YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

for the owners of a Buddy teck wings . what do you think of it ?? , does it work well with twin 7s . I looking into getting one for a twin 7 set. seems a good price ,as not got a large budget .
Fiona.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>i got one at the show. with 22.5kgs of lift it will have enough support. you can move the d-rings where ever you like, and the twinning bands hold the cylinders stable enough, although some would argue not perfect (they are the picky ones!). also its got a lifetime warranty, option of Auto Air, and/or mini cylinder. you could also use it with single cylinders should you wish

and, it is a good price!

Chris

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

The wing itself is great. The harness sucks eggs, as the webbing is so slippery it's impossible to adjust properly for any length of time. I used mine only until my Combro backplate arrived.

It's great for twin 7s, tho I didn't get on at all well with the camband system - if you can use bolts, then I'd advise you to do so.

The corrugate hose wouldn't look out of place on an elephant's face, but it's easy enough to chop that short. I found the pull-dump on the corrugated hose too bulky - it tried to occupy the same space as the twinset. I replaced it with a non-dumping elbow which was much better.

I had a try at putting a pull-dump cord on the right shoulder drump, but it had a tendency to jam either closed or (worse) open. The bum-dump, I find, is rarely in a position to dump a worthwhile amount of air.

The D-rings on the side of the wing didn't add any value, so I removed them. Same goes for those triglides the waist strap is threaded thru, tho they might prove useful if you use it with a single tank.

Gosh, sounds very doom & gloom, doesn't it? I'll re-iterate that it's a great wing and I'm very happy with it. It just needs a bit of adapting

My basic advice would have to be: Unless (like me) you want a nice red wing instead of a boring black one, forget the Tekwing and buy a Redwing and Combro steel plate. Get them to supply it with a non-dumping elbow on the corrugated hose, ditch the D-rings on the sides of the wing, put the hose on the left side if you bought the Redwing, and voila, you'll have a very tough wing, idea for twin 7s, at a very low cost.

You'll have to get used to dumping via the hose instead of by a pull-dump, which is a pity, but that's wings for you.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Fiona
I got one off e-bay a few weeks ago - love it, beautifully built.
Currently using a 12 & pony, plenty of lift. Dom uses one and has twin 7's (232) but has modified it quite heavily, s/s b/p plus new harness etc.

Difficult to swap quickly between single and twin tanks but otherwise seems very good. Alternative cam bands are about £40 I believe, sometimes available on e-bay too, I'm selling my single tank ones as I have bought the piggy back pony bands recently.

Recently described as 'do you want to go from a to b in a car or a tank', the tek-wing (and Buddy in general) are regarded as tanks. That'll do for me.

HTH
Matt

ps Dom got in first  

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

I've had mine for nearly two years now - love it, although, like Dom, I have modified mine to go with my twin 12's by getting rid of the ABS backplate and harness and replaced them with a s/s backplate and harness and the twins are bolted tthrough these with s/s bands and bolts.  I paid £180 for mine (with twin cam bands/without emergency bottle) but have been told it can be bought for as little as £150 - definitely shop around for the best price if you decide to go for one.
Regards, and dive safe
Martin

·
Registered
115 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>you'll not get one less than £150, thats below trade price...

i must admit that when i can afford ill upgrade to s/s backplate, banded and bolted twinset but im happy borrowing school cylinders for now.

i got the emergency cylinder for diving with single 15ltr and pony, the good old saying 'you can never have too much gas'. diving with twins i use the blanking plate

the 2 below are AP200, no cylinder, twin bands

www.kentdiving.com - £184 inc P&P

www.sdswatersports.co.uk - £175 (not sure on P&P)

chris

·
The Voice of his (De)generation
1,418 Posts
Imported post

One of my mates dives the buddy redwing with twin 12ltrs and 7ltr stages and has no problems - although like the others above he has adapted his a fair bit - ss backplate, DIR type harness etc etc - he loves his and as with all buddy stuff you could blow the sodding thing up and it would survive - tough as you can get - the forces use a version of the commando I believe so thats how tough it is.  I would use one quite happily and after all they are quite cheap by comparsion.
Dinger

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Ehh... that's the Redwing, Drifty, not the Tek!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>It's been a long day Dommie......

Blame Gav for forcing me to drink Leaping Frogs last night....

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Imported post

I use mine with twin 10s and 7L stage and its been no problem at all. I've used this set up down to 56m.

Up to now it has been 'unmodified', i.e. plastic backpack and buddy harness but I'm about to put a SS backplate and DIR-like (DIS?) harness on it.

When I asked AP valves about buying some eyelets so that I could put the holes though for the band screws they just said, no we wont sell you them but were happy to give them to you.

Customer support and service is one of their strong points and was one of my reasons for going with them.

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts