YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Nice one John, only know of you and Jerry.

Must have gone some to get a ban on there mate.

Dont want to know the details, just thought I'd congratulate you in being only the second one in living history.

Matt

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi Matt,

Which John? I've been Modified a couple of times, but its quite hard to get a ban. Don't really post there much now though.

Regards

Paul

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

Our very own John Duncan, got a bit heated regarding his SLAUGHTER thread.

Matt

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>its out of order banning people for speaking their mind, regardless. Fair enough remove anything that causes liable or offence (racism, etc) but banning him is out of order.
There is far to little people in the world getting pissed off with the way people screw with sea stuff. For a forum to go pc crazy is over the top. If people didnt feel strongly nowt would ever get done.

Dont worry john, next time the bsac mod is in the sea swimming with dolphins im sure they will introduce him to the concept of karma.

One of the good things about YD is at least they are moderated by fashists. (well bren occasionally.
)

Maybe all the Yders are always too drunk?

Power to the people.

On behalf of the Lobster Liberation front.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I think it was because John apparently refused to edit his post, I think it was the use of words like T***s was seen to be profane. Normally it's very difficult to get banned, it took ages before they canned Jerry B.

As much as I admire the passionate defence of environmental and wildlife issues,wherever it originates, I've discovered that passion alone tends to play into the hands of the opposing side and in order to be constructive it is necessary to be more objective, as hard as that may sometimes be.

As John Gulliver pointed out, sickening as this authorised dolphin slaughter may be, it is less of an issue than the undocumented drowning of dolphins in fishing nets or the finning of sharks.  It is this disregard for the species with whom we share our planet which makes me gag when folk go on about humans being "special" or "different" or "superior", the thing which makes our species stand out from the others is that we have an awareness of our impact on the world yet not the capacity to accept the responsibility for those actions. future generations,

We don't own this planet, we are supposed to be safeguarding it for future generations who would certainly be justified to regard us in the same light as we regard e.g. Neaderthal man.

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>You've been warned before.........
Right thats your name down on the list.

The day of judgement cometh for all you meat eaters.
The cows, lobsters and sheep of the land will rise up,
Anyone seen animal farm??

Not that one.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Heads Up @ Nov. 13 2003,10:33)]We're the Front of Lobster Liberators you splitter!
I thought we were the Popular Lobsters Liberation Front??  With special dispensation for 'Squat', 'Spiny' and 'Red'??

Ben Wrote:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]One of the good things about YD is at least they are moderated by fashists. (well bren occasionally.
Hey mate, the only thing for which I have a 'fascist'/zero tolerance is pore sspeling and baad gramur

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Right thats two names down on the list.
Anymore?

Gonna be like a disney horror movie next time YD gets back in the water.
Revenge of nemo.

Bren, If one did not spell incorrectly where else would you find amusement.
I blame it on the government. Bad education system since GCSE came in.
Or maybe im just a bit slow!

Anyway Im off now to oban, Im on a boat full of people planning to do scollop dives. Little do they know!! Will be taking my harpoon gun in order to keep the peace below surface. Who said there was not any scuba police.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Enjoy Oban mate, dive safe and see when ya get back. Don't forget the report?!

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>It was my use of the word MURDERERS that caused the distress, I did not call anyone a T***T(?), that word was used on here on another post (see link) with the same subject matter. I also refusede to apologise to the "fisherman" for their upset at being called murderers......T***t link

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Ere you can't beet a munch lunch lobster of the most munchy lunchy thermadore variety dover or lemon sole wiv chips mmmmm. crab pate with loads of toast. just cant be beten specialy when washed down with a fine white wine.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Imported post

Hi John,
It was I who declared the japanese and Icelanders to be a bunch of twats because of their atitudes to whales/dolphins/sharks etc..

I have some sympathy with Steve W's stance, the more irate you get with these people, the more you play into their hands.

How different the attitude would suddenly become if somebody kicked the family pet up the arse! Shrieks of cruelty to animals would abound. But the same caring dog owners can somehow equate the connivance of the British, and other fawning governments, as "positive action" when it comes to safeguarding the seas, its life, eco balance, call it what you will.

And of course the BSAC council are really making a grandstand effort. Who?
When??? Where?
How???

Meanwhile this time next year we will have thousands less whales, sharks and dolphins, more damaged corals etc etc, and Divernet will still rant and rave and bar people over the word "twats" or similar everyday expletives.

Puts the thing into perspective doesn't it??

The simple thoughts of a shark/whale/dolphin lover and a dog owner to boot!!

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Holmes @ Nov. 13 2003,20:50)]
The simple thoughts of a shark/whale/dolphin lover and a dog owner to boot!!
 I thought you were an animal lover.  Why don't you buy a football to boot and a dog to stroke, walk and throw sticks for.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Imported post

Good Point!!

Hi Norseman and Andy The Commie!

When I refered to the japanese and Icelanders as twats, please read governments as opposed to populace, if the two can be separated. I did in fact point out that in days gone by whales were legitimately hunted for food, oil, blubber etc, but said that in our society today either the need for these products had diminished or the products themselves had been replaced by alternatives which did not require the slaughter of thousands of sea animals!!

The attitude of the moderator who banned John from BSAC forums was (IMHO) that their own quiet (very quiet) brand of diplomacy would bring results. And that to my mind is crap!

I regret the needless slaughter of all animals, but when, as is so often the case, it is done for pure vanity or enhanced libido, then yes I have to be honest and admit I get very annoyed.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I regret the needless slaughter of all animals, but when, as is so often the case, it is done for pure vanity or enhanced libido, then yes I have to be honest and admit I get very annoyed.
Now I no more agree with the barbaric slaughter, plundering of the oceans or the US Navy doing the "2am disco volume" on all sea critters....

BUT...

Anyone remember in The Big Blue the scene of needless slaughter for fun? Killer Whales versus Blue Whale calf? I've heard tales of dolphins practicing infanticide (not sure on which species or the truth). So is human nature to blame or just the planets general barbaric nature?

PS Harris - just 'cause you make a decent pizza without meat doesn't mean I'll go veggie.  

·
Registered
7 Posts
Imported post

As in any of these issues, in todays pc climate as soon as you resort to shouting, or the use of "any obsenity" to defend your position you lose the argument.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

My wife was spraying the aphids on our roses this summer gone, I shouted "NO"...she carried on.

She loves animals and, of course, being both divers, we love sea animals....in fact we love all animals.

We had a nice lobster last night.

I think perspective might have a nice slant on it...as we saw in John's original post from mr iceland..who quoted john as one of the "twats"...I believe you did say it John...somewhere.

In any case, John had a good point but I was a bit scared to join that thread because it was so crazed.

Point above, you lose your argument as soon as you lose it...if you get my drift.

Cheers for now.

Graham

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (kinetic @ Nov. 13 2003,22:58)]I think perspective might have a nice slant on it...as we saw in John's original post from mr iceland..who quoted john as one of the "twats"...I believe you did say it John...somewhere.
Just because you believe it doesnt make it true but dont let the facts spoil your day, I know it wont spoil mine. scroll up 6 posts and you will see who said it.

p.s. can we end this now, it is getting REALLY boring.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts