YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Founder of the S.F.T.D
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice. I have changed the plastic backpack on my Tekwing to a S/Steel one and rigged my own harness up. I'm going to use it with two independant steel 12's, which i was going to rig using a set of buddy twinning bands. However would i be better using a set of steel bands and bolting them to the backplate? Is there really any great advantage to using the steel bands?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
678 Posts
Buddy Bands vs Steel Bands

I've tried both ways. In fact i've probably tried every conceivable permutation of twinning up, much to the constant guffawing of my club members!:) :redface:

The buddy bands will let you twin up with virtually any cylinder and be fairly quick in letting you 'swap out' a cylinder.

For sheer robustness, if there's such a word, i've gone for s/steel twinning bands and tighten them up with a ratchet. Then they connect through into my OMS wing and backplate with the usual M8 threaded bar. They are rock solid and you can get the valves of both cylinders nice and square and in line with each other.

When you tighten up with buddy bands, or any regular webbing style cam band for that matter, the cylinders tend to twist a bit when tightening and you can get a 'wonky' cylinder. It might be a minor point, but i do like to do things rather neat.:embarasse

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,
Buddy bands should be fine for independent twins. I have used a similar set-up. Depending on the shape of your backplate you may not even need the blue plastic blocks that come with the buddy bands, I didn't.

It was a slight faff adjusting the cambands each time but was easier carrying for fills, as you can break it down and carry one cylinder at a time. Or dive them as singles. Steel bands are better for manifolded twins though.

Cheers, Phil

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Hi,

When I started using indie twins I bought a pair of the buddy bands and they were fine for what I wanted. The only problem I did have with them was that I found it difficult to get the cylinders to sit evenly about the central axis of the back plate.

I was then given some stainless bands by a good friend who visits here infrequently and began to use these instead. The cylinders now sit a lot more centrally on the plate and it's so much easier to set up quickly.

One thing to definitely consider is the potential for a manifold in the future - for that you will definitely need the steel bands.

HTH

Noel

·
Still trying to do the perfect 6m stop on High SP
228 Posts
Ok, this is not a thread hi-jack honest.

I got my first proper twinset, with stainless backplate, and Stainless bands for the cylinders some years ago.

I am just about to go off on a foreign holiday, and have bought myself an Ali backplate and single tank adapter. The theory being that I could use a twinset if one were available, or use my wing with a single tank.

This is all fine, except if a 'banded' twinset is not available then I am stuffed, for deeper diving.

So having remembered that somewhere I have some buddy twinning bands, how do I fit them onto a backplate ? From memory on the Plastic Buddy BC 'pack', there were four holes to allow you to thread the twinning bands through. On the backplates I have there are only 2.

So how do you do it chaps ? Or am I just deing thick ?

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Hi Bob,

It can be done. The best way is to take 4 stainless steel sliders with you. The best way to describe itwould be:

Strap through hole, into slider, through slider and back through hole. This will stop the cam band sliding back out of the hole.

HTH or indeed makes sense,

Noel

Reactions: BobK

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Need some advice. I have changed the plastic backpack on my Tekwing to a S/Steel one and rigged my own harness up. I'm going to use it with two independant steel 12's, which i was going to rig using a set of buddy twinning bands. However would i be better using a set of steel bands and bolting them to the backplate? Is there really any great advantage to using the steel bands?

Thanks in advance
As you will be using indies I would advise using the Buddy cam bands. S/S bands will tie your tanks together so you will have none of the advantages of indies in that you can swop out one empty tank for a full one for a good second dive. I use indies with a Buddy Tek, s/s plate and my own harness.
If you want to use manifolded twins then s/s bands would be better.

One set of Buddy bands tie the tanks to the backplate the other bands tie the two tanks together low down (not attached to backplate).

Matt

·
Founder of the S.F.T.D
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
okay, ended up buying s/steel bands and after much effing about have them fitted and set up. next step setting up the regs. I'll post pictures of what I've done so far. When running them as independent cylinders, should i have an oct on each tank as well as my main reg ? or just have an oct on 1 tank ?. Was also planning on having SPG running left and right so i know that my right hand SPG is right hand tank etc.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Thanks for that Noel.
Yep it makes sense. I had thought about that :embarassed:
but was not sure if it would work.

Just need to find all my buddy twinning kit now ! The last time I remember using it in anger ......................(a long time ago!!!!!!!)
It works fine for me. The s/s inserts were made by a mate to be a good fit.

Adrian

·
Founder of the S.F.T.D
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So been diving with a single 15L and 10kg, now with the twin 12's i was going to try starting with 4kg, do you think this is a good starting point?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
When running them as independent cylinders, should i have an oct on each tank as well as my main reg ?
i don't think there is a 'should', just what suits you and your diving. i have no octopi, just two 1st stages and two 2nd stages.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
should i have an oct on each tank as well as my main reg ? or just have an oct on 1 tank ?.
Comes down to what you believe about Keeping It Simple Stupid. With a single tank you have 2 sencond stages which is enough. With twins 2 second stages can also be enough . It makes it impossible to pick the wrong regulator when things go pear shaped. It prevents doubling the demand on a single first stage. It does require that gas requirments are carefully planned so you always have enough gas to get you or a buddy to the surface.

Was also planning on having SPG running left and right so i know that my right hand SPG is right hand tank etc.
That would be sensible, otherwise you will find it difficult to keep the gas balanced by swapping the cylinder you are breathing off every 50 to 70 bar.

So been diving with a single 15L and 10kg, now with the twin 12's i was going to try starting with 4kg, do you think this is a good starting point?
The answer is to do a decent buoyancy check at 6m with 30 bar in the cylinders. Twin 12s are surprisingly buoyant when they are empty...but so are single 15s.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
I run my indies with a single first/second stage per cylinder, spg on both. Left hand cylinder does my wing, rh does my suit, keeps my hose routing simple. (Cylinder left and right as you wear them or viewed from behind).
The argument about which reg will fail (when diving a manifolded set) doesnt hold as you have no manifold so task load each reg equally during the dive.

I had left and right hand valves put on my cylinders so I "can" do a shutdown if required, you never know the offending reg may come back on stream if you do a shutdown. Its nice not having to worry about the manifolded section though ;)

Weight check as MattS suggests but you may find that you start off with more lead than with a single/pony combo and then as you get familiar with the twins you end up with a lot less, it's a very personal thing as I am sure you know.

I have both my regs on long hoses, bungied, so if my buddy needs the one I am breathing he will get the long hose regardless of which one it is.
I clip off the reg I'm not breathing, tried a bungee necklace, didnt like it, too much faff, others find them OK though.

I swap at 50bar intervals and I always gas plan to have enough for both of us to get out on a single cylinder at any part of the dive, just in case. may be a bit over the top as my buddy(s) tend to also be on twins but better safe than sorry. This usually means I have one almost empty cylinder and one with 100 bar left after dive one so I take a third cylinder if doing two decent dives so as to be sure of enough gas, you will have to decant (the 15 will be usefull for that) if you need more gas for the second dive. The part full cylinder then acts as my "pony" and I dont usually swap regs on dive two.

HTH
Matt

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
I use Buddy Twinning bands when travelling and find they work a treat if you fit them properly with the tanks standing on a level surface.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts