YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Yep, still working on the guide...

As you've probably noticed, it's currently all text. I'd like to add some pix to better illustrate the points it makes.

So if any of you have any photos that you think it would benefit from including, I'd like to have them

A few examples of the type of pix needed are: SMBs you've customised to make them more identifiable/visible; full foot compared to open-heel fins; dry gloves being worn; modifications you've made to your kit, such as bungee repalcing buckles; a first stage configured for singles and twins... etc etc

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Fraid I don't have a digicam as yet so can't help, but I'm sure the Anglesey gig will provide a whole bunch of piccies for the guide, then everyone can get to see my light sabre and Batwings  

Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

Well, I've managed to get SOME illustrations added, either stolen or donated (Cheers Daz), but it's still looking a bit bare..

Surely SOME of you have photos of your dive gear? Even if it's photos for the "What not to do" section  

·
Registered
106 Posts
Imported post

Dominic

Just some further thoughts on your excellent article which covered the subject of SMBs/dSMBs.

In the original thread, Lou responded by recalling that her boat skipper had rcommended the use of orange SMBs.  I responded with:

"Some thoughts to further cause debate.  Your boat skipper suggested that the best surface location device was an orange, not yellow, SMB.

The HSE, in conjunction with the MCA, RNLI and Armed Forces, conducted research into the most effective type of Diver Emergency Surface Location Devices.  The research was carried out in the winter of 1999 over a four month period in the Orkney and Shetland areas.  The trials were carried out using the widest variation of light, sea and wind conditions.

The resulting HSE report (HSE Offshore Technology Report OTO 1999 057) came to the conclusion that the Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) or APIRB was by far the most effective.  (The MCA have conservatively calculated that a 200 square nautical mile search area could be covered bySAR helicopter for a person in the water wearing PLB, in less than 20 minutes.)

The final conclusion on Surface Location Devices that came from the HSE was that "No one emergency surface location device is suitable for all conditions."

They went on to suggest "Paired devices, such as a fluorescent yellow flag with a strobe on top, covers the widest range of conditions."

And they finished with "If you can carry only one device, make it a fluorescent yellow flag."

Something to think about."

The tests looked at different coloured flags and marker buoys and the idea of marking them with black lettering.  The final analysis was that the best device turned out to be a fluorescent yellow flag.

I have the video and would be more than happy to try and get a copy to you if it helps in your putting your dive equipment guide together.

Best wishes.

Kev

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

Cheers for the reminder, Kev: I fully intend to add a bit about flags, just as soon as I've modified my own slightly to bring it in line with what I intend to recommend (A strip of reflective tape to increase visibility in low-light conditions, and a glowstick/strobe for total darkness)

In the meantime, the full HSE report is actually availabe online, for anyone interested: See this page, along with the conclusion that a yellow flag is THE best non-EPIRB location device you can carry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts