YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Hi

I was thinking about getting a buddy tekwing to use with twin 12s, a single 15 and perhaps twin 7s if the mood ever takes me.

I'd like to know if these wings are any good for twinset diving, or would i be better off buying a backplate and a wing and doing it properly?

Thanks.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

i had a tekwing for ages and they are really good.  very versatiule.  twins, singles etc no problem.  i used it with twin 12's on a ss backplate and reverted back to the buddy plastic plate for singles no problem at all.  and theyre tough as old boots!  get one.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

I bought one last year, and find it really comfortable and easy to use. I've even kept the ABS backplate and use s/s bands for my twin 12s. May well change to a s/s backplate at a later date, but for now, it means that when I take it on holiday, all I have to do is unbolt the bands, and pop on a single cam band and hey-presto - back to a single.
Agree with andy2tanx - get one! FYI got mine for £180 from Divers Warehouse (without emergency cylinder - add £30 if you want this included) which comes with twin cam bands - again, cheaper if you only want the single cam band).
Good luck, and dive safe
Martin

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

*snigger* £180? I only paid £150...
Used it briefly with the ABS plate, but it pissed me off no end as the webbing kept sliding about on it. Replaced it, and now have no problems.
Typically high-quality AP Valves product, without the silly prices some other manufacturers are charging. And it's a nice red colour too...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys.

Now before i go speeding off to the local internet dive store of choice, how do you attach metal twinning bands to the buddy backplate? Does it have holes in the right places, do do you need to get handy with a black & decker?

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

black n decker it.  there are marks on the plastic where to drill, no problemo!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

Gaz
Did this myself recently, so am all clued up (well, maybe all is a bit of an exaggeration!)

On the ABS plate, there are two circles which are indented from the rest of the plate - these are where you drill. Once you've done this, you need to make holes in the material section. I bought some brass ringlets and made the holes to fit the ringlets so that there would be no fraying. If you are using s/s bands, the holes in the backplate wil have to be large enough to take the bolts, or in the case of the CD bolt set, the mushroom heads. I did check with AP Valves before fitting mine that the backplate was strong enough and me drilling holes didn't invalidate it's warranty and they said yes to both.
Like with DIY - mark twice, drill once - not vice versa!
And drill slow!
If you don't use ringlets you can burn the edge of the holes (in the material) with a soldering iron/hot knife to stop it from fraying as well, but I bought 50 ringlets with punch to set them for £2.50 from my local hardare store, so not too expensive to make it that much tidier.
HTH
Martin

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

I'll back up what's already been said, and just to say that I beat the lt of you - £140.

I don't know about big twins with the ABS plate. I don't think I'd trust mine with more than twin 10s that way. There's a whole lot of pressure on a small area of quite thin plastic.

If you've got s/s bands, you might as well get a nigel plate and a redwing. It would probably work out at about the same price. Then again, you won't get the sexy orange flashes on either side.

Hope this helps.

Another satisfied Tekwing owner.

·
To much kit NEVER
157 Posts
my dad has just stopped diving he bought a tek wing with weight pouches only done 4 dives he wants to sell , pm me if interested

1 - 12 of 12 Posts