YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

HI TO YOU ALL CAN ANY ONE HELP IAM LOOKING TO BUY A CAMERA BEFORE I GO TO EYGPT IN MARCH CAN ANY ONE GIVE ME SOME ADVISE

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hi Rich,

I bought a SEA & SEA Motor Marine35 MX-10 with a Sub 40 YS-40A strobe (I know, it sounds well technical, right, but it's not and it's a piece of piss to use and load film etc.)

I got it at the Brum Dive Show for £288.00 from Cannock Scuba Centre. I bought it for my jaunt to the Maldives last October and took 360 photies with the beast - dead easy mate.

Look in the Underwater Photography section on here too, there are all kinds of cameras and plenty of advice on there as to how best to choose and use them. Good luck and hope that helps.

Cheers,

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

The first question is, what do you wnat from it, are you looking to take up photography, or take a few picies whilst your away. There is a vast array of cameras, if you want a bit of advise, then a great work-horse is the Sea n Sea MX10, but, for my pennies worth, for general purpose stuff - go digital. It's quick, easy, and allows you to work out what your do9ng as you go along.

Andrew

·
Registered
275 Posts
Imported post

I use a Sea & Sea MotorMarine IIEX with twin YS60 strobes. yes, Digital Cameras are easy to use, but if it floods you can throw it away, with a Sea & Sea it can be sent off for repairs, I have hundreds of good photos from my MM and wouldn't miss it for the world....

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Along with my Maldives, no doubt ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Fuji Fine pix works just 'fine' for me, had it for 6 months and no real problems, just need to work out how to be rid of backscatter.
In clear water abroad this should be ok. full kit including camera, strobe and both housings is about £500.

·
I came, I saw, I dived
552 Posts
I have had several camera, and currently have 2 digital setups.

One a Olympus C4000 (4Mega-Pixels) and an Sony DSC-T1 (5Mega-Pixels) The Olympus takes the better pictures, however, the Sony is small enought to put in your pocket.

The bit that makes the Olympus better than the Sony is the lens, the Olympus is a lot bigger so can let more light in so better pictures. However the Olympus has a hell of a shutter lag so it's difficult to take pictures of swimming fish.

My recommendations to you are:
1) Go digital - you are only going to get one or two good shots a dive, with digital you can review the picture after you've taken it and take another if you need to. You also have the benefit they you can choose which ones you want to print rather than paying a fortune on film processing. (On my first holiday to the Maldives I used 15 films which cost me over about £50 for the film and £120 for processing!)
2) Before I purchased my cameras i spent a lot of time researching the images they created on the internet. There are sites where people publish their pictures together with the camera they used. Be very critical, zoom in to the pictures look at the effect of pixelation and look carefully at colour graduation.
3) Get yourself a sea water filter, they add the colour back into the photo.
4) The ipod camera adaptor about £19 - great for holidays. I now don't have to worry about having enough space on my memory cards as I can download them at the end of every dive. I took 9Gb on my last holiday.
5) Practise, practise, practise.

I hope this helps

·
74 Posts
Hi
I got a Olympus MJU600 and the underwater housing which i though was absolutly brilliant no problems what so ever. Used this in the Maldives, Capernwray and Stoney. All with good results, Maldives outstanding.

Cheers Hughesy

·
moving like a parallelogram
124 Posts
My views for what it's worth:

Olympus MJU plus case

In my case a MJU400 + PT16Case.

But you can get a bit of camera shake.
Practise loads to get used to how it behaves.

Freinds with Fuji's seem equally pleased, but the MJU is pretty tough in itself.

·
Registered
66 Posts
considered getting a case for my olympus, but by the time you buy the case then the stobe and associated housing, you may as well buy the lot in one go, hence the fuji

anyway i like my fuji

1 - 13 of 13 Posts