YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The plan is vital, it's something to deviate from.
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted a Tokina 10-17 fisheye, and found them on offer for £449 or £495 in the UK, or £245 + £45 p&p from Ebay Hong Kong sellers. Then I read a post on here about Welcome to UWDigitalCamera.com and Mr Yuzo Kanda who runs his business out of Japan, so last Tuesday I sent him an e-mail asking for a price. I got the reply on Wednesday (I assume the missing day was because of the time difference), emailed back asking how to order, and finally placed my order on Thursday.

I got a despatch email straight away giving the link to the appropriate FedEx tracking system, and my lens arrived today (Monday).

Depending on what the final exchange rate applied is, I'll have paid about £260 and got my lens in three days, and wasn't charged import duty - though if I had been I'd still be way ahead of the UK price.

Now to get the lens wet!

·
Evil! Like Black Play Doh
348 Posts
Import duty

Becareful, & stash some cash away ready to pay the duty.

We bought our daughter a Happy Feet penguin for Xmas from the US as all of the stores in the Uk had ran out. These things were £27 in Argos, changing hands on Ebay fro nearly £50. So I ordered one straight from Warner Bros in US.

All taxes & shipping paid. It arrived well before Xmas, cost around £32 all in, but we were just glad to get one.

Last week, got a letter from DHL, you owe us £42, they have estimated the value of the goods & the shipping costs at over £85, then they have slapped on an admin charge, calculated the duty, then sent us the bill.

I was gob smaked, rang them to explain how we had bought it, they weren't interested, "just send us the Duty or we will see you in court".

Contacted Warner, who said that all US shipping & taxes were met, but I am liable for any local Duties.

What has really P155ed me off is the fact I wsaw the bloody things in Tesco last week for £17.

Be aware, you may be asked for the import duty.

Reactions: B

·
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't done anything to avoid the duty, I just ordered it and (so far) haven't been asked to pay any duty. If I am, I am. We'll see.

·
Diving since 1970, must be doing it right!
1,551 Posts
duty and vat

Yup - I bought stuff on ebay. Customs and Excise in airport of arrival levied VAT and import duty and Postman demanded I pay it before he gave me the parcel..but...every time, they calculated the charges based on a £1 = $1 and I had to claim back the difference..I did mention that if they applied that rule to Turkish items I would have had to pay VAT and duty 1.3 million times the value..but irony was lost on them

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would still worry about the excise duty on things bought abroad,

B x
Why when you would still save money over buying it in the uk. The only problem I found was the warrenty issue, but with the amount I saved on the strobe I would have to sent it back to Japan on multiple occasions before it cost anywhere near what it costs in the UK. Me

·
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to finish this thread - a week after receiving the lens I got a bill for duty form Fedex, £18.81 including £4.50 admin charge.

Still very happy.....my lens has cost me about £200 less than buying from the UK and arrived just as quickly.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
A few years ago I ordered some stuff from America and some weeks after a bill from the courier arrived. Previously I have been charged duty etc before delivery so thought that they were trying ot on and so filed the bill in the round filing cabinet and have never heard from the since.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
I did mention that if they applied that rule to Turkish items I would have had to pay VAT and duty 1.3 million times the value..but irony was lost on them
Possibly because Turkey rebased their currency about 2.5 years ago. The rate is hanging at around YTL 2.7 =£1 instead of YTL 2,500,000 = £1

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi
Bought three lenses from Hong Kong, significantly cheaper than UK, and was fortunate enough not to be hit by any import duty or VAT. If people are interested the company UR Galaxy regularly advertise on ebay though I always dealt with them directly as it was even cheaper. Camera bodies are an even safer bet as I dont think they attract any duty at all.

Best wishes
John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts