YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Right, i've had enough.

I've smoked for about 15yrs now interspersed with half a dozen attempts to quit.

Its a fact that aside from willpower and NRT, support can be a huge help in getting off them "white little sticks that you put in your mouth".

Anybody wanna quit with me? Be easier than recording one of those depressing adverts a few years down the line eh?

Let me know folks, we could all do each other a favor.

Stu.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Hi Stu, my last cig (hopefully) will be Sunday night and I will wake up Monday morning to start the long haul. I will do it this time! I will, I will, I will. I keep saying this to myself and I think I am in the right frame of mind.

So be warned in case my postings get a bit grumpy

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>me 2 phil, last one tonight, im a new man tomorrow ;)

Good luck, Stu.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Guys

Good luck to you all, i gave up 1 Jan 2002 so coming up for 2 years. My big concern was down the pub after a few beers, but got through that hurdle.

Previouse attempt was 6 months that failed down the Pub.

Also helped getting away from a stressfull job, that was too much of an excuse. When i first stopped if i wanted one i'd work out cost af daily consumption rate x days and look at the money i had saved, big insentive.

All the best

Paul

Former 12 cigars a day man.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

The wife has promised not to buy me any more and seeing as i've never got any money myself i won't be able to buy any.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Nice one Heads Up, get on the cheweys or the patches if they work for ya, i've been down to sainsburys this morning - 1/3 off all nicorette products!

Well done Doug, that is a big incentive.
For me its 30x£4.50=£135 per month. God thats sickening

Good luck all, Day One begins...

Stu.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Imported post

Good luck to you all, I know how hard it can be. I gave up smoking ten years ago and it took the first five years of the occasional *** when out fishing with the lads before one day I did this and almost through up, so it only five years that I can say that I am cured and the thought of smoking makes me ill. Don't give up giving up!

Allan

·
Part of the 'Phoenix Programme'
1,112 Posts
Imported post

cor Jay!

Michael and I smoke like chimneys!! but do give it up, and nag us about it when you are here :))

moray

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

Guys , go for it. I gave up a few years ago now and only then do you realise how disgusting a habit it is.
Think of all the money you will save to spend on lovely dive kit....
jules:D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Imported post

At the risk of joining hands and making this look like a hippy  love-in, let me express my fullest support for you and anyone else giving up the weed.

I smoked for 12 years, quit for 3, back on for a couple and am now 10 months fully clean. And I do mean clean - don't have to think about shaving my tongue after a heavy friday night. Sorry, was that a bit too much info?

So stick with it - it really is a win, win, win deal.

I'm not going to hug any s*dding trees though.

tas

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (moray @ Oct. 05 2003,20:12)]cor Jay!

Michael and I smoke like chimneys!! but do give it up, and nag us about it when you are here :))

moray
Its impossible not to when you live in the Canaries Rebecca. Thats my downfall every six months!! What elsse can I do when they are 2 euros a packet (for the good ones!)

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I do fine until I have a G&T in my hand then it all goes downhill from there:D

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

My daughter has tried a couple of times to quit but she too finds it sooo  hard when she's in the pub.
Best of luck guys, saw my Mum die of lung cancer in 2000 after 6 weeks (yes just 6 weeks) of symptoms, not pleasant. Saw my old man wheelchair bound for 2 yrs cos of the shit in his veins and lungs caused by smoking, until he died.

Really do wish you guys all the best in giving up.

Matt

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Best of luck to all of you planing to give up.  We are involved at work with the NHS smoking campaign and their strap line is

"Don't give up - giving up".  

We have lots of smokers at work, thankfully there are only the two of us in my office and neither of us smoke, however when one of the other guys walk in they STINK of smoke.  

Just think of all those nice things you can buy with the money you will save  

Best wishes

Fiona

·
Registered
545 Posts
Imported post

Righto
       Best we make this a worldwide puttin the knocker on the cigs..
My dive season is on countdown ( Just a couple of weeks away)
and the first dive of the season is happening. But id promised to knock the ciggys and the pub ( Well maybe not the pub) before i started diving
So last sunday was my last ciggy almost 36hrs ago
and still holdin strongish

keep in there lads/lasses
steve

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Can`t see the monitor ... all full of smoke here.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Imported post

I stopped smoking about five weeks ago. I have however had half a dozen **** sinse then. I seem to start all strong and resolute then I creep back to it. When I am a smoker I hate the smell, and tast it leaves in my mouth. Its as if I forget the unpleasant side of it, and think "one" wont hurt. But it does, This thread has given me a bit more willpower, so thanks everyone and good luck

1 - 20 of 125 Posts