YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My BT Home Hub seems to have stopped working (wireless and lan isn't working) and I really cannot face the thought of having to bang my head against a brick wall by ringing the BT call centre in India! (BT Broadband has truely the worst customer service dept I've ever experienced).

I do however have a Tiscalli broadband modem (think it's called a speed touch). Will the Tiscalli modem work with the BT broadband? I plugged it in last night, and the laptop didn't have the driver installed so it didn't work straight away. I do have the Tiscalli installation CD, but didn't want to run it last night in case it overwrote all the BT settings.

Cheers all

Darren

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
There's no reason why the modem shouldn't work as long as you know what settings to enter into it. Can you still access the Home Hubs settings ? It should be done via a browser but there might also be a CLI option

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's no reason why the modem shouldn't work as long as you know what settings to enter into it. Can you still access the Home Hubs settings ? It should be done via a browser but there might also be a CLI option
No, that's the problem. The laptop says it can't detect the Hub. Not sure what a CLI option is :)

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your suggestions everyone (greens all round). I tried Woz's suggestion, but it didn't work. So decided to bite the bullet, and ring the BT Broadband helpdesk. At this point I must swallow my pride and, despite my previous comments about BT customer service, I have to admit the guy i spoke to was excellent. Eventually he got to the diagnosis that although the laptop was being told to get a dynamic IP address, for some reason it wasn't. So he gave me a set of staic IP addresses to use to force the BT home hub and the laptop communicate Et voila - it works! Nice one BT - wish I'd rung sooner instead of spending 48hrs fiddling with it, thinking I could fix it myself :teeth:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts