YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I'm posting this on behalf of Newcastle uni club in relation to this weekends Wast gig for the trainees which I'll be on too
Cheers
steve

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello
I am an instructor of the Newcastle University BSAC Branch and we are running a training Weekend in Wastwater (Lake District) on the 28/29th of February. We are short on instructors due to cancellations (hence the short notice) and I was wondering if anybody would be interested. It would be mostly Ocean Diver drills and maybe the odd Sports Diver drill. Accomondation is in the (very nice) Youth Hostel. Some sort of refund of travel expenses on top of free food and acoomondation should be possible.
If you are interested (and it would be great if we could find one ore two more instructors) post it here or email me at:
[email protected]

Thanks a lot

Matthias

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Steve,

Sorry i'm working, and its a bit far. Have you/they tried the regional or Area Coach? They usually have a few willing instructors up their sleeve.

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

Steve,

I'm teaching at Capernwray, otherwise I would have been able to come over - Wast was great this weekend, more fish than I have seen in there ever, A big shoal of them at one point! Everywhere very muddy though. Do you dive straight from the YH? 2 red squirrels chasing each other across the road outside the YH too, very nice to see!

Let me know if you need details for the West Cumbria BSAC to get air (or do you take a comp over?)

Is the no expenses thing usual for your club? We go for next to nothing, but still have to pay some

Paul

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Cheers guys for the replies.

I'll be seeing the TO tonight and will mention the regional coach, but as this one is in addition to the regular regional weekend and the "subsidies" aren't as forthcoming, I  expect most of the potential instructors will pass over it,  I believe the general consensus last time was "youth hostel! I wanna stay in the f***ing Pub! "
(I expect the TO hs already tried this avenue but I'll remind her)

THe club is fairly skint these days and is trying to do it on a very tight  budget so the lack of beer money is unpopular.

We've tried diving from the grounds of the YH but it's shallower and muddier than the two usual sites so it's not feasible

Quite how Newcastle students are so much more skint than the Leeds students who do their training in Malta is a puzzle to me, they seem to have plenty of money for clubbing when I talk to them

Incidentally, I have tried to get them to consider that but with no success, how does leeds mange to do it?

Chee-az
steve

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

Steve,

Ahhh, students today. Still getting their priorities all wrong - I think we are just getting old

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Incidentally, I have tried to get them to consider that but with no success, how does leeds mange to do it?
The key is marketing and targeting. Get them interested in diving (I have to say I love giving the inspirational lecture!), get a deposit off them at the beginning of term when they feel rich and then get a post dated cheque just before xmas for the balance directly after the loans go into their accounts!!

Malta does have its pros and cons. On the plus side it is a comfortable place to learn to dive, plenty of fish life, great diving and a holiday atmosphere. On the negative side however are the costs (£350 this year), which are paid by everyone (no discount for instructors) and we do seem to train a lot of people over there who do not rejoin - I am not sure the figure is any lower than the % of our members who choose to do UK training (about 15 per year on top of the 40 or so who go to Malta). A further negative point is that people see and take it as a holiday atmosphere causing a different set of problems. I was DO for the last 2 trips and as much as I try to impress on trainees it is not, they do to take it as such - being late in the mornings, staying out too late, not pulling their weight when moving kit around etc etc.

I am sure other Leeds members on here will not mind me mentioning the whole beer issue. It is nice to have a beer in the evening, but unlike UK trips when trainees find themselves in a new environment (i.e. a YHA in Wastwater), suddenly they feel they are on holiday and a bunch of people they see as the "grown ups" are telling them not to drink to much - teenagers eh
We have certainly banned people through hangovers before now.

I think the key to Malta is that now it is established. I am not going this year (am doing a long weekend Oban liveaboard after my thesis is submitted instead), but have been the last 3 and it has got easier as we go through. We now know the dive sites, we know the crappy road system, we are aware of which sites are suitable for the skills we need, we have got set routine which can be torn up if necessary. All of this can make for a lot less stress - which is avoided now we have experience on the ground.

Maltaqua always commend us for our organisational abilities, they say they see uni groups who are 10x more chaotic that us  - which is nice to hear. Speaking to Agnes at the NEC she was suprsingly happy we were going back!

Paul

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

BTW

If anyone wants some more details about training large groups abroad, get in contact, I am happy to write more and have lots of tales to recount!!

Paul

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Steve,

the wife has to work this w/end so I'm child sitting otherwise I would have been up for it.

Hope they get enough instructors to manage.

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Apparently we're only one instructor down, we'll manage I reckon. Probably due to the fact that most of them will only want to do one dive in these conditions

1 - 8 of 8 Posts