YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

I've just come back to Sweden from the UK the proud owner of one of these – they are practically unknown here in Sweden. I intend to test it this evening but have not yet worked out a practical way of carrying it. I want to carry it ready to use, i.e. attached to my reel. I've seen Mark Chase's pictures of his neat set-up but I don't think it will work with my reel as it has an L-shaped handle and not a "whole" handle like Mark's. I carry my reel attached to a D-ring on my left hip. If I just clip the smb onto the bolt clip on my line, using the loop, it will hang well below my knee, owing to the length of the loop and the large size of the smb itself. The smb will just about fit into my drysuit carget pocket but it is a very tight fit and it would probably be difficult to take it out under water. Besides, I want to carry it ready to use if possible. Can anybody suggest a practical solution? I've considered bungeeing the whole thing into a package in some way but am hesitant to do anything that might make deployment harder.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Imported post

Can anyone supply a link to the photo John refers to above, I have the same problem in that I have to store the reel and buddy DSMB in different pockets. Cheers

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I tuck the loop into the SMB when I roll it up, which gets it out of the way. Then I put a double-ender on the velcro'd strap that keeps it rolled up, and clip it to my hip D-ring, along with my reel.
Because the clip is now attached to the middle of the SMB, it holds it securely in palce with no dangling at all.
Can take a pic later if needed..?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>This is what you want to try. DSMB stowing
I've used this for some time and it works a treat, not at all hard to deploy and nice and neat.
Cheers, Dave.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

Thanks, guys! I'm not sure whether Dom's or Big Dave's solution is going to win at the moment. Would appreciate a pic, Dom, as it sounds as though your method requires less "engineering" and I think the handle on my reel (at 90 degrees to that on Big Dave's pic) might make his method less suitable (the smb would be under the handle rather than beside it as in the pic).

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Ready for another dodgy art attack??? (Dom has alot to answer for!!)

How about something like this?  It would hold the SMB snug under the handle, with SMB already attached to reel, and would deply by just sliding the loop of the bungge off the open end of the handle.  An adaptation of the way I doo it with the closed handle and the bungee looped over the winder handle to stow the SMB.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How about something like this?  
Well, that's very detailed, but where would we find that many flying attack porcupines?

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

In the secret porcupine training camp???

I have no idea what you are on about, but I do suspect that you are dissing da art.

That could win a Turner Prize, dontcha know!

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

It is not neat or very streamlined but I have one of those "add on pockets" that bayonet clips to the bottom of my wing and a strap around the leg to keep it in place.

Reel and DSMB fit in there very snuggly.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lou @ Aug. 07 2003,11:34)]Ready for another dodgy art attack??? (Dom has alot to answer for!!)

How about something like this?  
Sorry - devil makes work for idle minds....

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>just some quick photos, I have a beaver reel and on the clip to fasten it to me I put a short quick release with a large clip at the other end (for two people to clip onto during stops) the only 3engineering i a piece of surgical rubber to fasten the DSMB to the reel . I hope it is clear from these photos.

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>and second one, i dont know if you can post two at the same time.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finless @ Aug. 07 2003,13:17)]It is not neat or very streamlined but I have one of those "add on pockets" that bayonet clips to the bottom of my wing and a strap around the leg to keep it in place.

Reel and DSMB fit in there very snuggly.
I've got one of those too. I hate it! It swings about all over the place.
PS Dom's solution is still favourite. Picture, Dom?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Okay, picture one, the loop is out of the way:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

And pic two, clipped and ready to go:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Imported post

It looks as though it should work fine, Dom. Thanks! I presume it is still quite possible to attach the line to the loop so the whole thing is ready for use after removing the smb strap from the double-ended bolt clip and unclipping the reel bolt clip?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Yup. The loop is tucked away to keep it from being a tangle hazard, but it's still accessible if you want it - you can even keep the reel attached to it the whole time if you like, so long as they're kept on the same D-ring...

It's the best way of carrying I've been able to come up with yet - tried the UKRS one, but it was too awkward.

If you find a better way, let me know

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Imported post

I'll try it this evening, with the reel kept attached and both on the same D-ring, as you say. I'll post a report tomorrow.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tom @ Aug. 07 2003,12:34)]Sorry - devil makes work for idle minds....
That is such a great idea...  Right I'm patenting it..

A reel that winds itself in automatically....  

Run Hammy, Run....

What do you reckon the max depth the hamster will be good for ?

Daz

(BTW,  Leg pouch, bayonet clip etc,  Reel and SMB shoved in)

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Aug. 07 2003,15:12)]Leg pouch, bayonet clip etc,  Reel and SMB shoved in
That's a hell of a lot to try and get inside one hamster!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts