YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Me again. Have attached a Muster Roll from a 1775 ship (below) and I'm having a really hard time working out what one of the names reads as. The one I'm interested is the one that begins Christopher.

Some of the variations I've come up with are:

Christopher Onwipky
Christopher Mwipky
Christopher Onwiphy

etc. etc.

Basically I have no idea what this guys second name reads as. There is a chance the name could be African in origin, not unusual to have African crew members on board and they often have English first names.

For those of you that are interested columns in order are: Name, Place of Abode, Date Entered, Date Discharged, Slain, Killed, Hurt or Run and last column is Months and Days.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Why do you want to know?
Dose he owe you a pint or three?
If he does, I'm screwed, he's been underwater for 235 years and I'm guessing he's got a pretty massive deco obligation :p

Trying to create a more legible table of the ships crew for my dissertation, would also be interesting if I could talk about the ship having an African crew member on board. But obviously I don't want to start talking about African crew members when the guys second name is "Charles" and I'm being a [email protected] who can't read.

EDIT: Turns out I can't read and his second name is Murphy, good job I didn't start talking about African crew members...

·
Cake Monitor
1,139 Posts
That "O" could be an "A" - it looks to me like Anwhiphy, which is unlikely. Trouble is, at that time, unusual names were written down phonetically - clearly this hasn't worked out!

You could print it off and take it to your local council's archive department, who will be full of people who can read far more archaic handwriting than this.

Have you checked websites like Ancestry.com to see how they interpret that name?

Failing that, a larger handwriting sample might help, I have a booklet somewhere which shows handwriting styles through the ages - any chance of you posting an image of that page?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That "O" could be an "A" - it looks to me like Anwhiphy, which is unlikely. Trouble is, at that time, unusual names were written down phonetically - clearly this hasn't worked out!

You could print it off and take it to your local council's archive department, who will be full of people who can read far more archaic handwriting than this.

Have you checked websites like Ancestry.com to see how they interpret that name?

Failing that, a larger handwriting sample might help, I have a booklet somewhere which shows handwriting styles through the ages - any chance of you posting an image of that page?
Take a look at the An on James Anderson's name from this other snippet, could be an An but the A would be much more cramped than in Anderson's name, that help at all?

EDIT: Actually, look at the R in Anderson does make me think its an R in Christopher's second name. (Oops, sorry selbyscubasteve, missed your post first time round)

EDIT2: Look at the date for Jame's Anderson's death, specifically the M at the start of May, I'm beginning to think that Murphy might be right, nice one guys.

EDIT3: Ooer I could get all postcolonial and say something really trite like "Christopher Murphy's second name may have a lower case M due to the fact that he was Irish, the lower case M may have indicated the English Clerk's disdain yadada" (I should point out that's tongue in cheek and I'd get shot at dawn for actually writing it :p)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Possibly he had to write Murphy in slightly smaller because Christopher took up too much of the space? Perhaps.... maybe .....

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Final Challenges:

Do we have a William Williams Snr...

and a William Williams Jnr?

Does the name above William Williams Jnr say James Maurice?

EDIT: Don't worry, I have another two of these Muster Rolls which I need to do the same for and the handwriting in them is no where near as legible/ornate ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts