YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi All,

So I'm off on hols on Wed evening - 2 1/2 weeks in Koh Samui and decided that it might be nice to take some photos, especially as my daughter (newly qulaified BSAC Ocean Diver) will be diving too.

So with plenty of time in hand (!!) and my usual advance planning, what do I buy?
 I don't want to buy now and have to upgrade in a year.

Digital looks easy to use and no film to waste but a good basic packge seems to be about 600 - 700 quid (eg Oly 5050+housing), and then there's this shutter delay that I've heard about - kids and fish won't stay still.  Housed digital SLR looks nice but Christ have you seen the price.

On the other hand I can get an MMIIex+strobe for well under 500 quid, and I even know where to get a brand new Nik V + lens + strobe for 520.  That would get rid of the shutter delay but what about framing, focusing and the amount of film?

So what about a housed SLR (full rig 2nd hand for 1300)?  God I I wish I hadn't started this.

I think that indecision is the reason that I've not bought a camera so far.

Any advice and opinions greatfully received - and toss a coin isn't helpful as I've told my better half on more that one occasion.

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

I'm probably too late for you here John but I'd go for a sony dsc-psomething with the 40m marine pack. A friend has one which is brilliant. You should be able to get kitted out (admittedly sans strobe) for about £550. My mate is selling his though for £400 as he's just bought the new 5.0 megapixel one...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the info.  I'd looked at the Sonys and was impressed (a mate has one for land use) but was put off by the size of the memeory sticks.   I've heard (can't remember where) that Sony will be revising their line up this year.

In the end, indecision got the better of me so we went on hol without diving camera.  Daughter persuaded me to buy cheapo point and press from the resort dive shop. Reuseable, with 27 exposure film, built in flash, waterproof to 26m (85 ft).  All for less than 15 quid.  Got the first roll back and are okay.  Couple of nice shots of Pink anemone fish, daughter etc.

Think the flash got left turned on as the baterries have died so 2nd roll still not finished.

Cheers,  John

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>John
I was apprehensive in getting a camera especially because of the costs. In the end I brought a Canon S40 (+-£400) which I use for work and normal topside pictures. About three months later I got the casing (from Cameras underwater about £220). By getting them seperatly it help my cash flow (although my credit card is still red hot!).
I've been able to take great pictures, maybe not competition quality but good enough. Now I take the camera with me for most of my dives and its been fantastic. You can make a short video of 30sec as well.
Digital cameras tend to go down in price with time, the example of my camera which I brought last september should be quite a bit cheaper by now.
Chris

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Hi John, not sure if you're still looking but I had the exact same questions when I was looking.  I called  Cameras Underwater and they recommended the Oly 5050.

I think it's a great camera although if you want to us it outside of basic auto mode then get prepared for some serious learning.  So, it really is suitable for beginners and more experienced alike.  

It can take two types of memory card at the same time (I'm currently using an XD card and Compact flash) so really very versatile.  And can take video (at 320x240) for an unlimited time (except for the amount of space on yer memory cards) which you can show directly on a TV.

Loads of options covering exposure, focus settings and also flash (inc rear curtain - which is when the flash fires before the end of the exposure) which means you should be able to get a great range of shots for when you want to be experimental

For the price I think the package is awesome.

Now if somebody could just teach me how to use the bloody thing properly whilst underwater!

If you check out Digital Diver, a lot of the folks there have the same set-up and you can really see what it's capable of.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts