1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
C&P'd from the BSAC Forum

John Kermode said:
Rebreathers in BSAC Training
Nick Kay contacted me to ask for an opinion about the use of rebreathers in BSAC training. Having consulted with my colleagues on the National Diving Committee I hope that the following helps to clarify the position.

BSAC advice and guidance is regularly reviewed and updated and so the BSAC website provides the most up-to- date information:
The page: Rebreathers in BSAC Training - BSAC
provides a comprehensive matrix of when a rebreather can be used in diver training and includes details of suitable buddy pairing for non training dives for qualified divers. (this supercedes the published information in 'Safe Diving').
In answer to a supplementary question from Nick: The current view of the NDC is that it is not necessary for the instructor to be a rebreather instructor if they are instructing/ assessing an open circuit candidate within the above matrix and teaching generic diving rather than rebreather specific skills. They do need to be rebreather qualified , and have gained adequate experience (an instructor cannot afford to be distracted by his own learning needs whilst responsible for student training), on the unit they use and they need to be at least an OWI. The guidance and suitability of such a situation will continue to be reviewed.
The same principle applies even if the student is also a rebreather user. The student has already been taught to use the unit on a SCR or CCR on a basic ‘air diluent’ course or mixed gas (tri-mix/heliox) diluent courses or by a rebreather qualified instructor.
The next question was with respect to particular rebreather units.
Our position is that, for branch diving, CE approved units may used as may those units which have a training programme recognised by BSAC.

The web page: Recognised Rebreather Training Agencies & Courses. - BSAC

provides current guidance as to the recognised training programmes and the respective units.

The NDC have taken the view that, anyone teaching on an Instructor Training Scheme (ITS) event must use a CE marked unit. This reflects the guidance to which BSAC Centres and those operating commercially must adhere.

I hope that this answers the questions.

Regards

John

John Kermode
Diver Training Group Coordinator

·
No longer open water diver
1,319 Posts
Just out of interest, how would you demonstrate a fin pivot to an open water student if you were diving on a rebreather?

Rich
in BSAC-land you wouldn't, ocean and sports demonstration must be on OC (though sports-level assessment can be on RB).

Al

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
how does the training work with bsac, is there loan units for the course or do you need to get your unit direct form ap?
I'm not sure I've come across a BSAC CCR course, other than the first test runs, that wasn't run by a school. A school might have units but normally prefer to teach you on your own. If it was a branch they certainly would not have a spare CCR sitting about and BSAC, as a Central operation, has no kit.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
I'm not sure I've come across a BSAC CCR course, other than the first test runs, that wasn't run by a school. A school might have units but normally prefer to teach you on your own. If it was a branch they certainly would not have a spare CCR sitting about and BSAC, as a Central operation, has no kit.
BSAC does own rebreathers though. Usually used for try dive sessions.

·
Bashing head against brick wall
2,105 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
57 Posts
Umm... don't think you buy them from Garry?
Hi Nick,

Just to answer your question I have just purchased one (an Evo) for Mike G.

I can get them direct from AP as well but as I don't have a business account its actually cheaper to go via a shop (go figure!).

Just completed the course as well, which was hard work but good fun.

No more planned just yet until the Yorkshire regional CCR course in Dec, so I'm off doing some more mixed gas dives. Also just been told that the target of our trip down to Cornwall with the guys who filmed Deep Sea Wreck Mystery's is an 80 mtr unknown wreck (and there's a full film crew on board - someone to avoid as I don't want to break their camera! lol!). Well looking forward to it.

Cheers

........... Garry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.