YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am shortly off on a Liveaboard to Thailand & Burma Banks, given the limited baggage allowance want to make sure I have the right kit. Would be a shame to take it all the way out there and not use it!

There seems to be mixed messages out there ranging between 1.5mm and 5mm full suit, given it's my first trip out to that part of the world have no idea.

Will be leaving in the next week so any recommendations and feedback would be welcomed.

Many Thanks
Richard

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
I've never called a dive because I was too hot.

·
Registered
793 Posts
It thailand is was comfortable in board sorts and rash vest, this was doing 4-5 dives a day. Water temp didnt drop below 28C

·
The worlds slowest sailor.
2,970 Posts
something thin that stops the webbing from rubbing. 3mm shorty was plenty for me.

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
Not same place but it's just the other side of the equator; in Bali last June, 28-30C, dependent on site, I wore a microfibre shirt from Columbia and a pair of Rip Curl boardies on all my dives - got a bit chilly at 43m in an upwelling but for 90% of the dives I was fine with that. Little stingy plankton up the shorts legs was a bit of a bummer on some dives though, but only near the surface. A dive the next weekend back in Tas in 12C was a bit rough though.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
...I am shortly off on a Liveaboard to Thailand & Burma Banks, given the limited baggage allowance want to make sure I have the right kit. Would be a shame to take it all the way out there and not use it!
I dived off Malaysia (and quite close to the Thai border, Eastern side) in October last year. The water was nice and hot to about 20-40m at 28C (depth of thermocline was variable - one day was as deep as 50m). However below this it dropped off and at one point we had only 23C, which I find pretty cold in a 2mm suit (which is what I had). It was OK, but on the limit for a 30 min bottom time.

So make your decision bearing in mind the depth you'll go to.

Cheers
Matt.

·
Down under member
208 Posts
I was diving in Koh Tao and Phuket in July 2010. I had a pair of board shorts... That's pretty much it. Water temp was constantly 32 degrees C for the week I was there. (I did bring a 3mm suit but that went missing off a ferry between Koh Samui and Koh Tao... Keep an eye on your bags)

·
Registered
166 Posts
For most people a shorty is fine, but for quite some others, especially on liveaboards with lots of dives every day, a full suit is better.
What I do, if people tend to get cold easily I give them a shorty plus a 3 mm full suit, so they have the choice, and if necessary can even combine.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
think ive used 3mm +5mm shorties in thai. but prefer 3mm full wetsuit +a hood.
will cover you, if borderline 5mm? or a long series of dives... the hoods easy to wear or not...

as bj says, better to carry the extra few kg than take shorts, be getting cold, feeling uncomfortable +changing your risk in the tables...

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
plan for the worst?
no thai divers have had to spend hours bobbing around hoping the boat comes back, but for all the other things we plan for, is it worth wearing the extra protection?

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
I have always used my Thermocline top & shorts, a little cool @85m but fine down to 45m almost anywhere. Most people wear 3mm shorties except the guides who will wear 5mm full suits.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I used to work in Thailand and I only ever wore a 3mm shorty during the monsoon season when the water was a chilling 24c. It was freezing I tells ye. Most of the time though I wore a rashy and boardies and was never cold.

In fact most the diving I have done around Thailand and Indo I only ever wore a rashie. Only time I had to don a 5mm was at canibal rock. Now that was cold at 21c. Brrrrr.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I used to work in Thailand and I only ever wore a 3mm shorty during the monsoon season when the water was a chilling 24c. It was freezing I tells ye. Most of the time though I wore a rashy and boardies and was never cold.

In fact most the diving I have done around Thailand and Indo I only ever wore a rashie. Only time I had to don a 5mm was at canibal rock. Now that was cold at 21c. Brrrrr.
24 Degrees, where was that? here the temperature is year round 29 centigrade, last May-June a bit warmer, sometimes a thermocline down to 27, brrr.

·
Naturally blonde - please type slowly
680 Posts
I wore and 3mm long in Thailand and got cool at end of 67mins dive time....all dives above 30m....still I am a bit of a coldy :D Have fun!

·
Registered
86 Posts
24 Degrees, where was that? here the temperature is year round 29 centigrade, last May-June a bit warmer, sometimes a thermocline down to 27, brrr.
Koh Tao

According to my dive computer that temp was recorded on 7th January 2007 13:53pm at 32M so I suspect it was either South West or Chumpon. There is a few other dives around about that time that where also in the 24c range. One at 12m in the morning so either Twins or White rock.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts