YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm off to buy a torch at lunchtime for my weekend dives!
C4, D4, D8 or C4eLED??
I am going to buy rechargeable NiMh from Maplins for which ever one I buy!

It's for UK diving!

I'm off in an hour and the shop only sells UK torches.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
As I recall the R versions have a more powerfull bulb (one modest and one powerful in a twin bulb holder) and are rechargeable from the word go.

I think I have the C8R (the D8R is a big mother), the Light Cannon is good value, although replacement bulbs are pricey I believe.

What depths - I find mine adequate for 35m UK diving.

Matt

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
OK, I'm off to buy a torch at lunchtime for my weekend dives!
C4, D4, D8 or C4eLED??
I am going to buy rechargeable NiMh from Maplins for which ever one I buy!

It's for UK diving!

I'm off in an hour and the shop only sells UK torches.

Forget the C4eLED - its is very bright and good for looking into holes and under rocks. That's all.
Distance penetration is very poor.

You just missed my old one on E-bay :)

·
9,135 Posts
I've had mine 3 years now, non-rechargeable, on the same bulb.

The batteries have been changed three times thought . . .

ColinM
Excellent, better than "some" HID. I never said they were fragile, just something to bear in mind. having said that I recall Gizmo smacking the shit out of his on a dive boat and the bulb didnt break. Oh how we laughed at that one, he was trying to swop the handle over to the one that had fully charged batteries, then someone suggested he swop the batteries instead, stunned silence then uproarious laughter. :)

Colin were those UK rechargeables or nicads or non chargeable?

Matt

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah my budget is around £50ish, so a light cannon is out of the question. I would love to but knowing me I'll break the bulb or drop it overboard!
So I'm down to a C4, D4 or D8............got 30mins before I go to the shop.........

·
9,135 Posts
Yeah my budget is around £50ish, so a light cannon is out of the question. I would love to but knowing me I'll break the bulb or drop it overboard!
So I'm down to a C4, D4 or D8............got 30mins before I go to the shop.........
In that case look see how much the batteries (rechargeable) are going to cost you, might be worth factoring in. I'm not certain but I think the NiMH wont have enough woomf for a long burn time, if that is the cas I'd go for a C4, D batteries (non rechargeable) are expensive to replace on a regular basis.

Matt

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh right I thought the rechargeable batteries would do the same as non-rechargeables. OK I think I'll go for a C4, seems like a decent enough torch.
Right, I'm off....that was easy, cheers guys!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.