YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I use only my drysuit for buoyancy control in UK waters - why ? - I was taught this way.

What do you use if wearing both BCD and drysuit ??

· Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>i use drysuit only too. although i was taught to use bcd i find it much better just using d/suit. i look upon my bcd as an emergency item which is there to give me lift/breathing air in case i need it  

· Registered
2,828 Posts
Imported post

Actually, Fi, you're the one being DIR - until you mention the "jacket" part, anyway

I de-squeeze the suit and put all the rest in the wing. Makes buoyancy control so easy - autodump wide open the whole time and ignore the suit, everything else in the wing.

· Registered
541 Posts
Imported post

Dom,

As im collecting my new drysuit tomorrow (Gates CBX-450. No more diving in a semi-dry!
) ive been asking around for peoples opinions in my club and thats what most people have said.

Seems to me the most simple way too.  Already used to controlling bouyancy with my BCD anyway.

James

· Registered
918 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (FionaB @ May 22 2003,20:29)]Probably not very Dir, but I put enough air in the suit to take off the squeeze then use the jacket.  
That's VERY DIR actually  
Apart from 'the jacket' which is not very DIR at all I'm afraid. A wing on the otherhand could be.  

Mark.

PS. Wing - in answer to the original question.

· That's Members Representative to you!
2,303 Posts
Imported post

i've been wondering about this too... i've been taught to use suit - which has been ok up to now as I have a weezle and the combination keeps me lovely and warm! the downside is I can get a degree of migration sometimes, and sticking head down i sometimes feel on edge of an inversion... So i've been thinking of trying to use bcd instead... someone should set up one of those votey button thingies (technical term) to see what the consensus is!!!?

· Registered
918 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Justin,

your weezle won't keep you very/as warm if you don't add all that gas to keep it 'lofty'. A quality type B Thinsulate undersuit is the best option, as it's thermal properties are unaffected by compression (gas only needed for squeeze/comfort). Type B thinsulate is what is used in boots BTW. These suits are normally at least £200+ but O'Three make an excellent type C thinsulate which is only about £150 (I have one and it's very good/warm).

You will find that by switiching from 'suit' to 'bc' you will need less weight and you will be far less prone to buoyancy problems like inversion/air migration. A set of heavy fins can help a lot with the floaty feet (no ankle weights required either).

Mark.

· Registered
2,308 Posts
Imported post

It depends on what cylinder(s) you use. I think most of the answers above assume you're using a heavy twinset. If you use a single and pony, just enough air in your suit to prevent sqeeze will make you neutrally buoyant, unless you are overweighted. You won't need any air in your BC/wings. If you DO put air in your wings, you'll either have to dive with your suit squeezed or wear more lead.

· Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,268 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF00FF'>I was taught to use my suit and have no air in my bcd. I tend to add air to my suit when I feel shrink wrapped and this also seems to result in my bouyancy being right. Either that or bouyancy control has just become a reflex, it never seems to be a problem.

I use a single 12 litre. I often worry about floaty feet (but havent ever  really had a problem) and have often wondered if using more air in my bcd would keep me more the right way up but then as I ascend I would have to dump air from both suit and BCD.  Is there a definitive correct way or is it just what suits you (sir)?

Always willing to learn...
jules

· Registered
918 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Julia C @ May 22 2003,23:46)] Is there a definitive correct way or is it just what suits you (sir)?
If you consider that a BCD's primary design function is to effectively/precisely control ones buoyancy and that a dry suit’s primary purpose is to provide thermal protection, it's obvious that one is far better suited to the job than the other.

But, the definitive and correct way to me may not be applicable to (as John Gulliver mentioned) a diver in a single tank who becomes neutrally buoyant just by adding enough gas to their suit to remove squeeze. I would imagine that at depth the bloaty suit becomes quite hard to handle - never tried it. I'll try diving a single sometime (just for research purposes) and post my findings.

This becomes a lot more 'definitive' when diving twins.

Regards,

Mark  

· Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,268 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF00FF'>I think that is it. When I put enough air in to remove the shrink wrap my bouyancy is about right. I think I wouldnt end up putting much in my bcd anyhow, my suit is never blown up, just sort of not squeezing.
If I wanted to put a lot of air in my bcd I would be too bouyant so would need more lead. I use 8kg now and it works fine for me.
just wondered. will never dive with a twinset, couldn't lift it!
jules

· That's Members Representative to you!
2,303 Posts
Imported post

John/Mark

Regarding relieving suit squeeze and then being neutrally buoyant... Now i'm probably too heavy (being relatively inexperienced), but i need a fair amount of air in my suit to get neutral, which while it keeps me warm ;) can lead to some air migration, esp when swimming downwards!

I'm carrying 12kg (!!) (5'8" 11.5st) which i know sounds alot, but even with that I found myself gently pulling myself down the anchor line of the rib a few weeks back...!! Again - probably down to my inexperience, as i'm fine on the bottom but then need a a reasonable amount of air in the suit to get neutral...

Guess practice will eventually make perfect!?

· Registered
1,942 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Hi Justin
I think your need of 12k lead is, as you say you are relativly inexpireanced.
As you progress you will find that you will need less lead and this wil make your diving more comfortable.
The main reason in my expiriance is all to do with relaxing and beathing properly.
When you are about to decend exhale the air fully from your lungs this will start you decending very easely, by the time you take your first breath you will be down a tleast 1m. Once down this far you will need to add air to slow your decent rate.
When you have got used to this and breating steadily on the dive, you will be able to reduce your lead.
The very minimum lead you will need is not dependant on your decent but on the minimum you need to do a safety stop at the end of a dive with empty cylinder(s).
Hope this helps.
wacker

· Registered
1,084 Posts
Imported post

I use both, suit to take off the squeeze, get that envelope of air for the weezle( sort out the autodump). Use the BCD/wing to trim bouyancy for the rest of the dive.

In the past i've used only one or the other,which works o.k as well.  Of the opinion that when your'e not that experienced and on the learning curve it's better to probably concentrate on one means.

· Registered
1,120 Posts
Imported post

Guys,

Some very interesting comments about BC/suit for buoyancy. I would be interested to know how many of you who use BC for buoyancy use a wing and who uses a jacket (i.e. Buddy commando etc).

I dive twin 10s with a side mount (3 or 7l) on a large Buddy commando and very rarely put any air in my BC. This is still the case at 40 - 50m. I do not have any problems with "floatiness" or "bloatedness". The only time I actually put air in my BC is when in the pool or abroad!!

Paul

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Must be doing something wrong.....

Once my suit squeeze is off I'm neutrally bouyant and don't need to use the BCD. There's not loads of air in the suit and migration is never really a problem.....

Plus I don't use ankle weights anymore.

Only time I've used the BCD with the suit is for recovery of weights (someone elses, not mine obviously)

· Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,354 Posts
Imported post

I was originally taught to use the bcd for bouyancy and the suit for squeeze/warmth.  i now only use my suit for bouyancy and i dont touch the wing once i hav edeflated it at the surface prior to descending.  that way when i ascend the auto dump does all my work for me and i can come up from the dive no probs.  works for me.  btw i use twin 12's on a wing.  

andy

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.