YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Anybody got an instant cold cure, I feel pants and I'm supposed to be diving tomorrow.

Andrew

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

I'm sure youi'll know that diving with a cold is prety much no-no but you could try the following.

Take 2 berrocca tablets - loads of vit c and B12 keep well hydrated and hope.

Probably won't work but I've been fighting a cold that's been wanting to come on for about a week and it hasn't broken yet so it might work.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Yep as Gav says...  I drink huge amounts of Fresh Orange juice when I feel the sniffles coming on...

Daz

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Bit late now as I don't think much will work within 24 hours, but next time yuo feel it coming on try Echinacea tablets, can get them from most pharacists. I'm not usually much into 'alternative' medicines but this really does work and there's hard science to back it up (it stimulates production of interferons in your body).

I once dived when I had a bit of a cold coming on, never again though! A one week cold turned into a three week cold.

Chee-az
Steve

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

Got to agree with Steve W echinacea tablets seem to stop me getting colds [even though I have 2 small walking germ bags masquerading as kids]and when I do get one it doesn't take as long to get rid.

Better luck next time.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Steve W on 3:26 pm on Feb. 28, 2003
I'm not usually much into 'alternative' medicines ...
<span =''>
You got to be shitting me! I'd have thought you'd have recommended accupunture, reiki followed by wrapping yourself in seaweed!! ;)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

Drinking a lot of orage juice does not get you .. :unitaz:
What I do, I buy Halls Strong mints and eat as much as I can from the morning, to clear my nose and can equilise. As stated before better not to dive because if you get a reverse bloke you will be in trouble. In a case like this I do shallow no deco dives and normally feel better.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Do a shalow dive for about 30mins and come up and stick one fingure up your left nostral and blow through the right then reverse:

If your any thing like me this will result in about half of your brain cavity emptying on to the floor

Having cleared your sinus you can then go on to do the deep
dive  

Mark Chase

PS if you folow this advice you are an idiot

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Mark

I've done that one a few times, but there is nothing left in the brain cavity to blow out now.

I've also got 2 small germ/cold/Unameit magnets - no cure for them cos when they are i'll, not wanting to catch it dont go down too well at cuddle time.

l also used Zinc tablets a lot. works wonders and i've never missed a sea dive with a cold. Zinc tablets and sea air - top cure. Dont work to well for pool sessions.

Regards

Paul

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>BEECHAM POWDER CAPSULES,,,, take about 5  an hour before dive , and chain smoke for the whole hour,sit in ya drybag in a warm room,or a van

Always works for me ,,,

Andy

p.s ,,,,, it's only pain,

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Menthol Crystals in boiling water are good for a snot crisis,but the effects are worse than the cold.Less than a quid from a chemist,usually kept behind the counter.Slap a towel on your head and breathe in for about 15mins.You'll be blinded when you've finished mind.Don't drink out of the container you use either!
I once took "to many" Mucron things in a determined but somewhat flawed attempt to shift a blockage.It gave me very sudden Gandhi's,spuing and made me really light headed about an hour,hour and half after necking them.Horrible,sudden effect.Not recommended.
Hobby.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do a shalow dive for about 30mins and come up and stick one fingure up your left nostral and blow through the right then reverse:
By "reverse" do you mean after blowing through your right nostril, you should breathe in through it as well?

I suppose seawater might wash out your sinuses effectively..

So far, my best way of avoiding colds has been:
Start work in an air-conditioned office
Spend six months fighting off an unending chain of colds
Never catch cold again as your immune system is so incredibly resistant by now

·
Registered
599 Posts
Imported post

Whats a cold I have never had a cold in my life I just suffer from hay fever six months a year

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Oddly enough Nigel I suffer from food intolerance that behaves like hay fever and I have to my knowledge never had a cold, Flu (real, not one of those one day jobs) once, definitely didnt like that and dont want it again either.

So whack in the Beconase and dive cold free!

Matt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#3BB9FF'>I know a really good cold prevention (yeah I know it's not much help now:)....Drinking yogurt, like actimel, tastes disgusting but builds up your immune system. Only problem is you kinda have to have it everyday.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I never have a problem equalising, have dived with a cold many times without problems, but if I did have blocked sinuses and wanted to dive, I wouldn't hesitate to use a decongestant nasal spray or drops, e.g. Otrivne. I know it's contoversial but the fact is that all the common decongestants have a half-life of several hours, so if you use them a few minutes before starting a dive there should be absolutely no risk of the effect wearing off, causing reverse block, in my opinion. I'm a little more dubious about pseudoephedrine tablets, because of the very slight risk of central stimulating effects, but our transatlantic cousins seem to more or less live on them without any reports of harmful consequences as far as I know. The warnings against using decongestants seem to me to be based on an urban myth rather than solid documentation, but I may be wrong of course.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Imported post

Yogurts, alternative cures, acupuncture?   What a healthy bunch you are!  You'll be telling me next that you've given up bacon butties, pork pies and black puddin'.

Here's a sure fire cure (for just about anything) that I picked up in Siberia.  

Step 1
Take 100ml (4 pub singles) of ice cold vodka.

Step 2
Tip in a heaped teaspoon of freshly ground strong black pepper.  

Step 3
Stir briskly to get the pepper all swirly.

Step 4
Neck it down in one.

If the cold hasn't gone within about 10-15 minutes, repeat steps 1-4.

With enough treatment, this is guaranteed to either

a) cure the cold (or any other ailment)

or

b) make you forget about diving  (or anything else) for awhile

Once you have recovered (time for this is directly proportional to the number of treatments required), you will feel remarkably chipper.

I've put in a huge amount of personal research in to this method, at great expense to my wallet (and liver), and IT WORKS.

John

1 - 20 of 29 Posts