YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I'm booked on the BSAC TIE in London on 25th April. Any other YDers going to it? Please let me know on this thread or e-mail me.

Any advice from anyone who has already sat the TIE would be most grateful. My lesson subject is Dive Suits.

Thanks

Ian

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Imported post

Advice...keep it simple, keep it short - you only have 10 mins. Lots of graphics and maybe one or two suits to show. Don't go into too much detail and get the audience involved - ask open questions. Best of luck.

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Imported post

Hi there,

I did my TIE in London earlier this year. The London instructors are a good bunch of people and remember that they're on your side - they're not out to get you.

Tips for the presentation:

1) 10 minutes really isn't very much, apparently one of the biggest mistakes is trying to do too much. If, during your practice sessions, you find yourself running out of time, then cut down the content and start the lecture by saying (for example) "as you will recall last week we talked about wetsuits, today we're going to talk about drysuits." As long as you set the scene correctly it's not a problem. I reckon you could easily spend 10 minutes talking about different types of gloves.

2) Get people involved. I would definitely try and get people up to the front of the class doing stuff. This gets you good marks with the examiner and when you're teaching for real stops people falling asleep. With your suit thing, it's a bit harder but you could perhaps get people up to feel the difference between membrane and neoprene, etc etc.

3) Practice outloud in front of someone, even if it's the cat. Time yourself and cut out material (see 1 above) if it's too long. Practice again and again.

Good luck, and enjoy it!

Laters,
   Janos

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi Capel

All good advice above. On the Theory test revise at DL level, work on the 88 tables so you can rattle through them as there will be a lot of table questions and you can loose a lot of time there.

Good Luck

Paul

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Imported post

Go along to your local dive store (one that does repairs is
best) and ask for some old scarp bits of different types of
materials.

3mm, 5mm, 7mm neoprene.
Compressed neoprene.
Trilaminate etc.

You can even grab some brochures, rip out a page and stick
sample to the top. So you can relate both material and the
final result.

If that's no good ask around your club. I have a load of old
bits from gloves to slap straps etc. All different types of
neoprene.

Result is that you can not only talk about suits, but actually
show (and they can feel) what they are made of.

HTH
TerryH

·
Registered
19 Posts
Imported post

No doubt you're completely prepared by now but whilst you're rehearsing bear in mind the 4 essential criteria detailed on your IFC.

1 Information up to date and accurate
2 Contains all the ‘must know’ information
3 Information presented in a logical, progressive manner
4 Points supported by appropriate visual aids.

Hit all these points and you pass.

HTH and best of luck  

·
Registered
483 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Hi,

The biggest thing I got pulled up on when I did my CI (old version of TI) is trying to cover many things in not much detail, ie. give a broad spectrum. However, the examiners don't like this!!! They rather you focus in on one thing and give detail about it. If I were you, I would give a very short intro (no more than 1 minute) stating the main types of suits (wesuit, semi-dry, dry), then say something like "Today we are going to focus on drysuits", or whatever suit you choose. Then give your lecture about the suit. In the conclusion part finish by saying "Next week we will look in more detail at the Wetsuit", then finish by asking "Any questions?".

A few ideas of things to talk about would be:
- Suit construction
- Main features (eg. inflator, dump valve, zip etc.)
- Uses (ie. what conditions)
- Care & Maintenance
- What to be careful of (eg. suit squeeze with a drysuit)

Maybe not cover all of these, but should give you a few ideas.

Hope that helps. Good luck!!

Jen

·
Registered
46 Posts
Imported post

Hi Ian
I will be at the London TIE on the 25th I have been given Atmospheric pressure  to do as my lecture
all the advice above seems pretty much bang on from what I can remember form my IFC  2 months ago (which was at the same venue)
See you there
Good luck
Stuart

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi all

Thanks for the good advice above.

Two YDers sat the exam, ScubaStu and me. We both passed with flying colours.

Ian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts