YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my diver training I picked up two bits of common sense / good practise (well probably more, but 2 relevant to this question).

1. Don't start the season with a deep dive: start shallow to get reacquainted with kit then work up to deeper dives.

2. Before a "deep" dive build up with a series of incrementally deeper dives (say 5m deeper each time) in the weekends before a deep dive

All sounds sensible. So supposing you've dived loads this year and spent a fair bit of time deeper than 30m but you have not been deeper than 17m for 3 months and in a couple of weeks you've got a 32m no stop dive coming up. Would you try and get a 25m dive in the week beofore as a "build up dive" or would you be content that you are happy with your kit and take it in your stride?

Mike

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
It would be a judgement call, depending on conditions/task loading etc. however all things being equal and if I had dived a fair bit this year and was comfortable with my kit I would be happy to do the 32 meter dive although if the opportunity was there for a 20 m + dive first I would take it.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Diving is diving. Either you are 'dived up' or you are not. Depth doesn't really have anything to do with it. If I hadn't been in the water for a while I'd want to check my gear out before committing to a deep dive or significant distance or deco. If the gear works at 6 meters and my skills are still up to par then I'm good to go.

I haven't dived below 20 meters this year (although that did include some 5 hour cave dives so pretty significant on distance). I'll be diving the RB on a 50 meter UK dive next week so checked it (and my own skills) out inland a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
During my diver training I picked up two bits of common sense / good practise (well probably more, but 2 relevant to this question).

1. Don't start the season with a deep dive: start shallow to get reacquainted with kit then work up to deeper dives.

2. Before a "deep" dive build up with a series of incrementally deeper dives (say 5m deeper each time) in the weekends before a deep dive

All sounds sensible. So supposing you've dived loads this year and spent a fair bit of time deeper than 30m but you have not been deeper than 17m for 3 months and in a couple of weeks you've got a 32m no stop dive coming up. Would you try and get a 25m dive in the week beofore as a "build up dive" or would you be content that you are happy with your kit and take it in your stride?

Mike
If it was me and I was happy with my skills and feeling nice and dived up I'd go for it but only you know what you are happy with.

Me I like to build up to anything deeper than 30m and or with deco by doing a dive that is less than 30m in the sea to make sure I remember what salt is like first. This is just a personal preference thing though.

I was wondering about this yesterday, the increments in your OP sound sensible and like what I was taught but when I am an uber hard teckie what kind of dives will I want to do first before a 50m dive? A 30m deco dive in the sea at least I would've thought. Maybe just a skills and equipment brush up in a quarry. Who says what is sensible? Maybe the incremenets go up to 10m or something.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Last weekend I got in the water for the first time since December, OK not challenging but we did get to about 18m. If I had been concerned maybe I should have only gone to 6m, but I wasn't and I don't think my buddies were either. Last year I did a 30m sea dive having only done a few shallow fresh water dives which probably wasn't the best preparation. So as long as you are happy with your skills and kit I would be happy with the 17m dive you did.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for all the tips. It's standard practice in my club to do a full kit check in the pool at the start of the season, then a reasonably shallow dive before any deeper diving. I was diving at the end of October, then again at the beginning of January so I didn't have much of a winter break. I've managed to get a few dives in at Cromhall quarry (17m) so I considered my self good to go for the trip to Salcombe the week after next. Right up to the point one of the guys on the trip asked what I was doing for build up dives. He was down at 30m a couple of weeks ago so I was surprised he wanted a build up then I though I'd better ask around rather than risk being over bullish.
I'll be diving next weekend (the weekend before the trip) but I'll be helping out an instructor with some training so if I want to get deeper than 20m it might mess up the schedule.

Mike

·
Registered
24,810 Posts

Mike
personally, i'd be happy tojump in and do the dive, but then, I've dived throughout the winter, not always in the sea, and not always more than one or two dives a month, but I have made no significant changes to my kit since this time last year, and have spent a reasonalby long time diving below 30m.

I *know* my kit works, I know what I am like at 30m.

But just cos i would do it, doesn't mean it is right for everyone else :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.