YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, both my wife and I celebrate our 40th this year, and she has decided she'd like a camera as her present - she uses both mine and our sons compact cameras, but really wants one of her own that she can use, and hopefully let me have a play too once in a while! This is totally a camera for above water (seeing as I've packed in diving).
The one model she's seen she like is the Fuji Finepix S5600 (further details are here) - anyone have one/used one, or alternatively recommend a similar camera?
Thanks in advance
Martin

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Hi Martin, whilst I have no experience of the S5600 myself, a quick look on Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ I can see it's nearly 2years old now. Whether this bears a difference to what decision you make (i.e. cost) I don't know.
I also notice that it only has a small (by todays standards) LCD screen of 1.8". Again, that's personal preference. I use the eyepiece wherever possible, in fact I have no choice now as I use a 400D dSLR.

Anyway, there is a lot of info on that site I posted.

·
Registered
147 Posts
S5600

Hi Martin.

As said, the S5600 is a couple of years old now, but is still a great camera. It is one I have and still use.

Although not a full D-SLR it still allows plenty of manual input as well as working as a point and click camera on auto, plus it has a 10x optical zoom.

If you want to see some results from this camera check out the gallery at MyFuji

Also the forum on there can offer some good advice from users of this and other Fuji cameras.

I can still recommend it despite its age. This image is one of mine taken with the S5600.

I also had no trouble getting this image printed to A2 size with absolutely no loss of quality, straight from the camera.

HTH

Mark

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys/girls.
Age is not an issue - she will either use it to death and want to upgrade in a year or so, or use it for a week and then let it sit and gather dust until the next school play! Either way, it'll be hers to do with as she wants, so if it doesn't work, she can still blame me!
Thanks again - will check out the links, and may well try and get to have a play with one in the local camera shop (Jessops - iif they still stock them.
Thanks all
Martin

·
'Caribbean' Ian
847 Posts
Panasonic DMC FZ7

This seems to be well rated for the money! (found it on UK Hot Deals)

·
Resident 'Cloggie'
581 Posts

·
Wreck Ferret 1
1,021 Posts
Martin I have the older S5000 its only 3meg but the easy of use and the pictures come out great. so im sure Fuji have just improved on the later models.

R

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, after finally getting into the local Jessops to have a look at the Panasonic, my wife has decided she wants a digital SLR instead! We had a look at the Nikons - The D40 is nice, as is the D40x, but the local camera shop is currently doing a D50 with standard 18-55 plus a 55 to 200 for 489.
Is there anything better in the D40/D40x that warrants the cost of buying one of these with one lens for the same price as the D50 with 2?
Anyone got a D50/D40/D40x that they use and have any feedback on - I like the idea of the D50 with 2 lenses, just need to convince the wife!
Thanks again
Martin

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
makes mental note to self - read all posts before posting!!:angel:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I know it takes xd cards but the olympus 550UZ is a bit special with 18X optical zoom. It is great for wildlife photography without having to take a bag of lenses

1 - 16 of 16 Posts