YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hey guys,

i was out with Dave King and his wonderful club today, diving the Somali in about 30m of water.  Firstly my torch is dead - it is now being charged to make sure that im not just being thick and trying to run it when its flat.  The second is one of my regs is bubbling constantly - the ones i paid £127 to get serviced at stoney for on the 21st Feb GOD DAMMIT.  All this left me feeling a little uneasy.  The last time i dived while feeling like that (but no kit failures, womans instinct i think) me and my buddy ended up in A&E after him getting a rapid ascent.  I got into the water, and descended the shot line where it was dark and cold.  Once we were at the bottom i felt really shit, like i have had dives deeper and in far worse vis but i didnt like it and signalled to my two buddies (we were diving a three which aint ideal) that i was going up.  We were sat on the shotline, and i knew if i didnt feel any better in 10 minutes we would be well off the line and it would be a pain in the arse for them to come and get me since the boat was anchored.
I have never called a dive before, ever.  There have been many when i feel i should have done, some where i definatley should but this was the first when i had.  I still feel kinda off about it now, that the dive was well within my ability and why the hell did i waste the opportunity to see a wreck?  I think it was the right decision to call the dive, but what about tomorrow?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Porg

DO NOT stress yourself mate, there is never a time that you should not call a dive should you see fit, and I'm pretty sure that the buddies that you were with see it the same way cos one day they might feel the need to call it too...

I'm proud of you, too many dive simply because of invisible peer pressure, they worry about how people will think etc... I'd much rather you called a dive while in my company then go down and not be 100% happy...

Well done girl... chalk it up to experience and knowing when NOT to do something... once more WELL BLOODY DONE!!

·
Liberal Lefty
1,694 Posts
Imported post

Nah, don't worry about it.  Calling dives is a sign of a responsible diver.  If it doesn't feel good, don't dive - it's not like there won't ever be another chance to dive it again

I've called several dives before, both in and out of the water.  One was a dive in Scapa Flow and I was gutted to miss it but it was the right decision.   Anyway, I'm off up there again this summer (with Divefun and the editor of Sport Diver so I'm told) so I'll get another shot at it...

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Hi Porg

You have not gone down any in my estimation, the whole point about diving is to enjoy it, and if your not happy about something, for whatever reason, then that's good enough for me.

James  

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Thanks guys, i still feel like a plum, but never mind, shit happens then you die.  Im sposed to be shore diving tomorrow but im gonna have to shift me gear about and take the single set up since me regs are FUBAR.

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Hey Porg - you made the right call - if it dont feel right, it aint right.

Well in !!!

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Imported post

Calling the dive is ALWAYS a good call.
Now you CAN have another day.

TerryH
(who has called a good half dozen dives and very glad he did)

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
Imported post

You did exactly the right thing.

As for tomorrow, hell if you feel right dive, if you don't, call it again.

There will always be another day, and another dive, as long as people keep calling them when something is amiss. It's when people DON'T call dives that problems happen, so keep up the good work!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ April 09 2004,21:04)]Thanks guys, i still feel like a plum, but never mind, shit happens then you die.  Im sposed to be shore diving tomorrow but im gonna have to shift me gear about and take the single set up since me regs are FUBAR.
yep, but postponing the ineviatable is what we are all here to do.  if it feels wrong it is wrong....no one HAS to be in the water...we spent thousands of years getting out of it.  the Somali is not about to float away...and there ARE plenty more fish in the sea...despite recent surveys to the contry

don't take the vibe into tomorrow, learn from it and file it under good decisons.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

im with the masses porg  
never feel u are obliged to dive just cos u have arranged it !!!if u feel uncomfortuble dont bother going as u wont enjoy the dive with it praying on ya mind<<< u have a responsibility not only to urself but to ur buddies also to be entering the water feeling good and to dive safe without those little niggles that we all get from time to time best wishes and dive safe leigh

·
Registered
755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>What you did was very sensible. If you have to do it again....do it.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Well done Porg - me and Harris have called dives before now. Usually before even getting in the water.

Never liked the Somali anyway ... load of shitty plates and spidge.

See how you are tomorra but if it feels wrong then bin it.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Imported post

I'll forteenth what has gone before, absolutely the right decision.

Never be afraid to call a dive - I would hate to think that someone I was diving with felt unable to end the dive because it didn't feel right.

Keep your chin up babe

Dom

·
Registered
293 Posts
Imported post

You defo made the right choice and because of that you are here to dive another day so stop beating yourself up. Also if you still haven't got your head sorted about this then don't dive today either cause you won't enjoy it with this playing on your mind.

I personally have called 2 dives to date the first when I was only an ocean diver diving with a dive leader on only an 8m dive. The second one was before I even hit the water on a recent trip to Malta with this being my only chance to dive the ferry at 40m on that holiday and was due to weird shit happening with my pony. I didn't and don't feel bad about either of the calls I've made, has people have already said there's plenty more in the sea.

You made the right choice. Be safe, Dive safe and live to dive another day.

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

Porg
right call, if you were diving with me I wouldrather you called it then carry on if you werent feeling good. And as you say it was kinder to your buddies to go back up the shot and leave them to carry on. I have called a dive when the viz was shit and i felt uncomfortable. If your kit was playing up or you didnt feel right then acknowledge that you might be on the edge of an incident pit and dont fall in it. There have beena few times when with hindsight i should have called the dive and didnt, i learnt by it. no matter how far you have driven or how much you have paid to be there , the sea is always there tomorrow and we would like you safe and well to dive it. The best thing i learnt on the rescue course was how to not get into a rescue situation. Calling a dive is sensible. well done for doing it and telling us about it

jules:D

·
The Artist known formerly as 'ScubaRGN2'
386 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>You went with your gut instinct Porg, if it dosen't feel right dont do it. All power to you, tomorrows another day and life is so precious.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Porg, agree with the rest, in fact I called my second yesterday, although I knew my buddy would have others to dive with so it was an easy thing to do for me, but have to agree any diver any time is OK with me.

Matt

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Ok here is the deal, i seem to have lost me bottle.  

Today at Abbs, bit of a swell running but i have been in worse, vis not good but have been in waaay worse than that.  I even dived in the harbour to get a goodie bag someone had dropped by mistake.  But still on the proper dive i wasnt comfortable, and when the third one in our three didnt show up as he was having buoyancy probs, i was very glad to be going up.
Now Stevil i trust you with my life, so no reflection on you there mate.  
I think it is the gear problems that are leaving me so uncomfortable even before i get in the water.  This time i was diving single tin for the first time in about 18 months, in a buddy commando jacket with a shagged inflator button.  Now with this good start, i think it really didnt set me up well.  The thing is, i should be fine, i have dived with dodgier gear than this!  
I think mentally i had set up for a shore dive, but since there was a swell running we couldnt do that.
This is a big deal for me.  Im a hard (and fat) arsed northern bird, but so far this year i have managed to bottle out of two perfectly good dives.  So not me.  I am not supposed to mind the cold and dark and nasty fer gods sake, its ultimatley where i want to go.  But now i find some strange inner irrational fear stopping me like a bloody bungee cord tied to the boat pulling me back.
What the hell do i do?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts