YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm toying with the idea of joining BSoUP and have been for a while (me and Turbs could join for £25, I think).

My main reason for joining would be to enter the competions - not with any real expectation of winning (having looked at past winning photos) but more to give me a purpose when I take my camera in the water.

It's hard to put my question/thoughts into words but, to those YDers who are members already, how crap are the crappiest entries you get? See, I just look at the winners and think there's no point bothering, but there must be lots of photos submitted that are a bit rubbish, maybe even rubbisher than mine.

I entered the Splash In in 2009 and, while my photo was pretty dire, frankly I've deleted better photos than some of the entries. If I knew that, whilst not the best, my photos were at least not the worst, I'd feel happier about joining! I just have visions of all the judges sat round, guffawing at all the crap photos ('cos I know I would :embarassed:)

·
Is somewhere else!
4,728 Posts
I was wondering about joining them too, but not really sure why I would.
Are there any benefits other than having the frustration of not winning competitions?

Loads of good tips on their website mind.....

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering about joining them too, but not really sure why I would.
Are there any benefits other than having the frustration of not winning competitions?

Loads of good tips on their website mind.....
Well, this is what I'm wondering. We couldn't attend the meetings so the competitions are about the only benefit and the frustration would, I suspect, start to kick in after a while.

On the other hand, I reckon eventually I'll stop taking my camera in with me so frequently unless I've got a good reason to, and I don't want that to happen.

·
Is somewhere else!
4,728 Posts
Hmmn - My main reason for taking a camera is to show Mrs T what's down there - her not really being into getting cold, hanging round carparks, etc.
I guess its a bit harder for you.....unless you take turns taking a camera with you? Tell Turbs he has to leave his behind when you take yours in - that'll put the photo pressure on.

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
Kisrtie, Woody enters just about every month and his shots are crap, so you'll rarely come last ;) Seriously, there are the splashins to enter too and it's not too late to get your name down for this year's entry. I think it's in Plym so you'd have home advantage too.

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmn - My main reason for taking a camera is to show Mrs T what's down there - her not really being into getting cold, hanging round carparks, etc.
I guess its a bit harder for you.....unless you take turns taking a camera with you? Tell Turbs he has to leave his behind when you take yours in - that'll put the photo pressure on.
We don't really get the chance to dive together with our cameras much, only really on holiday or the odd UK dive weekend away.

I do most of my diving with Pasty Man Stan or a female buddy. They both have cameras and are content to snap away at stuff. I get bored doing this and find myself thinking 'I've already got umpteen photos of a Tompot, why bother with another one?'

Shooting for a competition might make me a bit more careful and try a bit harder.

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kisrtie, Woody enters just about every month and his shots are crap, so you'll rarely come last ;) Seriously, there are the splashins to enter too and it's not too late to get your name down for this year's entry. I think it's in Plym so you'd have home advantage too.
LOL, that's encouraging :D

I've already got the Splash In date in my diary and will definitely enter that one. I just fancy having a go at the others as well.

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
I go because it's £2.55 a pint:) I made my membership fee back in a couple of months.

You do get a magazine, but they sometimes forget to put a stamp on it.

Also, some of the comps are open, rather than members only.

I have honestly seen some shocking entries into the competitions, but it is the audience on the night that votes, and sometimes, what you expected to be a sure fire winner comes nowhere.

The talks are usually quite good (except when Decosnapper is waffling about copyright;) - only joking Simon:D) but you have said yourself the distance means those are not really a consideration.

I keep entering the comps I can enter, or that I feel I have a chance in, and haven't even had a 6th place yet, but I keep plugging away. Whilst it would be nice to place in one, it's not the be all and end all for me.

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps I'll just enter the open comps for now. If, by some miraculous miracle, I get placed in the top 100 (ha!) I may be persuaded to join.

Alternatively, I could get someone to organise a photo comp in our club down here.

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts
Perhaps I'll just enter the open comps for now. If, by some miraculous miracle, I get placed in the top 100 (ha!) I may be persuaded to join.

Alternatively, I could get someone to organise a photo comp in our club down here.
Well volunteered bird ;)

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well volunteered bird ;)
I can't be the organiser! How will I win? Everyone will say it's a fix!

Perhaps I'll get Paul to do it.....then it'd be perfectly fair when, sorry, if I win.

:D

W

·
0 Posts
Kisrtie, Woody enters just about every month and his shots are crap, so you'll rarely come last ;)
Ahem! Wanker! ;) :D
I've entered 3 in fact and come second in 1 (and that was with my old G9!) and nowhere in others, I dont see the need as a remote member, there is nothing advantageous to being a member on their website as the most useful info is available to all, their forum is covered in cobwebs, newbies incl me and Pete try on there but no real help exists.
Competitions never offer any constructive criticism, they havent got the time to be fair, but it would be good if this happened online perhaps....but doesnt and never will.
Main advantage I would say is just to say you're a member and be on their website but theres so many others of them you just blend in.
I havent renewed mine yet as I cant see the need to, I enjoy the odd trip up there to see other "toggers" I know, but its all over too quick and I dont get home til 1am, and lost 2 hours work because of it, and also have to be up at 5:30am, be better if it was on a weekend!

They have a nice little mag that comes out once or twice a year too, which I have been in too :D
I've offered loads of CC to them but not sure they listen, I'll still enter their splash in as its open to all, so is their facebook site which is quiet too.

I'm not slating them here, at all, theyre all really nice folk, just hasnt worked for me. I've tried to start up a local one for the south coast but really I'm not established enough in the game to do such a thing

All in all, unless any of their senior members wish to comment here (cue the ones looking for the illegal seahorse shots! ;)) I really cant see much use for me. If you love just entering comps then great do it! but its so hard picking ones entries, whenthe majority of times theres no prize. Also depends how much spare time you have too

Thats that off me chest, been wanting to air that for ages but always pressed cancel before post!!

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
I was once persuaded by a certain Mr Pitkin (the bstd) to enter six trannies in their annual competition. The slides were voted for by the audience. I got nil points! It was very humiliating. :(

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Having looked at the winners' gallery, the same names tend to crop up with suspicious regularity. Might I increase my chances of winning if I were to join?

W

·
0 Posts
I've joined BUPG so far this year, Arthur is a extremely helpful guy, they also offer CC in their meets on your entries to their comps, and they also have their own Plymouth splash in which warms you up for the Bsoup one

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've joined BUPG so far this year, Arthur is a extremely helpful guy, they also offer CC in their meets on your entries to their comps, and they also have their own Plymouth splash in which warms you up for the Bsoup one
Ooh, when's theirs?

I'll check them out properly when I get home.

·
Nauticam UK
788 Posts
If you pick your meetings, the talks can be very instructive. It is good to see what others are up to. Be prepared to feel alienated on the first meeting or two as us Brits are never that good in social situations are we, and photography geeks, well.... If you bump into a pissed bloke, that'll be Sean on his eighth pint :)

But you do get opportunities to be involved in diving trips with other likeminded people and you do get to vote for your own pictures if you turn up to meetings.

If you want a different atmosphere, try the Bristol group. They are a smaller group which allows more discussion. They also have some very talented individuals among them who are very keen to share their experiences. They also have a splash-in the month before BSoUP so they can all practise for the BSoUP event.

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you pick your meetings, the talks can be very instructive. It is good to see what others are up to. Be prepared to feel alienated on the first meeting or two as us Brits are never that good in social situations are we, and photography geeks, well.... If you bump into a pissed bloke, that'll be Sean on his eighth pint :)

But you do get opportunities to be involved in diving trips with other likeminded people and you do get to vote for your own pictures if you turn up to meetings.

If you want a different atmosphere, try the Bristol group. They are a smaller group which allows more discussion. They also have some very talented individuals among them who are very keen to share their experiences. They also have a splash-in the month before BSoUP so they can all practise for the BSoUP event.
To be honest, we'd have to be pretty lucky for our infrequent trips to Guildford to coincide with a meeting date (we generally only go to stay at Paul's mum's before jetting off on holiday). I'm not sure we'd make the trip to London just for a meeting (such a shocking lack of commitment!)

Bristol might be more do-able, but it's still a 4 hr round trip for us.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I go because it's £2.55 a pint:) .....................
The talks are usually quite good (except when Decosnapper is waffling about copyright;) - only joking Simon:D) .................
You could have gone to the bar at that moment......he he he.....

I go along for many reasons; To have a chat with other like minded people, to see what others are doing with their work and to take inspiration. I do the occasional talk there too and give back - I hope - what I find works and in doing so inspire others.

Competition-wise the standards of winning images are high, but I see that as a positive thing as it helps all of us raise our collective game. Like many, I rarely enter and therefore remain rarely disappointed.......if you get what I mean.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I was having a clear out the other day and came across the entry I put into their 2010 beginner portfolio ...
and I said to myself 'what on earth was I thinking' ... as I pressed shift+delete

I will hang my head in shame as I walk past their stand at LIDs

I have honestly seen some shocking entries into the competitions, but it is the audience on the night that votes, and sometimes, what you expected to be a sure fire winner comes nowhere.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts