How can i calculate the cost for a trimix fill for None Standard gas fills

I realise its cost per litre but how much He for each mix
twin 12's

Without using software as my phone is $h1t and i have to use my brain

·
Unusually Large Member
1,122 Posts
Go to Nigel Hewitts site.
There is a really good blending program on there that also calculates the cost of the fills.
Then thank Nige

Dan

·
The worlds slowest sailor.
2,970 Posts

twin 12's

my muppet way-

you have to change the figures for yourself-.

lets say a dive to 60 m.(7 bar)

max 02 of 1.2.
max n2 of 3.8(makes the sums easy) bit less than 40m end.

add them together gives 5.

so 2 bar must be helium.-this makes the 7 you need.

2 bar divided by 7 =.28

so 28% helium fill.

28% of 4800lts =1344lts

1344 lts x price per ltr.

G

·

twin 12's

you do understand that when people talk of, for example, 21/35, it means its 35% helium ?

therefore, total cylinder contents x 35% = volume of He required

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Its easier not to ask the price. Just hand over a debit card and close your eyes while someone touches you in an inappropriate manner.

·
Silent Knight
1,849 Posts
Even simpler - go CCR and never think about the cost again !:D ;)

Saw the price of Geoff's twins 12's remix on Sunday for £55 and all the CCR divers winced liked they'd been the ones kicked in the knackers !!! :D :D

By contrast I used 25 bar of 17/45 and 40 bar O2 which it cost me about £3 (and 4 or 5 quid of lime)

G

·
Registered
4,039 Posts

Saw the price of Geoff's twins 12's remix on Sunday for £55 and all the CCR divers winced liked they'd been the ones kicked in the knackers !!! :D :D

By contrast I used 25 bar of 17/45 and 40 bar O2 which it cost me about £3 (and 4 or 5 quid of lime)

G

...and they throw in a CCR and associated training for free with a box of Cornflakes ;)

·
Silent Knight
1,849 Posts
Pah !! Peasants :D ;)

I reckon on about 1.5 to 2 years diving depending on how regular you dive - then you're golden

G

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
how many £50 trimix fills for a CCR and training? I reckon about 200+

I think I'll stick witht eh OC for a while, unless i win the lottery :D
It ain't just about saving money on gas fills. I wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
how many £50 trimix fills for a CCR and training? I reckon about 200+

I think I'll stick witht eh OC for a while, unless i win the lottery :D
Naah. Just 100.
How long would it take you to do a hundred deep dives if you didn't have to pay silly money?
Three years?
So in six years what's extra in the bank? (nothing - you'd spend it on more dive trips)

And when you dive trimix not air you remember the dive. Before I went CC I had lots of dives in my log I couldn't remember much about despite costing me for fuel, accommodation and boat but now I have many happy hours of idling through a deep wreck, ferreting things out and lots to bore people about afterwards. Plus I don't have to dive plan any more which is such a bonus if you run into something interesting near your planned time. Give it another five and pay for it with some more stops... but I can do more stops because I don't use gas.

And I can miss dives because gassing up with OC 'mix means you just have to do the dive. If I don't feel so good I can take my little 2L of mix home with me and use it next weekend. It's the same 18/40 for almost everything.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
It's an old topic, but I reckon at the time I went CCR, I was doing 50-60 dives pa in the 50-70m range.

Avg gas cost per dive was £45.

On the CCR, my avg costs were gas and lime of less than £10, so saving £35 per dive.

My unit and traning cost me £4,350 over 3 years (purchase £2,750, training £1,000, servicing/cells £600), so, easily broke even.

A huge benefit was logistics for a weekend or week away, I just didn't have to worry about driving a hour each way to get gas or any similar silliness.

On top of that, it's a much nicer say to dive IMO.

For me it made sense on all counts. If I were only doing a few deep dives each year then I could never have justified it on cost, but would still have been tempted (knowing what I know now) just for the convenience.

Juz

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
Hey,CCR boys, stop being so sensitive :)
Hey we're the guys with the experience of Helium.
We can afford it.

Plus blending accurate fills in a 2L cylinder requires a delicate touch. :p

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
presently paying about 8p a litter out here at the moment...

so please do not grumble too much :)

·
ccr_ada top DAC guru 001#Blackberry pin 283E29BB
2,217 Posts

G

i would like to add that was just his back gas....
for 1 dive to 52m......over the weekend he did 2 50+m dives......with stages
think you will find the gas cost of the weekend may of cost him around £150. ish +/- a bit.......
and he had less time on the bottom than the ccr divers so work that out with time spent ON THE BOTTOM to cost of the weekend {traviling B&B Food beer boat costs} you will find that it wont take long to get the cost of a unit and training back... and dont forget you can sell most of the OC stuff and put that to the cost of the ccr....

+ i could probably do about 3 or more weekends worth of diving {dill } with what he had left in his back gas....

you will probably find also that the CCR divers times where limited to being cold, finished diving the wreck, bored, worried someone would eat there pasty and not running out of gas .....{well except Jhononthesevern as he just wanted to look at his kit on the boat bench:D}
you will find with today's ccr diving it can be skippers that limit most ccr divers in water times......some even want to charge more if you dive beyond 1.30 / 2h....

anyway as for cost, get your own J's and do your own mixing then tell the dive shop what to fill the air to. easy..... and easy for them...

well thats my 2p worth

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
i would like to add that was just his back gas....
for 1 dive to 52m......over the weekend he did 2 50+m dives......with stages
think you will find the gas cost of the weekend may of cost him around £150. ish +/- a bit.......
and he had less time on the bottom than the ccr divers so work that out with time spent ON THE BOTTOM to cost of the weekend {traviling B&B Food beer boat costs} you will find that it wont take long to get the cost of a unit and training back... and dont forget you can sell most of the OC stuff and put that to the cost of the ccr....

+ i could probably do about 3 or more weekends worth of diving {dill } with what he had left in his back gas....

you will probably find also that the CCR divers times where limited to being cold, finished diving the wreck, bored, worried someone would eat there pasty and not running out of gas .....{well except Jhononthesevern as he just wanted to look at his kit on the boat bench:D}
you will find with today's ccr diving it can be skippers that limit most ccr divers in water times......some even want to charge more if you dive beyond 1.30 / 2h....

anyway as for cost, get your own J's and do your own mixing then tell the dive shop what to fill the air to. easy..... and easy for them...

well thats my 2p worth
Couldn't agree more. I don't know whether to chuckle or feel sorry for people buying trimix and deco gas for 40m dives, especially when you've got robbing gits like that place on the Clyde that charges £30 for an O2 stage fill.

I had an argument on DIRX a few months ago over how long it takes to make your money back on CCR, it still makes me smile. It's impossible because no-one does 60m+ every week... Well if you're OC that's probably true but a mix dive costs me less than a ticket to Stoney, boat costs the same for a 30m dive as a 70m one. I think I made the cost of my first box back in 6 months.

I don't even bother with J's, I just a couple of 12's filled with dil and another with oxygen. Lasts for months, the only thing I get filled is my suit bottle once a month.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts