YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking at buying the buddy tekwing to dive independent 12s. I plan on getting a manifolded twin set bit this would not be for at least three years. I was wondering if people think it a good intermediate step between a BCD and a wing?

Adam

·
bulging sweaty dirty putrescent member
1,331 Posts
Hi Adam,

welcome to YD. Your choice of kit should really be dictated by what diving you intend to do.

My advice would be "Buy Once"

So look around at what kit people use that do the type of diving that you want to do and discuss their choices with them. Divers are generally a friendly chatty bunch and each one of them will have a strong viewpoint on their personal choice of equipment.

HTH

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
I have been diving the buddy tekwing for years, it's bulletproof and brilliant, it has plenty of lift for twins or singles, isn't too big that it wraps like a flag round singles. I swapped mine onto a steel backplate but the wing still works well. I use the old ABS backplate only when I'm travelling when it really comes into it's own as it is so light.
I also have BCDs and big double bladder wings depending on what diving I'm doing but the vast majority of the time I use my old, faded and extremely functional tekwing as kit of choice.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Don't do it.
Buy a proper wing and backplate. I recommend custom divers as you can "buddy band" as well as steel bands on their wing and backplates. I had a tekwing then moved onto custom divers and wont look back. I dive manifiolded twins in UK and buddy band on holiday (aluminium backplate).
Regards

·
All we wanted was a home... Manics
4,553 Posts
Similar waistcoat wing/bc is the buddy trident. I have had one 10 yrs - still looks new!! (and it gets dived alot!)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Ill bring my buddy bands down on wednesday, try them out with one of the commandos and see how you find it. If youre happy with it you can use them all summer as i have no need for them. I would recommend trying out a proper wing and backplate too. Having dived both a ss backplate and wing feels a lot more stable but then i managed fine diving indies off a commando so you might be happy with it too.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You can open the wing using the zip around the inner edge of the tekwing to get at the bladder (I think). If the bladders not repairable give AP valves a call - they do spares at decent prices anyway.

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
I have both a Tekwing and a Trimix (before they changed its name to Trident). Both are bullet-proof. Bot can be used with Buddy Twinning Bands and Blocks. Both are a little on the heavy side when it comes to packing but I used both on two trips to Truk this year, for example. My wife likes the Trimix for the handbag at the front!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had a small hole in my Tekwing from pinching the bladder between the tank and the floor, I phoned AP Valves, and they recommended Tear Aid to fix it, it works really well as it is stretchy and sticks! A.P.Diving Direct

Charlie

I just got back from Porthkerris and the bladder is spewing out air through the netting next to the kidney valve. How can I get to the bladder to find and repair the puncture? I really like my tekwing and would hate to have to start again because of something as minor as a puncture

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I had a small hole in my Tekwing from pinching the bladder between the tank and the floor, I phoned AP Valves, and they recommended Tear Aid to fix it, it works really well as it is stretchy and sticks! A.P.Diving Direct

Charlie

Thanks for the tip. Tear Aid ordered. I still need to get at the bladder to repair it though.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2
Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just double checked mine for you, and I was right - on the back of the wing (bottle side), there is a zip that runs around the inner edge of the wing - when you unzip this it opens to let you get at the bladder.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts