YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Guys

For those that are interested i did the BSAC Lifeasver course this weekend with SE Region. The course is a combination of Scuba, Snorkel and Swimming rescue skills. It is designed to be taught at branch level and then tested by an examiner at your choice of location.

This weekends course was run as a 2 day event with a very full day sat with all the teaching and practice done then a day of tests sun.

We started Sat with some theory stuff on Rescue management, then did AV and CPR on some poor Annies, followed by recovery positions and sicking up cas.

Then into the pool for rope and buoyant aid throwing and non-contact rescue. Followed by a snorkel rescue, CBL + tow with AV + Dekiting and landing the cas, followed by a swiming rescue with Deep water supported AV (4 min of AV against the side of the pool) and a deep water unconciouse swimmer support (4 min supporting an unconciouse cas with a neck extension) and at the end of all that we had some revision. Oh there was another burst of theory DCI, F.Aid, Phisiology etc in the early afternoon.

It was interesting stuff and bloody hard work.

Sun was tests,

1.theory (80% to pass!!!)
2. AV and CPR on an Annie, then in the pool.
3. Rope throwing and swimmer recovery.
4. buoyant aid throwing and swimmer recovery.
5. Snorkel rescue (4 lengths to cas, then 2 lengths towing him, then recover out of the pool)
6. Scuba rescue, CBL, 65m tow with AV and shore landing.
7. Swimmer Recovery (1 and 1/2 lengths, recover cas and tow 10m, support and give AV for 4 min then get out of water using a passer by).
8. Swimmer Support (Keep unconciouse swimmer buoyant for 4 min with a neck extension).

I thoroughly enjoyed the course as both revision (60%) and learning new skills (40%) and i am totally knackered from it. I would say if you get the chance then do it.

The course is aimed at Ocean and Sport divers, but most were Dive Leaders or Advanced Divers and 60% were instructors and we all got lots out of it.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

I'm glad someone else found this course hard work. We did it really quickly when the pool we use for training changed its policy and made up provide lifeguards.  We spent an hour looking at the theory, an hour praticing in the pool and then the exam. The guy examining us was ex-RAF and really put us through our paces. I actually ached afterwards!! All of us passed though which was nice!

Good course though! Very useful in both a rescue and skills refreshment point of view.

Paul

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I've heard that it's physically very tough, even the guy I know who swims competitively said it was tough!
Still it's deffo one I intend to do at some point in the near future but it seems to be rarely ran

·
Registered
160 Posts
Imported post

I did the course when Paul Beal did and I found it very hard work.  After towing Paul in swimming kit (no fins or anything) for a couple of lengths I was exhausted, especially after doing several other rescues.  Then keeping him afloat for several minutes was even worse.  Finally I struggled out of the pool thinking it was all over and the examiner made us all swim two more lengths at full pelt.  By the time I reached the side again I was completely dead and climbing out of the pool was one of the hardest bits of the whole exam!  I definitely felt I'd earned my pint that night!  Lou

·
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Steve

Yes it is not run very often, i think this was the first time SE Region had done it this way. The swimming aspects were new skills really. The techniques used to get the cas out of the water was very interesting and useful.

Lou - I had no problems getting out the water on the Sat, although lots did (it was quite a high side to the pool). But on Sun i did not realise how tired i was and struggled on the first couple, a lot better once i had warmed up.

I found the theory test very hard as well and had to rack my brain big style for a couple of the answers.

Not that i have much to rack before anyone else says it.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Imported post

Sorry to revive an old thread but im supposed to be starting this next week in club so wanted to know what i was in for.

Suppose its too late to get fit now

·
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

String

If you are doing it over several pool sessions i would say no problems, but doing it over a weekend was quite intensive. However i am a bit Lardass nowerdays and due to a lack of vis off Dover have not dived for a while so lacking in current exercise.

I dont think anyone failed for lack of fitness, they just found it hard.

Its well worth the effort of doing, the more skills the better.

Enjoy

Paul

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Imported post

Fair enough.  Yep we're doing it over a series of once a week one hour pool session (so it'll take a while).  Pool is 30m long and 4m deep so some of the exercises on the diagrams here involve a lot of back and forth tracking to get the required distance.

My fitness has dropped shall we say, not been near the gym for a year, stopped squash, rugby and other things (apathy the main reason) and due to the weather i havent dived since november.  I need to work on that really.  I found a 30m tow with AV in dive kit hard going tonight!

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Imported post

I did the course in the morning, the exam in the afternoon.
Knackered was not the word! But, I was a lot fitter then (in training for my First Class Exam).
I followed it the following w/e with the Advanced Lifesaver. February - Force 6 inside Portland Harbour (rope throwing exercise was ...interesting....) Told if I was stupid enough to want to do the exam in February what could I expect! (we found a "sheltered spot"...
I was even more knackered than the w/e before - BUT... I really felt that I had achieved something. I dive in February, so I should be capable of carrying out a rescue in the any conditions I may dive in. It was physically the hardest exam I have done.
I am now an Instructor & Examiner for Lifesaver and Advanced Lifesaver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts