YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

How cheaply can I get an underwater digital video set-up?
I'm not intereated in competition-quality kit, just acceptable footing down to about 30 metres for survey etc. I know digital video camera's are getting cheaper but are there any cheap housings?
Thanks, Jason

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Budget Video.....  (Sorry but those 2 words just do not go together  
)

Best advice,  look at the housings Ikelite, Birchley Products...  http://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk.  Find a cheap housing and see what camera(s) will fit.

Avoid Gates, Lights and Motion etc...  (Great housings but you did say budget  
)

Also keep an eye open on the boards,  I have seen a few setups for sale.

Daz

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

A lot of digital stills cameras can do a short burst of video, might be worth checking if a 'cheap' still camera + housing would be good enough rather than going for a full on video.
Mate of mine took a video shot on a still camera in Stoney, looked pretty reasonable quality.

Matt

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ May 20 2003,17:00)]Also keep an eye open on the boards,  I have seen a few setups for sale.

Daz
http://www.yorkshire-divers.co.uk/cgi-bin....;t=2592

Well just goes to prove my point, don't think it is digital though.  £750 is not out of the way for a budget setup.  Sony are very reasonable and when you consider that a newish Sony digital video and very good housing starts costing in the region of £3000.....

If you do buy second hand try it out on out of the housing, in the housing and also I would recommend that you request if possible buddying up with the current owner to see how they use it in water and make sure it does not leak.

Other than that make sure you are completely happy with how it all seals, maintenance and also check out availability of spares (O-Rings etc...).  

One final point,  non custom housings that will fit a number of cameras (some with minor mods) tend to be a bit larger but if it does ever flood it will give you more choice on a suitable replacement video.

Custom housings built for only one type of camera although generally smaller do have the disadvantage that if the camera gous TU and it is no longer current,  you may not be able to get a replacement.

Daz.

For Info :- I have insured my camera with Westfield along with my kit and I have specified that in the event of the camera being written off and no replacement being readily available then the housing will also be replaced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts