YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi gang

Hope someone can help me here.  I am a ScotSAC diver and our Instructor course has changed...Long story, so I won't go into detail.  I believe that BSAC have Assistant Instructor qualifications!  Is this true and what are the details, are they allowed in the water with new trainees?  Please let me know, as I have an arguement to put forward at our AGM in March.

Furthermore, It is not my intention to hi-jack YD members, but if there are any ScotSAC divers on this forum, could you look in to the Scottish Divers forum, as there are a few proposals some members want to air.  Your views (anyone) would be welcome.

Thanx in advance

Billy
Scottish Divers

·
Registered
101 Posts
Imported post

As a BSAC assistant instructor what you are allowed to do depends on your diving qualification.
Sports Diver - can teach with in water supervision
Dive Leader - can teach with on site supervision.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Billy

The BSAC Asst. Instructor is someone who has done the Instructor Foundation Course (or previously the Instructor Training Course). It is just the start. This grade of instructor can only train under supervision in classroom or sheltered water (pool).

Adrian

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Thanks Hazey and Adrian, I take it that the BSAC assistant Instructor won't be allowed to take trainees into open water.

Have a good New Year

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Hi Bill

I am sure that a BSAC Ast. instructor can teach open water treainees as long as a qualified OWI is "on site" to supervise, not necessarily in the water.

I would just call BSAC in January and ask HO before I got into an argument over it, most of us have a slightly tainted view after the change over last year.

hic.

James

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I want to go and do my IFC in january in edinburgh, but i need more info about it.  The BSAC website isnt very forthcoming, such as where it is (Edinburgh being such a big place), what it entails, and what the costs cover.  Anyone shed any light?

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Porg

Contact BSAC to book and get details 0151 350 6209. Do it soon, they tend to get filled quickly.

Costs cover pool, classrooms etc, but not any meals or accomodation, thats down to you. You may be invited to an evening meal Sat, but you will have to prepare a 10 min lecture for Sunday, so spend the time wisely.

Adrian

·
Never enough time!!!!
86 Posts
Imported post

Just an extra question to tag onto this one...   I did the old BSAC ITC in 1998 and have recently qualified as a PADI OWSI. Anyone know the process for getting an equivalent BSAC Instructor qualification? I'm renewing my BSAC membership in Feb as it's sort of lapsed a wee bit now

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ Dec. 31 2003,14:55)]The BSAC Asst. Instructor is someone who has done the Instructor Foundation Course (or previously the Instructor Training Course). It is just the start. This grade of instructor can only train under supervision in classroom or sheltered water (pool).
i'm doing my instructor foundation course in two weeks so have been looking into this:

if you are dive leader level you can teach in the classroom, in the pool and in open water under 'on site supervision' by an open water instructor (not a club instructor). the said open water instructor will sign off the students' lessons - i.e. they have to be happy that you have taught them properly

if you are sports diver you can teach in classroom and pool under on site supervision by an OWI, and in open water under direct supervision by an OWI, i.e. they have to be on the dive.  they will then sign off the students lessons

porg - if you want info on the IFC, PM me and i'll send you all the info BSAC sent me when i paid for mine

kate

1 - 11 of 11 Posts