YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Not wishing to stir up a hornets nest but how do you do it?
Typically in warm water diving along a reef. The ideal would be side by side, but the intside buddy gets a restricted view. Ok if you turn round at 100 Bar and come back then yes you should then be on the inside, but what about a drift dive or off a RIB? Do you change at a set time or what?
Yes one of my pet hates is to find my buddy above and behind me. You can never find them but they have a good view of you if you are in trouble, and can provide rapid assistance, but god help them if they have a problem unless you have wing mirrors fitted.  Well how?

·
Liberal Lefty
1,694 Posts
Imported post

Haven't done much warm water diving so I can't say.  In the UK generally my preferred position is back and to the side, within grabbing distance, so that my head is level with their knee.  I can see if they're in trouble and if I'm in trouble I can grab their fins or leg

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Buddy............ whats one of them ?

dive solo,dive safe

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ Feb. 26 2004,21:40)]dive solo,dive safe
Not exactly best practise but each to their own? (Dont' even think about it if your new!!)

I think it depends on how confidant/comfortable each diver is with the situation, you should respect each others feelings on this one. I am quite happy to be a few meters apart but this changes depending on buddy and conditions, lower the vis and the experiance of the buddy and I would want them close.

James  

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Next to me, level with me.

So we can see each others eyes, can tap each other, and so we only have to move our heads a little bit to see each other.

Same depth so we have the same profile.

I hate buddies Behind or above me. Behind is necessary sometimes but then catch up, nothing worse than constantly worrying about putting a fin in their face.

Above you can never see them, above and behind is a  total nightmare.

A good position just makes the dive so much better and enjoyable for both, which also helps consumption rate a lot.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

side by side definately... so that you can just glance across and see they are ok. My darling son always tries to dive in my blind spot and love watching me turn somersaults trying to see where  the hell he is. funny for him but a pain in the butt for moi.

My fave buddy used to always be exactly where i thought he was, well within viz and just a glance away so we could both if each other had seen something really good.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (colinpjenkins @ Feb. 26 2004,14:13)]Typically in warm water diving along a reef. The ideal would be side by side, but the intside buddy gets a restricted view. Ok if you turn round at 100 Bar and come back then yes you should then be on the inside, but what about a drift dive or off a RIB? Do you change at a set time or what?
On a recent trip to Sharm I was faced with the same problem my buddy for that dive wanted to stay side-by-side and said pre- dive that he would always be on my left side(an experienced diver) but when we descended the reef was on the left with nothing to see on the right, and I certainly wasn't going to waste half of the dive just because of his insecurities so I did my own thing but also kept a watchful eye on him. When we ascended he had a go at me, but hey I didn't travel all the way to Egypt to see nothing!
I think in warm waters where the visibility is usually very good it is not so important to stay so close to your buddy.  
Although I am a little biased and enjoy frequent solo diving and I really hate buddy lines!
Personally I think buddies are necessary for less experienced diver's, wreck penetration , unfamiliar diving and deep diving.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Well it is one of my pet hates.

In general I prefer side by side.

However there are a select few buddies where we would both agree, "Somewhere in the same ocean"  

Sorry I know it's not the done thing but hey, you asked, I answered, it's late and I've got my asbestos pants on.

Daz

·
The Artist known formerly as 'ScubaRGN2'
386 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I prefer side by side too, share the experience.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>This can be a source of massive irritation for me! I like to have my buddy within my periferal vision all the time and every time I dive with someone new I tell them to dive alongside me on my right hand side and level with me.

Yet time and again I find that buddy just behind me. Great for them - they've got me in full view all the time! But my dive is ruined because I see nothing because I'm constantly looking behind me all the time to check that my buddy is still there and okay. So I stop and signal them to catch up, which they do, and then I set off again and they lag behind!

Look, it's not hard!  

My best dives are with my oldest buddy, Alison. She's great. She sticks with me like glue - I always know exactly where she is and never have to look for her. I always enjoy my dives with her.

So, if any of you are buddied with me in the future, you know where you need to be!

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Davies @ Feb. 27 2004,07:39)]....So, if any of you are buddied with me in the future, you know where you need to be!
Yep,  20 metres behind, camera in hand staring intently at a patch of coral.  

I guess when you're buddying a non-photographer thats all easy, but get a man with a camera and you no longer have a buddy - you have a photographer and model.

Ok, if my buddy is newly qual'd then I want them alongside me (or should that be the other way around).  If I'm happy with the buddy then, y'know, where-ever.  

Actually I find that I am a very slow finner, prefering to take things really eeeeaasssyyy on a dive (even without the camera) - most of the buddies I've dived with like to go a little faster so I tend to end up being left behind a little (sometimes a lot) so the side by side thing invariably doesn't happen.

EDIT: In poor viz you make the bloody effort and stay close.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Imported post

Not a great fan of buddies myself and 99% of the time I dive solo but if I am diving with a buddy I like to be at the back and just to let them lead so if something goes wrong with my buddy I can see it. Being a solo diver I plan on being able to sort out my own problems  so its not a problem for me if my buddy doen't have me in their field of view.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Timing @ Feb. 27 2004,07:56)]Yep,  20 metres behind, camera in hand staring intently at a patch of coral.  
<font color='#000080'>Just about sums it up!

Oddly, Tim, I wasn't actually thinking about you when I wrote my last post - it's dangerous complacency, I know, but it always seems less important in warm water and massive viz.

But whatever the conditions you should always be near enough to pass over an AAS as soon as it's needed. Being 20m away you can swim back to your buddy fairly quickly and in clear water won't have any trouble finding them, you think, so are tempted to drift apart. I'm not sure just how good an idea that is.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (colinpjenkins @ Feb. 26 2004,14:13)]Not wishing to stir up a hornets nest but how do you do it?
Typically in warm water diving along a reef. The ideal would be side by side, but the intside buddy gets a restricted view. Ok if you turn round at 100 Bar and come back then yes you should then be on the inside, but what about a drift dive or off a RIB? Do you change at a set time or what?
Yes one of my pet hates is to find my buddy above and behind me. You can never find them but they have a good view of you if you are in trouble, and can provide rapid assistance, but god help them if they have a problem unless you have wing mirrors fitted.  Well how?
<font color='#000080'>>Yes one of my pet hates is to find my buddy above and >behind me.

and your air consumption goes up each time you have to do a 360 degree turn to locate the buggers who are now 4metres above you not noticing they have a buoyancy problem coz theyre busy taking photos. ;-D

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Side by side, distance varied by viz. In practise they can be all over the place - divers ballett  

My best buddy by far is my wife, we both think alike and we can read each other well. With buddies I don't know I condier it as solo diving, hence the importance of AAS. In tropics the distance can be too great on an out of air situation.

It's my Mrs Birthday today and as a present I'm getting her a ticket to Gozo to do a Rescue DIver Course after Easter. Due to work I can't go
 Can't wait to see her face when I tell her - I was going to give her a logbook stamp but it's not quite the same, is it?

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Davies @ Feb. 27 2004,07:39)]Yet time and again I find that buddy just behind me. Great for them - they've got me in full view all the time! But my dive is ruined because I see nothing because I'm constantly looking behind me all the time to check that my buddy is still there and okay. So I stop and signal them to catch up, which they do, and then I set off again and they lag behind!

Look, it's not hard!  
Mark,

You of all people should be able to resolve this problem very easily.

Just make use of a nice set of those bracelets you have at your disposal  

I'll expand on my last post,  I personally prefer a buddy to be to the side of me so I can catch sight of them easily.  

But I am equally happy just slightly behind them so I can keep an eye on them if that is OK with them and I accept that they do not need to keep checking on me.

There are a few people who I dive where we are slightly more relaxed on where we are relative to each other and this depends entirely on where, when and the conditions of the dive.

Bottom line,  Agree with your buddy before hand what you are comfortable with and what they are comfortable with.  Agree that you can amend the procedure if poor conditions dictate (ie. poor vis, stick closer together) and if necessary reinforce this in water.

If you cannot agree a style that suits you both, then don't do the dive and don't be pressured into using buddy procedures you are uncomfortable with.

I use a video so can be accused of not being the most attentive buddy (when I've got it with me) and all photographers and videographers need to give this serious consideration and ensure their buddy is aware of the implications.

When I dive with my wife and video camera, she sticks very close, if I stop to film anything she is normally no more than an arms length away so she can get my attention if need be or render assistance if required.

If you want my number one tip,  don't buddy with a photographer or videographer if you want a really attentive buddy  

For the record if anyone ever dives with me and I have my videocamera.  I am always happy to stow the camera without any recrimination or hard feeling if it makes you more comfortable.  

Daz

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Adam prefers above and to one side of me, I hate it, I'd prefer side by side but he feels more comfortable that way as he knows exactly where I am if he needs me. Except of course I spend most of my time twizzling like an idiot making sure he's still there every 10 seconds. Difficult though if you are constantly changing buddies.

Where both of you are using kit you've dived in for ages and are comfortable I suppose it can be a bit like same ocean same time, but side by side does it for me.

Matt

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (colinpjenkins @ Feb. 26 2004,14:13)]Typically in warm water diving along a reef. The ideal would be side by side, but the intside buddy gets a restricted view. Ok if you turn round at 100 Bar and come back then yes you should then be on the inside, but what about a drift dive or off a RIB? Do you change at a set time or what?
I'd say it all depends on the dive type and conditions. On reef dive my buddy and me stay within about 5 meters of each other, poking our heads in to holes in the reef and looking for things. We have an understanding that we inform each other when we reach 100 bar and 50 bar but also bug each other during the dive to check each others tank pressure.

In low viz we stay pretty much side by side as the water tends to be colder (more chance of free flows) and the chance of loosing each other is better.

On deco dives then we both have an understanding that we stick together on the dive and do our own thing on stops; we may end up on different schedules and have enough backup and experiance to deal with equipment failures.

Its not a perfect scheme but it works pretty well and the times we hardly ever get parted.  

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

So Daz,  when do we get to see some of this video stuff you've been doing.  Just the underwater stuff will be ok thanks, not interested in any of the 'private' stuff

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Imported post

Much depends on who, why and where I'm diving.
If I am instructing then side by side whilst swimming, prefer buddy on my left, face to face when stopped.

If with my regular buddy, somewhere I can see him without moving my body over much!

If I'm taking my usual really bad, why did I bother, where's my lump hammer (oopppss! not allowed it any more...) photo's - buddy can be anywhere as long as he is not between camera and subject!

If in low viz side by side - possible buddy line.

If I'm drifting along the reef as long as my buddy is within a reasonable distance 5 - 10m then ok. We both get to see the reef. If side by side - it gets very frustrating for the outsider.

In excellent viz (30m+).. I've always found that the limit of visibility is a great place to observe your buddy drown!

Be flexible about it. No real tablets of stone, adapt to suit the situation. Enjoy the dive.

Be safe, be good!
Paul  

1 - 20 of 26 Posts