YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Well, we as a club have just bought a whole load of BCDs, and what a nice change not to even contemplate dealing with a novice in an ABLJ again. Ever. Ever.

So, we've got these new Buddy Sport PDs. They feel dead good, usual buddy build-quality, and are pretty comfortable. They're going for a test dive on Wednesday, but so far they're looking like a good alternative to the Commando and Explorer and so on. And we paid £210 each. I know, we could have got a better deal, but time was of the essence.

Well, I'll be reporting back, but anyone tried one of these and got any input before I jump in with one of our brand spankers BCs? Other than, of course, the panels are the colour of vomit. I can see that.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Imported post

Right, it's been for its first outing (diving with John Duncan, great bloke and credit to YD). And it was good. Comfortable, secure, and I'd buy one. I would, except for £50 less I can get a TekWing.

They're kind of like the commando, but don't have the the shoulders that inflate which I find uncomfortable. In fact, all of the benefits of a commando, without the sack of potatoes feeling.

The colour has to change, though. It's awful! I suppose it's only a matter of time before the Buddy Sport TD comes out in technical black.

It's got less lift than most other Buddy jackets, but will do a 12 and pony happily I reckon. Or twin 7s.

All in all, we took a gamble, and it's paid off. Nice jackets, and well worth saving £50-£60 off the price of a commando. Definitely.

Only let down for me was a lack of D-rings in all the right places, but then it's not a technical jacket, it's for holiday and UK single tank divers. I haven't yet worked out what the D-rings at the front are for, but I'm sure they'll be useful at some point. Maybe.

If anyone's thinking about a BCD for holidays, I think you'll struggle to beat this jacket at this price for comfort, security and all-round bomb-proofness. Comes with a comfort pad inside which did make a difference. I've never bothered with one before, but it made the whole thing feel very soft against me, yet it wasn't moving anywhere.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts