YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Son Ryan is after getting himself one of these pocket size digital camera's and he was thinking it would be a good idea to get one he could house for diving.

Any recommendations on a peedie camera that works well with a housing

Thanks

Ian

·
Registered
721 Posts

·
He that is called 'Dundee', from the clan 'Dundee'
1,286 Posts

·
I like my login so much I put my name on it...
1,451 Posts
Anything from the canon ixus range is small enough as a pocket digital camera. It's not so great in the UK as there's not enough light (so it's all macro work, then again all my shots were inside wrecks).

Gives you just enough control without being complicated. If you get into the photography bit you can always get something most suitable (again a canon though ;)).

I have the ixus 700 which is a 7MPixel camera, there's newer versions now though. It's solidly built and takes a fair old bashing (always used on drunken nights out :embarassed: ).

I've uploaded some photos so you can take a look at the results of using the camera - Flickr: Photos from Lloydwatkin

Lloyd

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am going to buy a Fujifilm F31fd next month, Fuji make a housing for this camera and it is ulta small, I estimate it to be not much bigger on the face than a credit card. Cameras Underwater sell the package for £299 and this include 0.5Gb xD card and a leater case (for when its not in the housing).

Cameras Underwater: Fuji WP-FXF30 underwater housing and Ikelite 6154.20, 6154.30 for F20 and F30,F31fd

I have seen some great pictures taken by this camera and cant wait to buy one and get into the water!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Anything from the canon ixus range is small enough as a pocket digital camera. It's not so great in the UK as there's not enough light (so it's all macro work, then again all my shots were inside wrecks).

Gives you just enough control without being complicated. If you get into the photography bit you can always get something most suitable (again a canon though ;)).

I have the ixus 700 which is a 7MPixel camera, there's newer versions now though. It's solidly built and takes a fair old bashing (always used on drunken nights out :embarassed: ).

I've uploaded some photos so you can take a look at the results of using the camera - Flickr: Photos from Lloydwatkin

Lloyd
Awesome photos, Lloyd! Were they all taken using the IXUS 700? What did you use for lighting? - I find it hard to believe that you were using just the camera's own built in flash!

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Ditto.

I can't wait to get out to the Red Sea in November and if I can wangle my way onto a fortnight training trip being arranged by the gym at work, September too :)

·
I like my login so much I put my name on it...
1,451 Posts
Awesome photos, Lloyd! Were they all taken using the IXUS 700? What did you use for lighting? - I find it hard to believe that you were using just the camera's own built in flash!
That's nice of you to say :) Yes all on internal flash, and some editing in photoshop, no more than levels and some colour correction (not too much as manually set white balance on camera, usually using sand below).

Edit: Housing for the ixus comes with a bit of diffusing plastic so you don't get too much of a direct beam with it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
totally agree excllant pics lloyd, i am after a fuji f30-31 or 40fd for trip to sharm in july, cant decide wich to get its always give and take, no one camera does everything.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
totally agree excllant pics lloyd, i am after a fuji f30-31 or 40fd for trip to sharm in july, cant decide wich to get its always give and take, no one camera does everything.
I get the ikmpression that the F30fd is a technically more advanced camera than the F40fd despite what the model numbers may suggest! If you're buying a Fuji, the F31fd is the model to go for...

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
hi bardo i agree but the bonus of f40 is it takes both types of memory cards and my laptop wont do sd cards
I assume you mean XD rather than SD cards as the F31fd won't do SD cards either! To be honest, it's Fuji's stubborn commitment to XD that has turned me off their cameras - if the F31fd supported SD, I'd have bought one in a flash! As it is, I went for a Canon IXUS 75 instead which I use with an Inon fish eye lens... lovely! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts