YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm not clued up on BSAC standards like i am with PADI,
can anyone tell me how deep you are allowed to go as an ocean diver in training?

Cheers,
safe diving! x

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much! x

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Close.

The maximum depth during training depends on the previous depth achieved and the lesson in question. You must be able to demonstrate depth progression (5m between dives is reasonable). You should not exceed the maximum depth of the lesson where one is stated.

Following the book to the letter the trainee would dive to 20m on the final assessment. Lessons can be given provided there is sufficient depth to teach the skills. Where an OD has not achieved 20m during the open water lessons they must log progressively deeper dives with an instructor until they have reached 20m. If you are not a BSAC instructor you should not dive with an OD deeper than they have already dived.

Which is all a bit long winded but makes a bit of sense.

·
1,171 Posts
Hi Livvy,
Just to expand a little on tiggerbike's input:

Firstly, you can read a review of the Ocean Diver qualification here:

BSAC Diver Grades - Ocean Diver - BSAC

Secondly the 5 open water dives that are part of the course are described in the Instructor Manual as follows depth wise:

OO1 Maximum 6m
OO2 Maximum 10m
OO3 Maximum 15m
OO4 Maximum 20m
OO5 Maximum 20m

However, there is also a box in the qualification folder to indicate the ACTUAL maximum depth achieved during training. If this is less than 20m then gradual depth increases are carried out after qualification with a suitable buddy.

You do not have to dive to 20m to get qualified. For example my 13 yr old daughter is an Ocean Diver but her max depth to date is 15m, and this is indicated in her qualification folder.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards,

David.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, you've all been really helpful!

It's clarified something for me

safe diving everyone! x

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
If this is less than 20m then gradual depth increases are carried out after qualification with a suitable buddy.
***genuine question***
What does the term 'suitable buddy' mean?

I ask because i have never got to grips with the BSAC quali system, and am not a BSAC club member.

For a qualified PADI OW, which I think may be broadly similar, they can dive with anyone with a similar or higher qualification.

·
1,171 Posts
OK, we need to split this into three scenarios; whether they are encountering new experiences or not or increasing the depth encountered.

The link in my earlier post had this information; the first three statements should answer your question. The first statement is also under the supervision of a Dive Manager too.

Definition of an Ocean Diver
An Ocean Diver is defined as a diver who is competent to conduct dives:

* With another Ocean Diver or with a Sports Diver, within the restrictions of the conditions already encountered during their training
* With a Dive Leader or higher grade, to expand their experience beyond the conditions encountered during their training, under the supervision of a Dive Manager.
* To a depth which is initially limited to the maximum experienced during training, but which can subsequently be extended progressively, under the supervision of a Nationally Qualified Instructor (NQI), to a maximum of 20m
* Using breathing gas mixes of Air, Nitrox32 or Nitrox36
* Not requiring mandatory decompression stops
* Under the on-site supervision of a Dive Manager with respect to site selection, conditions and dive plan where other divers, capable of providing assistance and rescue, are available at the surface
* Within BSAC safe diving recommendations
Hope this helps.

David.

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
***genuine question***
What does the term 'suitable buddy' mean?

I ask because i have never got to grips with the BSAC quali system, and am not a BSAC club member.

For a qualified PADI OW, which I think may be broadly similar, they can dive with anyone with a similar or higher qualification.
"Suitable buddy" is decided by whoever is marshalling the day. How they make that decision depends on the site and conditions. I am very unlikely to pair two Ocean Divers together (I think I've done so once or twice). But that in part reflects where my club dives.

Two Sports Divers can dive together comfortably.

Janos

·
Lord Protector of the Pies and Defender of the Bee
1,021 Posts
Two Sports Divers can dive together comfortably.

Janos
Well that depends how close they want to get surely:)

Don't worry my coats on and i'm out of here..............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts