YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Does anyone know  if it is possible and if so what the proccess would be to buy the ownership of a wreck.

How would you track down an owner, liability matters, etc.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Hi Ben,
         I think it depends if it's a known wreck or a virginal wreck. This LINK gives a few pointers to id'ing wrecks and who to contact regarding ownership.

What are you thinking of buying? Or would you need to shoot me if you told?

HTH
Peter

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>ive found this wreck full of gol and ..............

Was going to buy up all the known wrecks that are popular dive sites and ban diving on them. Then in a sort of monopoly sort of way charge a fortune for permission.

Also, if you can buy them cheaply they would make an ace xmas pressie for someone.

Like I said I know nowt about buying a known wreck but you must be able to off lloyds or someone. Why would they want some unsalvaged metal?

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Ben

You can, you need to track down the owners and make an offer, some of Canterbury Divers own the Loanda.

You can also just buy the cargo, some of Canterbury Divers own the cargo on the Pomerania (Didn't know that did ya Andy?)

Question? If you are the owner and there is an accident how culpable are you? Charging to dive her i suspect would make you quite culpable? Start coming into HSE regulations on Dive Site's as well

Regards

Paul

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>good point, only joking about the chargin bit anyway.

If the wreck collapsed on a diver there without any charge or someone died inside it is there any legal duty of care. or is it a case of "own stupid fault"

Did Kingston find or buy the rights.

Whagt would a wreck go for.

Quite fancy owning one. Wonder who owns the Akka.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Elfyn and Terry (YellowButtyBox and Angleseydiver) own the wreck of the Dakota off Anglesey - they're systematically salvaging the wreck, I think. Can't imagine any other reason for owning one. They might be able to help you with this one.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Ben,

Did some asking about for you today & this is what i can out of it all.

1), The Salvage Assoc ( SA ) no longer deal with the seeling of wrecks .
2), If you want a wreck to consider purchasing , it goes tho the Department of Culture,Media & Sports ( to
    which have taken over the role of the ADU, but hasn't been set up and running properly , yet ).
3), UNESCO are sticking thier noses in and will make it harder to buy anything below the high water mark ,
    soon .
4), Easier to track down the insurance company that paid out for the loss, this can be done via Llyods of
    London- then go direct to company from there.

Some wrecks and cargoes go for as little as £ 250, and once you have the paperwork you are RESONCIBLE for all that site , making sure that it never becomes a hazard to shipping/navigation.

PAul, erm yes i did mate, remember a few years back when our company was on the Loanda
:)

Andy

ex Deep Sea Exploration plc Diver

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

I am unsure why anyone would want to buy a wreck and take the risks involved. Puffin divers bought the Breda and the Hispania in the last few years and tried to tell charter boats that they couldn't dive it anymore as they owned it, guess what the other charter skippers gesture was???

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Your right Rupert.......... you can't police wrecks,,,,,,,

HOWEVER ,

You can sue a diver if he lifts something from your wreck without the owners premission.

Andy

·
T.L.S. More dives than posts
688 Posts
Imported post

My club BSAC 43 Teesside bought the SS Ocean (It was a millenium thing) cost £500.:p

Once you have bought a wreck the receiver of wrecks checks out who has got what (assuming they declared it)and gives you this info so you can claim all the goodies back.
As has already been said policing is virtually impossible.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

In theory you can sue anybody for anything but I doubt in practice it is workable unless huge sums of money are involved.

·
hmmm.. open circuit revisited...
760 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kev W @ Oct. 08 2003,14:38)]
<font color='#008080'>"Once you have bought a wreck the receiver of wrecks checks out who has got what (assuming they declared it)and gives you this info so you can claim all the goodies back."

hmm.. if you did intend to claim back goodies, I suspect your success would depend on 1. whether you own the cargo or the wreck or both, and what part the goodies belong to and 2. whether the receiver has already awarded ownership for the salvaged items to the salvor - if ownership is still undecided, you would need to pay a market rate for any items you may wish to claim back from the salvor. Once ownership has been awared by the receiver the only way you could get the stuff back is to buy it off the new owner. At least that is how I understand the situation...

Best

Anke

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Nice one all,

So those who know people who have bought wrecks, how did they go about it.

As to policing, etc. If you get a deep, fairly undived wreck, there are a few, might be worth it.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Andy

I was refering to the cargo of the Pomerania not the Loanda.

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Ben
Yes you can,purchase a wreck I pitched in with a few members of a local dive Club a few years ago and did just that. From what I recall  it was a few years ago now we bought it off the board of trade, a few hundred quid between us at the time.
The particular one was in shallow water well out of any shipping lanes. I mention this as I recall in the small print of the documentation supplied following purchase it made reference to the fact that the purchasers were responsible for sorting it out if it "ever" became a hazard to navigation, quite an undertaking in our case with a dam great collier full of coal. Maybe one of the drawbacks    
and probably a similar thing when owning other wrecks 
The plus side is plenty of coal for a campfire lol and one of the team salvaged the large Brass whistle of it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Small point to remember here!!!
Even if you are the owner you still have to declare any recovered salvage.

As an owner you can’t stop other divers from diving your wreck.
Their only requirement is to declare their finds and if you want it you have to pay a salvage award.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What to do if You Find Wreck
It is a legal requirement that all recovered wreck is reported to the Receiver of Wreck, whether recovered from within or outside of UK territorial waters and even if the finder is the owner. The Receiver of Wreck is responsible for the administration of that part of the Merchant Shipping Act 1995 which deals with wreck and salvage. Operating on behalf of the Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions, the Receiver of Wreck is located within the Maritime and Coastguard Agency. If you find wreck, contact the Receiver of Wreck, your local Coastguard station or Marine Office. Forms for reporting items of wreck are available from the Receiver of Wreck or your local Coastguard station, Marine Offices, HM Customs and Excise advice centres, harbour offices, and museums.

Salvage Law

Cheers
Bob

·
T.L.S. More dives than posts
688 Posts
Imported post

when you buy a wreck you do not buy the cargo,by recovering goodies I meant portholes/fixtures and fittings.
The insurance company that the shipping company used (ie paid out for the loss of cargo) becomes the cargo owner not the new wreck owner.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts