1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Kelpy asked the original question:

[Kelpy wrote]:

"I am a BSAC OWI and am considering doing a cross over to Padi Instructor. Does anyone know what level I would have to start at and how much it would cost?
cheers
Kelpy"  

-------------------------------------------------------

Then Nick came back with:

[Nick wrote]:

"Hope this helps

Guide For Enrolment of BSAC Divers into a PADI Course

This guide can be used by PADI Instructors wishing to establish where a diver holding a current BSAC certification would begin training within the PADI System of Diver Education. It represents the highest level course that each diver could enrol in. At the PADI Instructor’s discretion, based upon their pre-assessment of the diver, they may decide to begin training at lower levels within the PADI System.

It should be noted that the final decision to allow the use of a certification from other recreational training organisations as prerequisites for further training within PADI, is at the discretion of the individual PADI Instructor.

Please note that all other course prerequisites must be met prior to the start of training.

BSAC to PADI

Ocean Diver or Club Diver
may enrol in an
Advanced Open Water Diver Course

Sport Diver
may enrol in an
Advanced Open Water Diver Course

Sport Diver with at least 20 logged dives
may enrol in an
Rescue Diver Course

Dive Leader
may enrol in an
Divemaster Course

Advanced Diver
may enrol in an
Divemaster or Assistant Instructor Course

Club Instructor
may enrol in an
Instructor Development Course

Open Water Instructor
may enrol in an
Instructor Development Course

Advanced Instructor
may enrol in an
Instructor Orientation Course"

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

If he has to do the full IDC which I think he will have to then he is looking at about £1000.00 to £1200.00 all in with fees and materials (manuals etc). Not cheap!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

Hi Phil,

Please tell me you didn't pay that much just for the IDC !!

The BSAC guy will have to do the IDC/Exam ( as I understand it )in order to protect the integrity of the PADI system which is fair enough but should expect to pay maybe £500 ish for that part, plus exam fee (£295 from memory) & membership fee.

Dive safe mate
Paul

(Blimey that does come to about £900 odd anyway - Put Another Dollar In as they say :eek::

(Edited by jjflash at 10:22 pm on Jan. 3, 2003)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

Paul, without digging out the paperwork I think it was roughly like this.
AI  £350
Rest of Idc £400
IE £200 maybe more cant remember
Materials £220
Padi Fee £90
Soon adds up and then there is the specialities, bloody ####, just think of the kit I could have bought with that. Have you bought a 'bog seat' yet. ha ha!!

PADI Pay And Destitute Instantly.

(Edited by Phil Ennis at 10:41 pm on Jan. 3, 2003)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

So it appears that if you are already a BSAC or other agency  instructor at the level of teaching in open water, PADI think you're no more advanced than Joe Bloggs wanting to start their instructor training programme from scratch? Seems a bit discourteous towards the standards of other agencies.

Dunno if I've got the wrong end of the stick but Capernwray are advertising "Instructor Crossovers" for about 100-200 quid, I thought it sounded unrealistically cheap for a PADI course, having said that they may be doing some special deal of their own I suppose
Chee-az
Steve

(Edited by Steve W at 10:35 am on Jan. 6, 2003)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

Steve

What PADI is trying to do is preserve the 'PADI system' of teaching/diver education - this is evidenced throughout it's professional/non professional courses - ie to be a Master Scuba Diver you have to have completed only PADI courses/specialities up to that point - equivelent qualifications are not acceptable.

From what I've heard, BSAC has also exhibited the same type of thing through branches stating that a PADI Instructor could only join the branch as a Ocean Diver or other such lowly status until such time as the DO has had a chance to look them over or other such patronising terms ! One would have thought that given some branches struggle to train recruits due to instructors time contraints or simply not being active they would have snapped the hand off a professionally trained instructor wanting to join the branch !

Re the crossovers at Capernwray - are these for instructor crossovers or the PADI MFAI crossover to the new Emergency First Responder Instructor as advertised on the changing room door for one place ! Can't be sure but seen to recall that as being the only place I've seen he word mentioned there - should know as I'm supposed to be doing the course with 'em this month if they've still got space !

Perhaps Phil could enlighten us !

Cheers
Paul

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

A PADI instructor crossing over to a BSAC Branch would be classified using the SALT tables. These go for any level of diver from any organisation.

All organisations basically downgrade anyone from elsewhere except BSAC and SAA who are very simillar.

BSAC would class a PADI AOW as an Ocean diver (max depth 20m) as they have not done the Rescue skills a sports diver does. PADI class a BSAC Sports diver as a OW as they have not done a 35m dive (which they progress to once they have passed the course).

If you have a look at Andrew Wade's web site on this link he has most listed. I doubt it caters for BSAC's new and to me far better Diver Training Program.

http://www.diveinstruct.org.uk/crossovers.html

A quick dive review should not be a problem for anyone wanting to join a club. As covered elsewhere some DO's are Ass****s, but there is a lot of potential culpability on their shoulders. Afterall it is not too difficult to blag qualifications and experience, and incredibly some people do.

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]

Re the crossovers at Capernwray - are these for instructor crossovers or the PADI MFAI crossover to the new Emergency First Responder Instructor as advertised on the changing room door for one place ! Can't be sure but seen to recall that as being the only place I've seen he word mentioned there - should know as I'm supposed to be doing the course with 'em this month if they've still got space !
<span =''>

Aha! that'll be it then, that's where I saw the adverts too (on the toilet doors!)
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

Thanks Paul,
That saved me a lot of typing. Yes the crossover is from the defunct (almost) MFAI to EFRI, which off the top of my head  is £155. Obviously however good an instructor you are if you change agencies you have to learn how to teach the way they do it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

Hi Paul

Yes I agree that crossovers should be done in accordance with SALT table and I didn't mean to tar BSAC in general with the same brush - I was referring to something I read somewhere in Diver mag I think which did strike me as a bit petty - but as you say the DO does have a fair amount of responsibility on his/her shoulders I guess

Thanks for putting the link on though - very useful! :yelclap:

Dive safe
Paul

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

Paul,

When are you doing the EFRI crossover ? We could get together and have a beer or two, if  youre staying with JP and Issy, they owe me a pint or two. Hope to see you soon.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

Gonna confirm it with Carol later today but scheduled for w/end of the 1st Feb - Saturday is the full course

See ya then
Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts