YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Ah, this is starting to get a bit common and it's before i've even had chance to post my bio on the introduction page - oops.

I went off to wraysbury last wendesday night for an easy evening dive and ended up getting bent. The dive in question was pretty uneventful, 45 mins with a deepest bit of 11mtr and a 3min stop at 6mtr, nothing too special there. My buddy and i spent a bit of time doing shutdown drills and just doing seneic diving, getting out at about 21:30.

By 23:00 i was driving home and noticed a slight pain in the back of my right hand. I assumed that it was due to a combination of shutdown drills and driving.

The next morning, it had gone completely, but driving to work i start to get a pain in my right lower arm. Once i got to work, the pain dissapeared and i put it down to noting in particular. The same thing happened on friday, but the pain didn't go and got worse through the afternoon and the growing numbness was a bit offputting.

So, by the time i got home, i thought it would be 'prudent' to ring up for a bit of advice, especially as i was planning to do go diving at the weekend :0.

Choosing Whipps X as the localist chamber, i rang up the duty doctor and explained my situation. Now at this point, i was expected to be told that it couldn't possibly be dci as it was too long since the dive. wrong, the doc suggested that i should goto the hospital for an examination and mentioned about bringing some stuff for an overnight stay <hint hint>.

i got to the hospital at about 10pm and had a chat with the doctors, by 11pm i was in the chamber starting a 5 hour treatment. i stayed in hospital overnight and got to go back in the chamber for another blast on saturday afternoon for  2 1/2 hours.

Obviously, the last few days have been something of a whirl and a shock. None of my diving buddies can believe that i managed to get bent with that profile, and i find it hard to beleive too.

Of course, the doc's told me no diving for a month and organising a pfo test too. Ironically, i'm hoping that this is a pfo as at least it will start to make sense. The events of last week have completely destoryed my established views of dci which had come from a veriety of training organisiations and the web.

if you're interested, i'll let you know what happens when i visit the doc.

Dive safe,

gaz.

BTW,
this may come in handy if you're looking for a local chamber.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bha/map.htm

Pot Map

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>whats a pfo?

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Julia,
pfo- hole in the heart in reallityspeak. Apparently, IIUC we all have one at birth and in 75% of us it heals over quite soon. However, for the other 25% of the population, should they dive, it makes them more susceptible to bends.
It looks likely that Gaz has one given his dive-profile. They are curable and there is loads about them in earlier threads in this section.
ATB,
          Terry

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>A PFO (Patent Foramen Ovale) as Angelseydiver said is a hole in the heart about 20% of the population has one but only only 1% have one large enough to cause a problem when diving.

Simple ecg test to check and they can be repaired.

Fiona

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Fiona

I wonder what 'large enough' means?

I was with a diver last month, his was 8mm before repair. He said that the largest he was told about was 12mm!

I would think that any hole is probably large enough to allow the cross over of bubbles.

Adrian

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>sorry Adrian, no specific's on size, its just that it was the only information I had to hand, so I quoted it!!  I'll try and find out.

When I had my bend I was also told I had a PFO but I had two tests and both were negative.   So very happy

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>My (admittedly limited) understanding is that a pfo can be not much larger than a pin-prick and still allow bubbles through the membrane so several millimetres would seem quite large.
However, as I haven't gone to much length to research this alleged "factoid" I will stand to be corrected
Chee-az
Steve

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Hi Gareth,

You`re not the same Gareth, twin 7s, thats doing the Ad nitrox course with Dave by any chance.

If so l`m the loud mouthed,`fick builder, slightly overweight, good looking guy with the multi coloured dry-suit thats also on the course.

Hope everything works out OK and see you soon.

added

Oh and welcome of course, we`re a nice friendly bunch on this board.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Yes that's me.

apparently, if we'd made it there last weekend we would have got the adv. nitrox bits signed off.

i think i had a good excuse for not going ....

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>OK, size isn't everything or so I am told.  Just found this:

How common are PFO's?   A post mortem study from the Mayo Clinic found a prevalence of around 20-25% depending on age. This included very small holes which were described as probe patent, measuring only 1-2 mm in diameter. Studies in normal populations have been hampered by detection methods, and conventional echocardiography detected only 20-50% of cases (as compared with transoesophageal echocardiography, the gold standard). Holes big enough to cause significant paradoxical gas embolism are probably only present in 1-2% of the normal population.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

I think the probe patents are the small ones. I think the Mayo Clinic is probably saying that embolism is a risk for 1-2% population under 'normal' conditions, ie not diving.

I have seen references of PFOs of 4-6cm, yes cm! It would seem that PFO is sometime misused as a description for other heart defects, probably our laymans ignorance.

It also appears to have a statistical relationship with Strokes, but the cause is not clear. I also understand that a relationship with Deep Vein Thrombosis is thought to exist.

This http://www.daneurope.org/eng/jap98.pdf is a reasonable read if you can see the wood for the TLAs.

Adrian

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Hi Fiona,
         When you're posting click on the blue HTTP thing at the top of the bit you type your message in. Paste the link into the first box, press OK, Type the name of your link and press Ctrl + V. When you put the post through it shouold be there.

Peter

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

According to Wilmshurst, 1/2 inch is about as big as they get. 0.5% of PFOs are this size.  ECG isn't the way the to check, you need to see an expert.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FionaB @ June 04 2003,16:04)]No, they were refering to divers it's from the UK sport diving medical newletter www.sherifbank.freeserve.co.uk/newsletter 02-01.htm

Sorry don't know how to add a hyperlink
Found the article Fiona, its a shame they don't post a proper link to or reference the actual report. It would be interesting to see how they extrapolate PFOs in dead people, to decideing on what size is likely to cause problems for 1-2% of the population.

Elsewhere I found references to 40% of those dying of strokes have a PFO.

Adrian

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Bad luck - hope it turns out to be nothing too serious. Thanks for the homepage link as well.

A question for the board - what are the different catagory chambers ?? i.e, what is the difference between catagory 1,2 etc ??

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (DougParker @ June 04 2003,17:36)]ECG isn't the way the to check, you need to see an expert.
<font color='#0000FF'>Sorry Doug I thought ECG stood for Echocardiogram, which is what I had carried out by an expert - Dr P Wilmshurst.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Imported post

To be honest kirky, i am hoping that the tests will reveal a pfo, otherwise i think it's going to be rather hard to go diving again if it's just one of those things.

a pfo would at least give closure (no pun intended) to it.

I've no idea what the difference between categories of chambers is, but i suspect it might be something to do with the depth and/or size of them.

I saw an old draeger chamber in the plymouth aquarium a while ago. it was pretty much the size of a couple of dustbins. i'd imagine that they probably had to grease patents to get them in there.

gaz.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Sorry Doug I thought ECG stood for Echocardiogram, which is what I had carried out by an expert - Dr P Wilmshurst.
My mistake, i thought you meant a normal DR had checked you out rather than Wilmshurst.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts