YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK [SIZE=+2]Thou odiferous malmsey-nosed varlots! [/SIZE]I need your help (I don't know why I like Shakespear's insults so much? I don't understand half of them). :)

Anyhow, to my question, does anyone know if the recent public rebellion over bank charges also involved building societies? Mine, the Yorkshire BS, has just charged £30 for sending a letter over account problems and it's really pissed me off. I phoned up and ended up slamming the phone down with threats (to be put into action) about closing my account!!! I can be in immense debt with someone else!

I wonder if I move from YBS my love affair with YD will also wane?

Anyway, I'd like to thank Thou lumpish flap-mouthed measle! for your advice and comments!

That Shakespeare, he must have been a 'hoot' on a night out with the lads? :)

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In short, yes.

The issue is to do with disproportionate charges being levied for the amount of additional work carried (doesn't need to be a bank - could be a plumber!).
Wow, I didn't know the YBS did plumbers! What a world we live in! :teeth:

That would explain why the woman on the phone started trying justify the charge ........... included speaking to her .......... who I didn't even ask or want to speak to in the first place!

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Even the £12 can be disputed - you can still make a complaint if you feel that the charge is disporportionate.

Most bank systems are automated so the actual cost is less than £2 for a problem to be identified, a automatic letter printed, franked and posted out. In this case, £12 would be unfair as it did not reflect the cost to the bank / b soc / c card company.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Dont!

Pay off what you owe, then leave just over £100 in the account.

This is the marker if they convert, under that you get nowt, over and you
could get £1k. Worth leaving it in just in case.

T.

PS: Err. Doesnt work if yours has already converted :rolleyes:

·
Team Starburst
865 Posts
whilst i subscribe to the belief they're all as bad as each other,

we generally find the Nationwide to be the best of the bunch. They have a good on-line banking system which allows me to easily see how overdrawn i am

they really gain when you go abroad as you can use your cashpoint/debit card just about everywhere and the exchange rate vastly exceeds those offered elswhere as they add my measly $200 onto their massive international clearings so i get their rate and no charges

the call centers are in Swindon Wiltshire [which is almost in the UK]

dave

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The YBS, thus far, has been pretty good and it is a motgage account so there can be no money to leave behind.

The thing that really got me irritated was the snotty bitch in the collections dept. Doing her job I suppose but telling me that talking to her was costing money when their staff transferred me. Also, I expect most admin costs to part of the profit they are making from the loan.

Anyway, I'm upset! I need to sort something out, I think my Endowment which is nothing to do with YBS is £25k down on a £42 loan ............. I was hoping it would improve but ............... I need to get something done. I hate doing this kind of stuff ............. I mean, how do know which bloody offer is any good? :(

I am a bloody long way from being gruntled!! (read the sig)! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.