week in an all inclusive resort] decided in 2004 to get back into diving, joined my local BSAC club who were just starting a sports diver course after an assessment dive with the DO i was allowed to join the SD course and have since also completed the DL [3rd class] course.

I would recommend he do something similar whilst the concept is the same the kit has moved on somewhat - some of the kit we have now just didn't exist then for example

• BCD's - we had something called ABLJ's which stood alone [no direct feed] you could inflate them by blowing into them or by cracking the bottle
  • dive computers - you made a plan and dived it and got back with whatever air was left if you ran out you pulled the reserve leaver which in theory meant you had 50bar left and came up
  • octopus regs, you buddy breathed if something went wrong [it wasn't a pleasant experience]
  • contents gauges, if you ran out of air you pulled the reserve leaver [de ja vous]

so he'll need some training

ATB

Dave
I got back into it in 1998 after a 12 year lay off (I did maybe half a dozen cray bashes in that period), it was no big deal, although I wouldn't recommend doing a 25m dive first off necessarily. The kit may have changed, but I disagree that it's a problem, the new stuff is just so much easier to use, it's hardly a challenge really.

Reactions: JamesW

·
NULLI-SECUNDUS
1,016 Posts
Hi in some way I would agree with Richard. I was taught the old BSAC way Novice Diver using the old Navy Tables and Sports upwards using the 88 tables. Once you can Dive you can Dive practice makes perfect.
I would not make him do all the training again just go through the important bits, skill reviews and start building up his dives and get him use to the new equipment.
Why don't he book on to a Scuba Review with a PADI school or a skills refresher with a BSAC school that will take him through all the basic skills.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have a mate who hadn't dived for 10 years - following a scuba review accepted diving to 30m - lets face it if your dad learned to dive in the 70's/80's with the advances in kit now its a walk in the park... great to hear....!

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
....and lets not forget. If he is going to join a BSAC club again he can sit in on all the theory lessons for free. No harm in listening to all the latest ideas.

A few shallow dives to get used to the new equipment should be all it needs.

We had a bloke come for a dive with us who hadn't dived for 15 years. Once he had got used to the BC he had no problems. All the old skills came back.

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
....and lets not forget. If he is going to join a BSAC club again he can sit in on all the theory lessons for free. No harm in listening to all the latest ideas.
That is a damned fine idea. I wish I'd had that opportunity.

A few shallow dives to get used to the new equipment should be all it needs.

We had a bloke come for a dive with us who hadn't dived for 15 years. Once he had got used to the BC he had no problems. All the old skills came back.
Ha. Yes, very true. My reintroduction was Tas/Aus style - I'll lead, you follow, catch me if you can to 25M. Fortunately the visibility was the same as the depth and there was no current to speak of. Funny thing was, while I was fairly anxious kitting up, that stopped as soon as I hit the water and I immediately felt very calm and relaxed, although I ripped through the air a bit; took me 3 or 4 months to get that bit under control.

That's just me though.....looking back, it would have been wiser to do a SCUBA review or something, which I probably would, had I known that such a thing existed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts